When does Pastner feel heat

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I know I know… last year was a letdown. But to be fair when you lose your two best players to the draft you most likely never win. I’ve seen some fans cry for Pastner to be fired. I think we should give him two more seasons to see how he does. Now that he has Ron Bell and the NCAA off his back, he has all his scholarships and recruiting opportunities available for him. We have help from the portal and he’s recruiting pretty decently, and the guys he brought in last year like Kelly, Smith, and Coleman have lots of potential. It won’t happen immediately. Expect another mediocre year this season because this years roster is very young and need to learn how to play together. But give it time, it’ll eventually click.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
People aren’t on him because of a letdown last season, it’s because he’s been a letdown every season but one. And that one season was because he had Moses and Jose, who were effectively unrecruited NBA talent.

I’m not ready to give up on him, yet, but his seat is hot and he shouldn’t have been extended.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
People aren’t on him because of a letdown last season, it’s because he’s been a letdown every season but one. And that one season was because he had Moses and Jose, who were effectively unrecruited NBA talent.

I’m not ready to give up on him, yet, but his seat is hot and he shouldn’t have been extended.
What about 2016-17 and 2019-20? Pastner has done more with less than any coach in the ACC. I'm actually surprised to see this thread - I thought Pastner had a fairly solid approval rating. It's rare that I've ever seen Pastner's GT teams quit (although Jose's leadership probably gets some credit there too). They've always played hard, high-effort, blue-collar basketball and definitely punch above their weight. He's got my thumbs up.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
What about 2016-17 and 2019-20? Pastner has done more with less than any coach in the ACC. I'm actually surprised to see this thread - I thought Pastner had a fairly solid approval rating. It's rare that I've ever seen Pastner's GT teams quit (although Jose's leadership probably gets some credit there too). They've always played hard, high-effort, blue-collar basketball and definitely punch above their weight. He's got my thumbs up.
1 NCAAT with 0 NCAAT wins in 6 seasons is not a thumbs up from me. He’s responsible for recruiting, so he gets no credit for having less talent than the rest of the ACC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So he's responsible for recruiting so he gets no credit for doing well with less talent than the rest of the ACC in his first year before he had a real chance to recruit anyone? And the one year you can't hand wave away is because of players he recruited, yet somehow in this case he isn't responsible for recruiting them.

Yeah, okay bud.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting disappointments aren't all on Pastner though. It starts at the Hill with Board of Regents and cascades down to GTAA. Our bagman/NIL infrastructure is either completely missing or very lacking. Pastner has also been hamstrung by the Paul Hewitt contract and Brian Gregory hire. Most elite athletes have no clue Georgia Tech has a decent basketball history and it's likely Jose Alvarado is the only NBA player they associate with Georgia Tech. We are stuck having to hunt out under the radar players for the time being (although I'm hoping Eski can help sell Georgia Tech as the premier team for players who want to get an elite degree and play high level basketball). If you want to start to fix it, you can donate to the program or buy season tickets. Getting Top 150 guys on campus for visits where the louder half of the crowd is the away fans isn't a great impression. If I want to stay in the southeast, I'd rather go play in front of raucous sold out crowds with energy like Auburn.

I am a pretty young alumnus so I didn't get to enjoy any of the Final Fours and Tournament success, so maybe my barometer is different.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I know… last year was a letdown. But to be fair when you lose your two best players to the draft you most likely never win. I’ve seen some fans cry for Pastner to be fired. I think we should give him two more seasons to see how he does. Now that he has Ron Bell and the NCAA off his back, he has all his scholarships and recruiting opportunities available for him. We have help from the portal and he’s recruiting pretty decently, and the guys he brought in last year like Kelly, Smith, and Coleman have lots of potential. It won’t happen immediately. Expect another mediocre year this season because this years roster is very young and need to learn how to play together. But give it time, it’ll eventually click.
OK, Mrs. Pastner

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
For the most part, it has been exciting basketball. I didn’t like the offense he ran last year.
If his core players stay their full time and don’t transfer, I think there will be some good things happening with this team.
It was exciting in 2020-21. The NIT run was exciting, but that was still the NIT and it was exciting as an indication of our future. Outside of that its been a pretty boring 6 years.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
He is likeable, engaging, a bit goofy and plays well with the GT fanbase overall
Nothing is going to happen with Pastner until the football situation declares itself
Despite the likeability, GT was second lowest in home attendance with 4700 per game. That is an issue.
One trip to the NCAAs in 6 years is an issue.

