Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Positives
-Long is WAYYYYBetter than P-nut
-Sims looks good has a few kinks to work out , but definitly better
-DJ Moore will make plays this year
-Secondary is not out of position as much

Negatives
-O line played good, but some pass pro was spotty Better than last year at run, but pass could be about the same
-Back up QB's if they are in we are in for it
-Didn't see keion don't know if his jersey was covered though
-WATER BREAK WATER BREAK!!!!! Let them Go into the swamp with bear bryant.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Sims and Gibson both looked pretty good. Sims really has a rocket arm, and can add that extra threat in the run game.
Sims had a keeper for a TD, I was thinking - does the safety really try to make that stop at the 1 on the starting QB? Regardless, Sims would have scored.
Both had very nice deep TD passes. I didn’t catch which receiver caught the one from Sims, but I believe it was Rutherford that caught the one from Gibson.
Sims had 1 pass that probably should have been intercepted but I really think it was a bad route by the tight end. The ball was thrown to the open area.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Sims and Gibson both looked pretty good. Sims really has a rocket arm, and can add that extra threat in the run game.
Sims had a keeper for a TD, I was thinking - does the safety really try to make that stop at the 1 on the starting QB? Regardless, Sims would have scored.
Both had very nice deep TD passes. I didn’t catch which receiver caught the one from Sims, but I believe it was Rutherford that caught the one from Gibson.
Sims had 1 pass that probably should have been intercepted but I really think it was a bad route by the tight end. The ball was thrown to the open area.
The one that could have been a pick was a bad route he had it there when he turned

slugboy

Staff member
Protecting your QBs in practice is a question of which bad habits you encourage. If you can’t touch the QB, the QB glides into the end zone standing straight up and they think they’re invulnerable M-F. They think they have all day in the pocket. Defenders practice good tackling on everyone but the QB.
If you put a flag football belt on the QB, you’ll get more sacks in practice, but that’s not a real tackle.
It’s not a BIG problem, but if the QB runs in scrimmages, it doesn’t tell you much positive. It’s not real

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
No mention of this in any fan day/scrimmage comments!

Attachments

• 00193E67-AFE2-4D11-824A-1CB17CC3B22C.jpeg
    00193E67-AFE2-4D11-824A-1CB17CC3B22C.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 214

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Basic comments
Sims looked good
OL is continuing to be juggled and may get settled after next weeks practices
Collins didn't identify any defensive standouts, but commented that the communication was better.
Ken also mentions that the play by both the offense and defense was sloppy in 2 minute drills.
Ken also mentioned that in one-on-one pass rush drills that the defensive player generally got the better of the offensive player.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Some observations after watching the scrimmage:

1. A serious scrimmage, no gimmicks and the music was not obnoxious.
2. Warmups had an interesting drill with CGC directing DBs doing bump and run. Not sure I saw much bump and run in the scrimmage, but an interesting drill
3. Long was with the tight ends and Wienke was with Sims coaching hard
4. Is Sims ADD. It just seems he loses focus. Or maybe just locking on the called receiver and is late looking for the secondary.
5. I thought the OLine did a decent job of pass blocking. Lots of blitzes today.
6. Two funny incidents, 33 broke free on a run and just dropped the ball. And 87 fell during a practice field goal attempt.
7. Refs were there and threw lots of flags. Not sure if that is a big deal or not.
8. Whoever is #0 on offense is a monster. Did not play, but physically impressive.
9. I still like Smith running the ball.

I tried to watch the dback play, but my attention kept getting drawn back to the ball. Some good plays, but lots of open receivers. Looks like Long likes screens and rolling back and hitting the tight ends.

The weather was great and maybe about a thousand fans.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer

2. Warmups had an interesting drill with CGC directing DBs doing bump and run. Not sure I saw much bump and run in the scrimmage, but an interesting drill
4. Is Sims ADD. It just seems he loses focus. Or maybe just locking on the called receiver and is late looking for the secondary.
5. I thought the OLine did a decent job of pass blocking. Lots of blitzes today.
6. Two funny incidents, 33 broke free on a run and just dropped the ball. And 87 fell during a practice field goal attempt.
7. Refs were there and threw lots of flags. Not sure if that is a big deal or not.
8. Whoever is #0 on offense is a monster. Did not play, but physically impressive.

I tried to watch the dback play, but my attention kept getting drawn back to the ball. Some good plays, but lots of open receivers. Looks like Long likes screens and rolling back and hitting the tight ends.

#0 on offense is the transfer WR from USCe. Big guy, but I wonder about his speed. The transfer from UCLA (#31) looked impressive on defense with his pass rush.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Thank you

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The Atlanta Journal Constitution: Jeff Sims' effective play highlights Georgia Tech scrimmage.

Some pics from the gallery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-210231.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-210231.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20220813-210108.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-210108.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20220813-210043.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-210043.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 139

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck

I feel better with what I saw today than the past 3 years. Plus Long unlike pnut Isn't a smug *** during his pressers or on the feild.