When does Pastner feel heat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm definitely not going with 87-43-12-9-16

Meanwhile I'm basking in the glow of getting a reply from @Peacone36 . He hasn't spoken to me in years. Maybe he forgot he hates me?
who knows no GIF by The Sean Ward Show

I don't hate anybody.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m watching tomorrow night😉

The win last night was a nice reprieve. I still like Pastner but agree he needs to go if we don't show a lot of improvement later this season or next year.

Money is the Athletic Assn problem and football needs to get fixed first since its where most of the money comes from and is spent. And just let baseball run, we have our HC In Waiting. The rest of our sports, WBB, Volleyball, etc are very respectable.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I know I know… last year was a letdown. But to be fair when you lose your two best players to the draft you most likely never win. I’ve seen some fans cry for Pastner to be fired. I think we should give him two more seasons to see how he does. Now that he has Ron Bell and the NCAA off his back, he has all his scholarships and recruiting opportunities available for him. We have help from the portal and he’s recruiting pretty decently, and the guys he brought in last year like Kelly, Smith, and Coleman have lots of potential. It won’t happen immediately. Expect another mediocre year this season because this years roster is very young and need to learn how to play together. But give it time, it’ll eventually click.

When you win an ACC Championship you should be able to recruit players to replace those champions that were lost. Deebo Jalon and Miles were already signed when Pastner “won” the ACCT.

The fruits of that labor died on the vine. Instead, it’s just business as usual, middling MM transfers and project foreign bigs that will end up transferring down because now we don’t even have Rev to coach em up.

We can’t even play our best big man because square peg round hole. We’re trying to run an offense similar to what worked for Lammers, well Howard ain’t Lammers. So we bench him instead of catering to his strengths.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
When you win an ACC Championship you should be able to recruit players to replace those champions that were lost. Deebo Jalon and Miles were already signed when Pastner “won” the ACCT.

The fruits of that labor died on the vine. Instead, it’s just business as usual, middling MM transfers and project foreign bigs that will end up transferring down because now we don’t even have Rev to coach em up.

We can’t even play our best big man because square peg round hole. We’re trying to run an offense similar to what worked for Lammers, well Howard ain’t Lammers. So we bench him instead of catering to his strengths.
Well said.

Sothron

Georgia Tech Fan
I know I am the new guy here but I've been a fan since that great point guard in my avatar played for Tech. Yes, I'm that old. I have to ask for the people who want Pastner fired:

What is your realistic expectations for both this program and any future HC hire? I have to stress the word realistic here. I well remember the Cremins era and how wonderful it was to have a very good if not great some years Tech program to get behind. I want to see those days return but realistically I don't know if they ever will. CBB has changed so drastically even over the last few years.

Is Tech still a premier destination program? We know the honest answer to that. Has Pastner worked each year to make it a little better? In my opinion, yes. I think Pastner has done the best realistic job he could be expected to do with the facilities, recruiting and other tools around him.

Until 2K or EA decide to make college basketball games again for consoles I am afraid we aren't going to get a chance to relive our own youth or whatever dreams we hold to making Tech great again. I just don't think there is a realistic scenario at this point where a new coach would come in and wave a wand and suddenly it is 1990 all over again.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t say never for Tech. You can look at a program like Rutgers that has a lot of parallels to Tech. They bring in Steve Pikiell from Stony Brook for pennies on the dollar having not made the tournament in 2.5 decades. Their facilities are atrocious. He turns the program around in 2019, they sell out a raucous RAC (and win) against ranked rival Seton Hall and the place hasn’t been empty since that game, is now referred to as the Trapezoid of Terror, and is one of the toughest places for opponents to win and one of the hottest tickets on secondary markets. I think Pikiell is on record saying their home court is probably close to a 15 point swing per game due to the energy on defense and loss of composure by opponents on offense. A huge run in the middle of the second half pretty much salted away their game against ranked Indiana this past Saturday. They have a Top 50 recruit coming in next season and are about to start funneling all the best kids in NYC into their program (poor Syracuse).

