Fanbase Size

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Different schools have different rules. An “alumnus” is anyone who at least attended the school. At Auburn, I believe it’s one semester. Texas A&M is similar. Tech requires one to have graduated the Institute.

I don’t think it’s snobbery. I agree with your sentiments. Perhaps a “Friend of Tech” …
If the prof didn't mean to be snobbish, he certainly could have worded it better.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes. I can't say I've ever come across a ugag fan saying to another that they are wearing the wrong shade of red.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Different schools have different rules. An “alumnus” is anyone who at least attended the school. At Auburn, I believe it’s one semester. Texas A&M is similar. Tech requires one to have graduated the Institute.

I don’t think it’s snobbery. I agree with your sentiments. Perhaps a “Friend of Tech” …
Lol this is like the most snobbish thing you can say. Nobody even said anything about the word “alumnus.”

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
At Penn St, the parents of the student get invited to be a part of the alumni (a lot of times they pay for it after all). They make a big deal about being a part of the family, even if you only supported someone through it.

Tech is not the same. My dad was at a GT function that was benefitting his father in law (who was a Tech grad). My dad had on a GT polo and has supported the Jackets since I attended. A professor came up to him and asked him when he went to Tech. When my dad said he was just the father of a grad and son-in-law of a grad, the professor said "so you're not a Tech man". This is the type of snobbery that I don't really think people realize rubs people the wrong way and is not really conducive to garnering more sidewalk support. I think welcoming supporting parents into the alumni association is the least we could do, and I don't see how it could possibly hurt anything.
That's true with a certain set of Tech grads, but I'd say that is not the norm. Anyone that knows how to answer "what's the good word?" is a Tech Man (or Woman) in my book.

At Tech, you're considered alumnus if you ever attended, even for 1 quarter. My younger brother spent a Fall quarter at Tech and then enrolled at Auburn, where he graduated. He is considered an alumnus. Jimmy Carter spent a summer before heading to Annapolis, and he's considered an alumnus.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT is a lot like the military academies in regard to shared experiences. I served in the Navy for 4 years and have no interest in the Naval Academy athletic programs. The academy grads have a shared experience that others cannot really grasp
without having done it. I contend that our athletes have an experience at GT that I cannot totally grasp either. They form a bond within their shared experience.
I'm from the "got out" era when one out of three didn't make it and the Hill could not have cared less. I have a bond with my former classmates and frat brothers who shared the same GT experience at the same time that I did.
I also have a great appreciation for anyone who is a fan of our athletic programs and welcome them to come share game experiences on campus. They are part of that GT family.
There will be more of them when we can build really competitive teams for them to see and be entertained.
When I was at Tech in the late 80's early 90's it was a 35% graduation rate. That's 1 in 3. The old saying was "look to your left, look to your right, one of the three of you will graduate."

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If the prof didn't mean to be snobbish, he certainly could have worded it better.

We are our own worst enemies sometimes. I can't say I've ever come across a ugag fan saying to another that they are wearing the wrong shade of red.
ugag tends to do a bit better on the branding and consistent color scheme thing than we do, solid bright red is pretty easy vs everyone's personal favorite shade of gold/yellow. I'd imagine though if a uga fan showed up to a game against Bama in a crimson red shirt he might hear a thing or two.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lol this is like the most snobbish thing you can say. Nobody even said anything about the word “alumnus.”
You're right. No one said the word "alumnus". He used the word "alumni". You are absolutely correct.

"At Penn St, the parents of the student get invited to be a part of the alumni (a lot of times they pay for it after all). They make a big deal about being a part of the family, even if you only supported someone through it."

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You're right. No one said the word "alumnus". He used the word "alumni". You are absolutely correct.