We have young talent but are close to starting over with that young talent. This is not get old stay old. It is 4-5 year cycles.
IMHO if football were cruising he would already be on a hot seat. As is, he has a couple of years to get the talent in the program to dancing level.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
In two of the six years he’s been here, he won ACC Coach of the Year and won the ACC. In arguably his third-best season here, we finished top 5 in the conference. Considering what we were when he took over, it’s been about as solid a six-year run as we can reasonably ask for.

In his "second best season" according to you, he finished 11th in the ACC. In his "third best season," we were suspended because of his mistake.

I like the guy so I don't want to push this too hard, but he has a losing record both overall and in the ACC. He's finished 10th or worse 4 out of 6 seasons. He's missed the tournament 5 out of 6 seasons. He publicly embarrassed the program with the Ron Bell scandal.

Then there's this photo I took during the LSU game at State Farm Arena. This was with about 13 min left in the second half. We have the least enthusiastic fans in the ACC.

IMG_3420.jpg

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
For the most part, it has been exciting basketball. I didn’t like the offense he ran last year.
If his core players stay their full time and don’t transfer, I think there will be some good things happening with this team.
That part about the offense

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact that there is enough "proof" for both sides of this argument reveals what is closest to the truth...Pastner's time as GT head basketball coach has been up-and-down.

He hasn't shown an ability to CONSISTENTLY recruit at a high level or coach his teams into the dance. I, like many of you, really like the guy and I am rooting for him. Last year was a disappointment and the team needs to improve this year for him to keep his job. We've been patient, and we've seen flashes of brilliance. We've also seen lapses in judgment and stretches of really poor play. I don't see his seat being hot, but it's at least warm (isn't it always in this business?). Let's all do our part and cheer the jackets on whether win or lose (and of course, give if you can). Go Jackets!

slugboy

Staff member
He really could have helped himself last year with two good years in a row--even ending last year with an NIT near-miss kind of season.

In the NCAA season (two seasons ago), a lot of basketball analysts were breaking down our defensive schemes while they were looking at schools like Loyola-Chicago to discuss their offensive schemes. We were pretty good on offense during our NCAA season, but mostly Pastner has made his bones on defense.

The gripes Pastner has gotten have been on recruiting and offense. He had his best recruiting year last year. He did OK this season.

He's an A or A+ coach on defense. His marks on offense aren't as good. He needs to shore that up.

On offense, it looks like he's re-evaluating some of his ideas. We'll know more once we come closer to tipping off. The one thing he could do to increase fan interest is get the offense going--get it more fluid, and move more towards a system that makes its players look good. The buzz is that he's doing that.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an amazing thread. he took over a dumpster fire of a team and instantly turned it around. He had a year or two that weren't great, but even his worst years have been better than what we had before he got here. Compare that to the football team, where we had a guy that was consistently winning whom we ran off for the current situation.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Irony of Pastner is when he was hired, we all thought we got a good recruiter but not that good of an X's and O's coach. Fast forward to now, his coaching and development has been pretty good, but recruiting was slow to ramp up until recent years.

I think the next two years will tell us a lot about Pastner. His best recruiting classes are "getting old" and he has a chance to do something in the ACC given all the turnover in the ACC coaching circle.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
In his "second best season" according to you, he finished 11th in the ACC. In his "third best season," we were suspended because of his mistake.

I like the guy so I don't want to push this too hard, but he has a losing record both overall and in the ACC. He's finished 10th or worse 4 out of 6 seasons. He's missed the tournament 5 out of 6 seasons. He publicly embarrassed the program with the Ron Bell scandal.

Then there's this photo I took during the LSU game at State Farm Arena. This was with about 13 min left in the second half. We have the least enthusiastic fans in the ACC.

View attachment 12871
to be fair there were not many LSU fan either. I checked the numbers for that game and only 6,000 people showed up in TOTAL.