Favorite 2021 GT FB Memories

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For what it’s worth, I thought that we needed to win the following week and have two back-to-back wins to be really turning the corner. The week after UNC needed the best coaching job of the year. It needed new wrinkles on offense and defense, and to build on the win. We didn't seem to roll out anything new for the following game, and had the train wreck against Pitt.

These two onsides against UVA were great though.

At the 2:56 mark of this video, my eyes were as big as proverbial saucers. Forgetting the kickoff recovery rules, I thought Thomas was headed for The House.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You would think that helped, but even Curry’s good years weren’t all that great. The tail end of Curry’s tenure overlapped my undergrad days.
He also had the advantage that his surrounding coaches weren’t all that innovative.
Even accounting for rule changes, I’d confidently put the top coaches of this era against the top coaches of the 70’s and 80’s. It’s a different era now, and coaching today is ahead of where it was even 20 years ago. There’s very little margin of error.
I do think there are outside experts that could help our coaches a lot. There are far more that would waste time and energy though—we’d need to be picky
Here is a rule that I follow which seems helpful. Don't compare coaches, players, teams, etc. from past eras with the present. It is a fool's errand at best.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The tail end of Curry’s tenure overlapped my undergrad days.
He also had the advantage that his surrounding coaches weren’t all that innovative.
More then you know. One reason Bama hired Curry was because he would bring with him Tech's computer programs and scouting methods used in recruiting. Nobody in this part of the country had anything like it at the time.

Query: what isn't this still a Tech strength? Easy answer = lack of money. More complicated answer (I think) = a failure to hire people who could do it because they won't, in many cases, be "football people". Generate and use the data.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Young college coaches that dig in to tech and use it at high competition level get better fast.
I wish I thought this was enough. Imho, we need to find the Bill James clones and hire them. I would guess that young college coaches seldom have the educational background to plan data collection strategies, collect the data, and analyze it usefully. This is an area where football is eons behind baseball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Me, too, and I was still hopeful of at least a bowl game after Duke. Then the wheels came off.
Agree.
My seats were right near the bar where the cold beer was orange bowl like.
The beer and post game with all the students singing ramblin wreck , i was thinking get on board the gt train.

Then we found out the good unc skill players were in nfl and no one had ever seen a defense based on letting the wr catch the ball and then stripping the ball. Hearing cgc and thack talk about effort based turn overs sounded stupid.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I wish I thought this was enough. Imho, we need to find the Bill James clones and hire them. I would guess that young college coaches seldom have the educational background to plan data collection strategies, collect the data, and analyze it usefully. This is an area where football is eons behind baseball.
The coaching growth i am talking about is in the ability to see in real time whats happening all over the field . We have watch games for years. He does so much film study w his phone. Sends it to buddies and they talk txt. We were at a texas hs playoff game and he was answering txts from head coach on sidelines. Are they ready for they drawn up enough for the long bomb to the good wr- yes - next play bomb to wr. Young guys are learning fast. I have heard Cpj could see it all and remember every play.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but weren't we 5 for 5 in onside kicks? Has that ever happened before? I wonder if that's some kind of record.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but weren't we 5 for 5 in onside kicks? Has that ever happened before? I wonder if that's some kind of record.
Actually, I looked it up and the streak dates back to last year. Still, it's impressive, and our touchback ranking improved dramatically:

Kelley has had five successful onside kicks in a row dating back to last season. The odds of that happening, according to The 33rd Team’s data?
Approximately 0.076%. That’s seven one-hundredths of one percent.

Touchback % – NCAA Ranking
2017: No. 124
2018: No. 102
2019: No. 130
2020: No. 92
2021: No. 36

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I looked it up and the streak dates back to last year. Still, it's impressive, and our touchback ranking improved dramatically:

Kelley has had five successful onside kicks in a row dating back to last season. The odds of that happening, according to The 33rd Team’s data?
Approximately 0.076%. That’s seven one-hundredths of one percent.

Touchback % – NCAA Ranking
2017: No. 124
2018: No. 102
2019: No. 130
2020: No. 92
2021: No. 36
So Jude Kelley 2021 MVP? I'm down