Fanbase Size

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Whether or not failing out two thirds of people is good or not seems like it would have to be measured by whether or not those people could have learned the material if the school had better instruction or support.

Hard to say, obviously, but my take on todays higher test scores and grades and all is that kids are forced into a lot more structure at a much earlier age now. It’s a parental arms race to pad their college applications, but for a limited number of spots, so as far as applications go, it’s a zero sum game.

But the kids I know are WAY more used to and willing to do more schoolwork and studying than my friends ever were at that age. And my most recent new college grad hires in 2019-2022 have had a bit better work ethics than the 2009-2012 ones, anecdotally. So maybe it’s actually a good thing? (But then mental health wise… maybe not so much.)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Whether or not failing out two thirds of people is good or not seems like it would have to be measured by whether or not those people could have learned the material if the school had better instruction or support.

Hard to say, obviously, but my take on todays higher test scores and grades and all is that kids are forced into a lot more structure at a much earlier age now. It’s a parental arms race to pad their college applications, but for a limited number of spots, so as far as applications go, it’s a zero sum game.

But the kids I know are WAY more used to and willing to do more schoolwork and studying than my friends ever were at that age. And my most recent new college grad hires in 2019-2022 have had a bit better work ethics than the 2009-2012 ones, anecdotally. So maybe it’s actually a good thing? (But then mental health wise… maybe not so much.)
To me, those two brackets of new college grads are essentially the same kids. I’m old. You’d have to compare to 1999-02 to 19-22

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blegh.

We need to discuss — and focus on — the most important thing that is needed to increase our fanbase size:

Recruit a bunch of studs.

With NIL and the Transfer Portal now in vogue, we need to institute zero academic requirement in order to get a bunch of studs into our GT white and gold football uniforms, and put them on the field to compete against all the other like-minded college football teams.

Let me emphasize, one more time:

We need stud football players from now on. Not student-athletes.

Because NIL and Transfer Portal are for real football players, not real student-athletes.

Now. Let’s all get real here.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

We need to discuss — and focus on — the most important thing that is needed to increase our fanbase size:

With NIL and the Transfer Portal now in vogue, we need to institute zero academic requirement in order to get a bunch of studs into our GT white and gold football uniforms, and put them on the field to compete against all the other like-minded college football teams.

Because NIL and Transfer Portal are for real football players, not real student-athletes.

He speaks truth...if you wish to compete at the highest level.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

Your right to recruit at the highest level of football (and probably basketball as well). It looks like the current GT President would at least consider loosening academics but it would help to have additional degrees. In terms of NIL, we need both wealthy alumni and local businesses to open up their wallets. Local businesses are going to tend to go with UGA unless we start being more consistent ranked winners. It is absolute a question of priorities and whether being top tier in sports matters

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Your right to recruit at the highest level of football (and probably basketball as well). It looks like the current GT President would at least consider loosening academics but it would help to have additional degrees. In terms of NIL, we need both wealthy alumni and local businesses to open up their wallets. Local businesses are going to tend to go with UGA unless we start being more consistent ranked winners. It is absolute a question of priorities and whether being top tier in sports matters
Chicken and egg issue...winning consistnetly will draw more fans and more $$$...but we need more $$$ and fans in order to attract the studs...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Chicken and egg issue...winning consistnetly will draw more fans and more $$$...but we need more $$$ and fans in order to attract the studs...
It’s the chicken that comes first. We now have a new AD who comes from Alabama. He knows how it works at the highest competitive level, and he will implement it at Georgia Tech.

It won’t happen overnight. It’ll take a few years. Then the eggs will get rolling …

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, those two brackets of new college grads are essentially the same kids. I’m old. You’d have to compare to 1999-02 to 19-22

I wouldn’t have been in position to hire those folks myself. And in software we just don’t have that many of the former to get takes from coworkers about… The field has grown fast, so the younger cohorts dwarf the older ones. Especially since there was a big “don’t study that!!!” panic around outsourcing in those early 2000 years, right around when I started at GT myself. And comparing family in high school in the late-2000s to the late-2010s… things changed fast in the college prep arms race.

GT back in the 2000s was still pretty unsupportive of students, though. Less hostile than in the 70s, more than now. Hostile enough that it didn’t make sense to stick around after I realized I needed to change majors a second time and got pushback since my first and second year grades had sucked.

Maybe todays grads who have a less painful academic relationship with the institute won’t have the stockholm syndrome about it.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Got a 17 on my first Thermo test. Solid C. Got a 73 on the final. 3rd highest grade in the class. Got me a B. Only final that moved me up a grade. Most moved me down. Nothing like going from a B- (3.0) to a C+ (2.0) because of the final.
I had the no +/- system dialed in. Really allowed me to focus on the most important final exams during that week.

I may have one of the highest percentage of final grades ending in 0, 1, or 2 among all alumni.