"At Penn St, the parents of the student get invited to be a part of the alumni (a lot of times they pay for it after all). They make a big deal about being a part of the family, even if you only supported someone through it."
And that wasn’t part of the post you quoted, and you’re still acting snobby. This is the type of behavior people are talking about when they say Tech folks are snobs. That “WeLL aCTuaLLy” stuff is what they’re talking about. Anybody who is a sidewalk fan of GT is a “Tech man.” There’s literally no reason for somebody who isn’t affiliated with the Institute to root for Tech athletics. Telling someone who is a father of a Tech student and the son-in-law of a Tech grad they aren’t a “Tech man” is snobbery 101. I can’t imagine any other southern university who wants to be competitive athletically using that kind of criteria when discussing fans.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And that wasn’t part of the post you quoted, and you’re still acting snobby. This is the type of behavior people are talking about when they say Tech folks are snobs. That “WeLL aCTuaLLy” stuff is what they’re talking about. Anybody who is a sidewalk fan of GT is a “Tech man.” There’s literally no reason for somebody who isn’t affiliated with the Institute to root for Tech athletics. Telling someone who is a father of a Tech student and the son-in-law of a Tech grad they aren’t a “Tech man” is snobbery 101. I can’t imagine any other southern university who wants to be competitive athletically using that kind of criteria when discussing fans.
I explained why the Professor may have had the position he did based on the poster's own words in his own post. Historically, a "Tech Man" is one who graduated. I didn't make the rule, I just referred to it. Don't like it? Call Angel Cabrera.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I explained why the Professor may have had the position he did based on the poster's own words in his own post. Historically, a "Tech Man" is one who graduated. I didn't make the rule, I just referred to it. Don't like it? Call Angel Cabrera.
Lol. Digging an even deeper hole there.
Is this how you look when somebody who is a Tech fan says they didn’t graduate from here?
Ew Reaction GIF by Martha of Miami

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lol. Digging an even deeper hole there.
Is this how you look when somebody who is a Tech fan says they didn’t graduate from here?
Ew Reaction GIF by Martha of Miami
Once again, the communication process has broken down. I'm merely referring you to how the GT Alumni Association defines an alumnus. I never said anything about athletics. You are the one making that connection.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I live in northeast Cobb, when I go to Costco or Walmart or Target they have racks loaded with dawg gear and KSU gear. There's not a Georgia Tech t-shirt or ball cap to be seen. I've been told it's the 'Hill' is so discriminating in who they allow to sell their gear or manufacturer their apparel. If, I were Tech I would try and sell and distribute my name wherever I could.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Once again, the communication process has broken down. I'm merely referring you to how the GT Alumni Association defines an alumnus. I never said anything about athletics. You are the one making that connection.
Well, you didn't really say anything about the GT Alumni Association.

This just isn't true of Tech. I gave two examples I know for sure the school recognizes. My brother gets solicitations for donations from Roll Call (GT Alumni Association) and is in the alumni directory. So, the highlighted part and your assertion above are not true, in practice, regardless of what is "official," you've read, or been told.

Edit: He was in the Alumni Directory. He has since stopped contributing to Roll Call and is no longer considered a member of the GT Alumni Association, even though he is still considered an alumnus.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
YOU said the professor was in the right to argue someone who is the father of a Tech student is not a Tech man. The words alumni, alum, or alumnus were never mentioned. They were mentioned in relationship to Penn State, never in relationship to Georgia Tech. YOU then wanted to get into an argument about how the words: alum, alumni, alumnus can and should be used when referring to past students. Also, what you’re saying about being referred to as an alumni isn’t even true. You are automatically entered into the Georgia Tech Alumni Association upon graduation, but any former student is also an alumni, whether they graduated or not. Jimmy Carter is considered a Georgia Tech alum, and he did not graduate. YOU are continuing to act in an extremely snobbish manor because you think only your way is correct, and everything outside of your view is incorrect. There is no gray area with you. There is no partial credit. It’s you’re right, everyone else is wrong 100% of the time. THAT is the snobbish behavior people reference when talking about Tech, and you are exhibiting that behavior currently. Maybe if you calmed down a little bit, and came down off your pedestal, you would see how that rubs people the wrong way. Maybe if there weren’t as many Tech fans who exhibited that type of behavior, we wouldn’t have as much trouble attracting sidewalk fans.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, you didn't really say anything about the GT Alumni Association.

This just isn't true of Tech. I gave two examples I know for sure the school recognizes. My brother gets solicitations for donations from Roll Call (GT Alumni Association) and is in the alumni directory. So, the highlighted part and your assertion above are not true, in practice, regardless of what is "official," you've read, or been told.
This is ridiculous. Do you even both to check facts? This, from the GT Alumni Association:

"By attending GT, you are automatically a member of the (Georgia Tech) Alumni Association upon graduation."

