Favorite Georgia Tech Defensive Stand Of All Time

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Nov 15, 1952 vs. Alabama. I believe this may have been the first nationally televised college (regular season?) football game. Alabama was ahead 3-0 in the second half, first down on our 5 yard line and a opportunity to basically put the game away. Jackie Rudolph, all of 160 lbs, saved the game on fourth down:
The $125,000 Tackle (November 15, 1952)
Georgia Tech 7, No. 12 Alabama 3. In the most exciting game, at that time, in Tech annals, Jackie Rudolph’s “$125,000 tackle” of Bobby Marlow helped preserve the victory, earned Tech a Sugar Bowl bid (and the $125,000 payout) but also preserved the Jackets’ 12-0 season and the Institute’s third national title.
Dean Griffin (Dean of Students) had a blown up picture of Rudolph's tackle (turned Marlow upside down on about the 2 yard line) that spanned an entire wall of his office.
https://tshf.net/halloffame/jake-rudolph

Nice article on Jake Rudolph from the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame:):cool::D:smuggrin:

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that Isaiah Johnson not only forced a goal line fumble vs. the Mutts in 2014 but he recovered another one as well. And then DJ White came up with the game winning INT in overtime.

But it would be a tie for #1 on my list for favorite with the 2008 FSU goal line stand.

I saw both in person and the elation of the Tech fans in 2008 gives it the edge over the dejection of the Mutt fans in 2014.

1(a) FSU 2008
1(b) UGA 2014

Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Nice topic! The 2008 FSU game had a fumble at the goal line. So I'm not sure if that counts, but if it does, I think that would be my favorite. Thank you Cooper Taylor's helmet!
That was my first REAL tech game aside from a cupcake game here and there when I was little.
That game was the one that started my fandom of GT football

LibertyTurns

Banned
Dean Griffin (Dean of Students) had a blown up picture of Rudolph's tackle (turned Marlow upside down on about the 2 yard line) that spanned an entire wall of his office.
Must have been awesome having Institute leadership actually caring!!!

Edit: I’ve heard and seen some signs that that new guy Cabrera does.

Last edited:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
That was an awesome game to have been at. I was there with my mom and my daughter and it was pandemonium when the clock was 00:00.
I had nosebleed seats on the opposite end. We heard some people going crazy on that side of the field. We didn’t know wtf was going for what felt like an eternity. Then they announced Tech ball. Then everyone else went crazy lol

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
There was a little guy who made a fourth down stop near the goal line against Alabama in that '62 game...literally knocked himself out doing it and had to be helped off the field. The guy he stopped outweighed him by probably 40 or 50 pounds. I know McNames was the hero of that game (interception and scored the TD), but it wasn't him, I don't believe. I read it somewhere but can't dig it up now. Does anybody know who I'm talking about? They ought to put up a plaque in the stadium commemorating that play.

Mike McNames made the most memorable tackles in that game on the GL..... Don Toner made the win clinching INT.... never met McNames.... met Toner a couple of years ago at a Letterwinners Tailgate.... very nice man.... he was surprised someone remembered he made the INT, but he did correct me it was off Jack Hurlbut, not Namath.

This may not be the GOAT GL stand by GT, but it's in the Top Three & is certainly the best known of the Dodd Era.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Mike McNames made the most memorable tackles in that game on the GL..... Don Toner made the win clinching INT.... never met McNames.... met Toner a couple of years ago at a Letterwinners Tailgate.... very nice man.... he was surprised someone remembered he made the INT, but he did correct me it was off Jack Hurlbut, not Namath.

This may not be the GOAT GL stand by GT, but it's in the Top Three & is certainly the best known of the Dodd Era.

I read that Dodd said the win over Alabama in '62 was his personal favorite (of all his 165 wins).