One of the biggest differences is when we were finally good, fans didn’t get to experience it live. They channeled an 80s RAC reincarnation that mirrors our failed attempt at reviving the Thrillerdome. The fan interest simply isn’t there and our only recruiting hook at Tech is that you get a good degree and you get a shot at the UNCs and Dukes who didn’t offer you.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The ACC Championship team evolved into a very good team by the end of that year. That bought him time.

IMO, Pastner messed up when he waited on Jose and Moses. He should have been actively looking for their replacements in the portal or high school well before they announced their intentions.

Now we are left with an under developed roster and no answer down low. Jalon Moore looks like Moses 2.0, so he could end up being a stud in a couple years, but it might be too late if this trend continues.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I get the feeling he cannot recruit big men nor coach them up.

The issue I've had is that we don't seem to recruit "modern" bigs ....

... Timeout for a disclaimer. I hate the "modern" big. Everybody wanna be a 6'10" guard nowadays, jakkin' up 3's when a simple baby hook would be devastating these days since no-dayum-body is physical enough to defend a good low post game well anymore, but I digress.....

.... these guys, for better or worse, wanna showcase perimeter skills since that's what they think gets them to the next level. We don't seem to offer or highlight that, so we don't get any traction with bigs other than in the transfer-up portal market.

I had this criticism of Reveno and it's the same now, if not worse.

(I defy yall to find a more [insert more appropriate word for 'bipolar'] post than this one.)

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I know I am the new guy here but I've been a fan since that great point guard in my avatar played for Tech. Yes, I'm that old. I have to ask for the people who want Pastner fired:

What is your realistic expectations for both this program and any future HC hire? I have to stress the word realistic here. I well remember the Cremins era and how wonderful it was to have a very good if not great some years Tech program to get behind. I want to see those days return but realistically I don't know if they ever will. CBB has changed so drastically even over the last few years.

Is Tech still a premier destination program? We know the honest answer to that. Has Pastner worked each year to make it a little better? In my opinion, yes. I think Pastner has done the best realistic job he could be expected to do with the facilities, recruiting and other tools around him.

Until 2K or EA decide to make college basketball games again for consoles I am afraid we aren't going to get a chance to relive our own youth or whatever dreams we hold to making Tech great again. I just don't think there is a realistic scenario at this point where a new coach would come in and wave a wand and suddenly it is 1990 all over again.
Welcome to the block! It's great to get new neighbors.
Is Tech still a premier destination program? I think the ACC still is for hoops, so somewhat by default I think GT is as well. Recruiting is always a challenge to find fit guys, and that has been a struggle at times. It wouldn't surprise me to see Josh move on in the near future before the Battman comes looking for him.

JonathanV

Georgia Tech Fan
This has always been my thought on Pastner. He's nowhere close to elite, but given where his pay falls among ACC coaches, he often outperforms expectations. Until finances change, we either keep Pastner or start gambling with risky hires.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

I was there when you were. Price, Salley, Yvonne Joseph. Heck, you may remember Brooke Steppe and Anthony Byrd. :)

Like football coaches, basketball coaches are expensive, too, and the revenue is different. But ever since CPH, we've been "making do", and I'm tired of it.

We can compete with Duke and Carolina for the ACC title again. We just need the right coach. And it might be nice to find a few kids that turn out to be future NBA all-stars along the way.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've heard that Pastner doesn't have any NIL money. I don't know if it's true or not.

The problem with football and basketball is no money. People on the football board are (one again) talking about academics holding us back, but it's money that is holding us back.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I've heard that Pastner doesn't have any NIL money. I don't know if it's true or not.

The problem with football and basketball is no money. People on the football board are (one again) talking about academics holding us back, but it's money that is holding us back.
Any economist will tell you incentives work. I know the folks here are all ride or die, but we are not a jock school and a good chunk of the fanbase needs a good team incentive to justify getting engaged. So here’s the formula:

Go to the games, be loud and contribute to creating huge runs and ending opponent runs, be an attractive fanbase recruits/transfers dream of playing in front of nightly, win games, and watch the money start coming in. I mentioned in another thread that has been the Rutgers playbook to a T. And the good news is you’re in direct control of those first 2 items.