If you do not graduate, you may join the Student Alumni Association. I assume this is similar to Texas A&M's "Association of Former Students" but to my knowledge, the GT Alumni Association does not include the SAA in many of its activities.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I don't think only allowing Tech graduates to be a part of the alumni association is snobbery. I do believe including families is more inclusive, and I don't see the harm.

I wasn’t meaning to imply the alumni association is snobbish, but the professor. I do think the alumni association could do a better job of fostering relationships with parents that have invested as substantially in the school as the students have. I think something like “friends of tech” officially done through the alumni association. Was mainly just agreeing with the post I quoted and giving examples that show how another school does it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
YOU said the professor was in the right to argue someone who is the father of a Tech student is not a Tech man. The words alumni, alum, or alumnus were never mentioned. They were mentioned in relationship to Penn State, never in relationship to Georgia Tech. YOU then wanted to get into an argument about how the words: alum, alumni, alumnus can and should be used when referring to past students. Also, what you’re saying about being referred to as an alumni isn’t even true. You are automatically entered into the Georgia Tech Alumni Association upon graduation, but any former student is also an alumni, whether they graduated or not. Jimmy Carter is considered a Georgia Tech alum, and he did not graduate. YOU are continuing to act in an extremely snobbish manor because you think only your way is correct, and everything outside of your view is incorrect. There is no gray area with you. There is no partial credit. It’s you’re right, everyone else is wrong 100% of the time. THAT is the snobbish behavior people reference when talking about Tech, and you are exhibiting that behavior currently. Maybe if you calmed down a little bit, and came down off your pedestal, you would see how that rubs people the wrong way. Maybe if there weren’t as many Tech fans who exhibited that type of behavior, we wouldn’t have as much trouble attracting sidewalk fans.
I'm not arguing. I am simply stating the definition of what Georgia Tech considers an alumnus of the school and a member of the GT Alumni Association. The original poster made the comparison to Penn State, inferring why GT didn't do likewise. I simply explained it.

It's you who are having difficulty in understanding that different schools define alumni differently. And to my knowledge, Jimmy Carter is a former student but I'm not aware he's a member of the GT Alumni Association. If he is, fine. Then the GT Alumni org should update their info.

We all make better decisions when we refer to objective sources. I have. And ... you don't like it. Seems to me the problem is with you.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm not arguing. I am simply stating the definition of what Georgia Tech considers an alumnus of the school and a member of the GT Alumni Association. The original poster made the comparison to Penn State, inferring why GT didn't do likewise. I simply explained it.

It's you who are having difficulty in understanding that different schools define alumni differently. And to my knowledge, Jimmy Carter is a former student but I'm not aware he's a member of the GT Alumni Association. If he is, fine. Then the GT Alumni org should update their info.

We all make better decisions when we refer to objective sources. I have. And ... you don't like it. Seems to me the problem is with you.
Holy hell dude. You don’t have to be a member of the Alumni Association to be an alumni. Literally every school claims former students as alumni, unless they were kicked out for disciplinary reasons, graduated or not. Here’s a list of notable Georgia Tech alumni, about half of them didn’t graduate
Is Georgia Tech too good, to elitist to claim those who didn’t graduated as alums? I don’t think so. Because if so, that’s the same elitist snobbery everyone is talking about. It’s silly to do so.

God damn dude. YOU are the snob people talk about. How do you not understand that? Look in the mirror

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan

Must be a Georgia Tech alumnus/a.
  • An alumnus is defined as an individual who has an undergraduate or graduate degree(s) from Georgia Tech or has completed at least one semester at Georgia Tech and left good standing.
From the Alumni Association website.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Must be a Georgia Tech alumnus/a.
  • An alumnus is defined as an individual who has an undergraduate or graduate degree(s) from Georgia Tech or has completed at least one semester at Georgia Tech and left good standing.
From the Alumni Association website.
I stand corrected.

Funny. One doesn't have to rant and rave. Simply providing a link is sufficient.