Favorite Counter run, run

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
With the number runs we have, what is your favorite counter run, run in CPJ offense and why? I consider this any run that is non regular triple or draw play since the play is designed to counter whatever the defense is doing, WR reverses, midline, midline triple, rockets etc. The why does not have to be anything intricate and you even need to know the name just as long as you can describe it. It can just be it looks cool to you. Mine is the counter rocket or it might be triple where the backside guard and tackle pull and lead the backside A back around. Like the one Orwin Smith ran for a touchdown against Kansas in 2011 on the first offensive play from scrimmage. I just enjoy seeing the backside guard and tackle pull. I was just curious what every one else liked.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have this one play, I'm not sure what it's called, where the ball is faked to the Bback going one way, then it's handed off to an Aback going the other. The ball still goes up the middle, just on the other side of the center. I like that one!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
With the number runs we have, what is your favorite counter run, run in CPJ offense and why? I consider this any run that is non regular triple or draw play since the play is designed to counter whatever the defense is doing, WR reverses, midline, midline triple, rockets etc. The why does not have to be anything intricate and you even need to know the name just as long as you can describe it. It can just be it looks cool to you. Mine is the counter rocket or it might be triple where the backside guard and tackle pull and lead the backside A back around. Like the one Orwin Smith ran for a touchdown against Kansas in 2011 on the first offensive play from scrimmage. I just enjoy seeing the backside guard and tackle pull. I was just curious what every one else liked.
CPJ had not planned to run that play against Kansas on the first snap. He woke up at 4:30 that a.m. and starting pacing. Everything he had seen on film and that he knew about our team made him scrap the original sequence. He redesigned--and what resulted on that first play went to the house!!

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ had not planned to run that play against Kansas on the first snap. He woke up at 4:30 that a.m. and starting pacing. Everything he had seen on film and that he knew about our team made him scrap the original sequence. He redesigned--and what resulted on that first play went to the house!!

This is a great little story. For me, it adds to the lore of CPJ. I can only imagine CPJ doing this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hope not off topic but the play where Days took it to the house against Missy State in the Orange Bowl has been described as a simple dive play but it feels almost like a counter because it is "left handed" and it seems more times than not our dives are either right up the middle or to the right. Does anyone else know what I mean? We seem to get a defense leaning a certain way by running a lot to the right and then we do a quick hitter to the left and it feels like we just gave the defense whip lash as they try to adjust.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
That's cool. Thanks for sharing. It's good to know a more human side to Coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hope not off topic but the play where Days took it to the house against Missy State in the Orange Bowl has been described as a simple dive play but it feels almost like a counter because it is "left handed" and it seems more times than not our dives are either right up the middle or to the right. Does anyone else know what I mean? We seem to get a defense leaning a certain way by running a lot to the right and then we do a quick hitter to the left and it feels like we just gave the defense whip lash as they try to adjust.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Not off topic at all. I don't think it was blocked as a triple so it was in effect a counter as I defined it originally. I remember a couple of dives that were designed to break off tackle like that that Dwyer took to the house as well. One was against FSU in '09. I cannot remember the quarter though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

1:36:52 mark

Our second td in the Georgia game. Laskey takes the handoff and runs left between the TE - Joe, (I know we don't have one, but we have 3 linemen left of Freddie on this play) and the LG - Braun, who pulls around and creates the seam by blasting the LB who has crept up on the LOS.

ps. Watch how Braun and Perkins create the seam. Braun takes out the LB and Perkins flawlessly seals off the MLB on the inside. The rest is all Laskey who hits the hole so fast the safeties are left holding their jocks.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Early on in our option days, I loved the Freeze Option Play with Dwyer

It was absolutely deadly 1-2 times a game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We have this one play, I'm not sure what it's called, where the ball is faked to the Bback going one way, then it's handed off to an Aback going the other. The ball still goes up the middle, just on the other side of the center. I like that one!
I was thinking about the same exact play. I do think we run it off of the tackles outside hip aswell, but I might have seen that happen just because the middle got clogged up.