Last edited:

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Any economist will tell you incentives work. I know the folks here are all ride or die, but we are not a jock school and a good chunk of the fanbase needs a good team incentive to justify getting engaged. So here’s the formula:

Go to the games, be loud and contribute to creating huge runs and ending opponent runs, be an attractive fanbase recruits/transfers dream of playing in front of nightly, win games, and watch the money start coming in. I mentioned in another thread that has been the Rutgers playbook to a T. And the good news is you’re in direct control of those first 2 items.
Any assistant football coach will tell you that the first thing a recruit asks is: "How much are you going to pay me?" I'm sure basketball is the same. Money or enthusiastic crowd? The recruit will take the new car.

Go to the games? Over half of our grads leave the state. How do they go to the games? The GTAA has never understood its market. The market is different than the market for State U.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think until we get NIL figured out BBall is a tough deal. The team size is so small that even buying 2 guys (a post and a guard) enables you do make some real noise and do some tourney level damage.

We just don't have, what we don't have yet. I think CJP has done an admirable job but agreed we have got to deploy some $$ to the recruiting world if we want sustained success and post season appearances.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Any assistant football coach will tell you that the first thing a recruit asks is: "How much are you going to pay me?" I'm sure basketball is the same. Money or enthusiastic crowd? The recruit will take the new car.

Go to the games? Over half of our grads leave the state. How do they go to the games? The GTAA has never understood its market. The market is different than the market for State U.
I sat in on a presentation by a couple of assistant coaches and SID types from several ACC teams BB teams - including some of the top teams. One of the assistant coaches stated that when he goes to talk to a top recruit (say top 20 or so - my reading between the lines) he generally does not talk to the recruit himself but to the NIL agent. The agent says the number is $800K or whatever it is. The coach has to be able to say "OK that is doable" before he gets to talk to the player. He said some don't talk to the recruiter until a contract has been presented.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I sat in on a presentation by a couple of assistant coaches and SID types from several ACC teams BB teams - including some of the top teams. One of the assistant coaches stated that when he goes to talk to a top recruit (say top 20 or so - my reading between the lines) he generally does not talk to the recruit himself but to the NIL agent. The agent says the number is $800K or whatever it is. The coach has to be able to say "OK that is doable" before he gets to talk to the player. He said some don't talk to the recruiter until a contract has been presented.
Not substantiated or seen published but I live between UNC and Duke. I was talking to a friend at our pool last summer who is a UNC grad plus their law school. We were talking the NIL impact on athletics. He said that Bacot was guaranteed $500K to play this season according to insiders. They want to win a NCAA championship and that amount of money made it easy for him to stay another year. He didn't mention any of the other players. Bacot is an all ACC player and upperclassman who has proven his value. He is not some HS prospect which puts him in a different category IMO. I had no idea at the time the numbers being thrown around were that huge. That number may be exaggerated but I wouldn't be surprised based on some of the numbers being thrown around in football.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Not substantiated or seen published but I live between UNC and Duke. I was talking to a friend at our pool last summer who is a UNC grad plus their law school. We were talking the NIL impact on athletics. He said that Bacot was guaranteed $500K to play this season according to insiders. They want to win a NCAA championship and that amount of money made it easy for him to stay another year. He didn't mention any of the other players. Bacot is an all ACC player and upperclassman who has proven his value. He is not some HS prospect which puts him in a different category IMO. I had no idea at the time the numbers being thrown around were that huge. That number may be exaggerated but I wouldn't be surprised based on some of the numbers being thrown around in football.
Bacot isn't a super great NBA prospect in 2022. He was absolutely right to make $1M+ on NIL deals rather than flounder for $50k in the G League. I believe he has another year of eligibility left too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him grad transfer to a Texas and make even more money next season.