Fallen Tech Heroes

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There are obviously many more fallen Tech heroes (please feel free to use this thread to remind us of them), but two that got featured by AJC and RW:

Tharpe:
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/25/remembering-mack-tharpe-a-fallen-tech-war-hero/

Castleberry:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092609aaa.html
thanks for the post. Nice to read about them again, and today particularly. I would love to see Castleberry on film, to compare that speed and quickness with another Yellow Jacket of note, Thomas.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There's just a bit of film here:

Watch his initial move and you'll see why Frank Leahy told his Notre Dame team, "Gentlemen, this weekend you'll be facing the most dangerous runner in the United States." He had hips like Pele and a right decent top end.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's just a bit of film here:

Watch his initial move and you'll see why Frank Leahy told his Notre Dame team, "Gentlemen, this weekend you'll be facing the most dangerous runner in the United States." He had hips like Pele and a right decent top end.

I have read about and heard about this guy for years and years. Good to get a chance to see a bit of his flash. Looks like he would have made a great option QB, too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have read about and heard about this guy for years and years. Good to get a chance to see a bit of his flash. Looks like he would have made a great option QB, too.

Good book about him you've probably seen "Jackrabbit" {Amazon:
Jackrabbit: The Story of Clint Castleberry and the Improbable 1942 Georgia Tech Football Season }

On Memorial Day, I think about those who have lost their lives, but also those who have willingly been in combat and could have lost their lives. They are all heroes IMHO. Those with PTSD have paid a very high price that can't be repaid.

It would be really neat if the first GT Heisman winner would recognize Clint Castleberry.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Good book about him you've probably seen "Jackrabbit" {Amazon:
Jackrabbit: The Story of Clint Castleberry and the Improbable 1942 Georgia Tech Football Season }

On Memorial Day, I think about those who have lost their lives, but also those who have willingly been in combat and could have lost their lives. They are all heroes IMHO. Those with PTSD have paid a very high price that can't be repaid.

It would be really neat if the first GT Heisman winner would recognize Clint Castleberry.
I recently read the book. Of interest for many reasons including his B-24 assignment. I have a friend who was 91 just recently. Still active, and I drive over and pick him up for lunch occasionally. An interesting guy for many reasons, one of them being that straight off the Virginia farm he was an Air Corps captain at 20 -- "attrition," he claims -- flew 25 B-17 missions into Germany and brought back every crewman. The best stories have little to do with heroism, and he has little patience for anyone suggesting such. One is about being ordered by his squadron commander, as VE Day was anticipated, to fly to Scotland and pick up 100 cases of champagne. His ground crew gutted the B-17 and then crammed the cases in. "The whole base lined both sides of the runway as we brought her in. Only thing I could think was to not forget to get the wheels down. My most nervous landing of the whole war, including the time we came in shot to pieces." Distributed them between the officers, NCOs and enlisted men. "It's a good thing the Germans really quit," he said, "because there wasn't a crew fit to fly the day after." I talked to him briefly today and thanked him again.

Your last reference is a pretty sly one. Anybody in mind?