Fall Ball 2017

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Fall ball starts around October 11th and White and Gold games will take place the weekend of November 16-18 or 17-19. Anybody have more confirmed dates? Anyone planning to head down for scrimmages once things get up and running?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have some questions related to this. As a guy who really enjoys college baseball and really loves Ga Tech baseball... getting what I consider very basic information on our program is not that easy. I have to believe the Fall schedule/plan is firm by now. I cannot find anything published anywhere. Getting that information out on the info-highway earlier rather than later affords folks the time to plan to be part of it. In other words I see no downside to waiting to publish it. I live a long way from Atlanta and will only be paying attention from afar; but seems (to me) it would take just a minor increase in effort to push information in the off-season on the important baseball scheduling stuff and other significant info. Perhaps there simply is no solid information that falls into those categories; but I doubt.

I have always assumed that the Ga Tech athletics website will keep information up-to-date in a timely manner. Is there another (better) place to get such info?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have some questions related to this. As a guy who really enjoys college baseball and really loves Ga Tech baseball... getting what I consider very basic information on our program is not that easy. I have to believe the Fall schedule/plan is firm by now. I cannot find anything published anywhere. Getting that information out on the info-highway earlier rather than later affords folks the time to plan to be part of it. In other words I see no downside to waiting to publish it. I live a long way from Atlanta and will only be paying attention from afar; but seems (to me) it would take just a minor increase in effort to push information in the off-season on the important baseball scheduling stuff and other significant info. Perhaps there simply is no solid information that falls into those categories; but I doubt.

I have always assumed that the Ga Tech athletics website will keep information up-to-date in a timely manner. Is there another (better) place to get such info?

Nothing out there probably due to lack of interest. Beesball used to have more, now it's mostly GT pro's http://beesball.com/ https://twitter.com/beesball and not a peep about Fall Ball.

Face it, baseball is the third of two priorities for men's sports at GT. Like it is at most schools, we'll have to wait till the depths of the winter (e.g. February) till we see much substantial.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Totally agree with you. Baseball at Tech is a "non-rev" sport even though they charge for tickets, they break even. I get my info 2nd and 3rd hand sometimes and wish that they had more info out there. I will say that things are looking up this year with the roster already online. Here is what I know:
- Starts Wednesday 10/11 with daily scrimmages. First 45min or so is BP and warm up
- May not start scrimmages that early but the following week I am thinking.
- I had heard that we are starting so late because the NCAA required baseball (maybe all sports) to lose 12-14 days of practice in off-season. This is latest they have started as far as I know.
- White and Gold is the weekend before Thanksgiving just don't know if it is Thurs/Fri/Sat or Fri/Sat/Sun
- 3-4 walk ons this year.
- Looking at the official roster, they have to lose 1 or 2 to be where they need to be. Not sure if it is 33, 34 or 35 for the official roster.
- Don't see Shadday on that roster as Tristan was last year when he was red-shirted? Anyone have info on that? Prehaps it's just a logistics thing with medical redshirt due to his surgery.
- Had heard that Nick Wilhite had surgery and won't be available in the fall but unconfirmed. Had heard that it was a hand issue and it was the glove hand so if true that's good instead of dominate hand.
- Gibson is full time student this year and new student coach is Mark(?) Pope pitcher from awhile back.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Totally agree with you. Baseball at Tech is a "non-rev" sport even though they charge for tickets, they break even. I get my info 2nd and 3rd hand sometimes and wish that they had more info out there. I will say that things are looking up this year with the roster already online. Here is what I know:
- White and Gold is the weekend before Thanksgiving just don't know if it is Thurs/Fri/Sat or Fri/Sat/Sun
- Don't see Shadday on that roster as Tristan was last year when he was red-shirted? Anyone have info on that? Prehaps it's just a logistics thing with medical redshirt due to his surgery.
- Had heard that Nick Wilhite had surgery and won't be available in the fall but unconfirmed. Had heard that it was a hand issue and it was the glove hand so if true that's good instead of dominate hand.
- Gibson is full time student this year and new student coach is Mark(?) Pope pitcher from awhile back.

Have heard both Shadday and Dulaney are no longer playing. Shadday had Tommy John so he would’ve been out this year anyways, but heard he’s decided to not play even after recovery.

I think it may be Austin Wilhite that had hand surgery. Not 100% sure.

Pope was a good pitcher for the Jackets—maybe he can offer some valuable assistance to our pitchers this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Have heard both Shadday and Dulaney are no longer playing. Shadday had Tommy John so he would’ve been out this year anyways, but heard he’s decided to not play even after recovery.

I think it may be Austin Wilhite that had hand surgery. Not 100% sure.

Pope was a good pitcher for the Jackets—maybe he can offer some valuable assistance to our pitchers this year.

Too bad about both, especially Shadday. Need the experience / talent / depth. Hope they both get their degrees!

Looking at the roster, there are only 11 upper class men (Jr/Sr). So the loss of experience we have seen hurts even more. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/geot-m-basebl-mtt.html

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Yep, pitching is the whole story as far as I am concerned. It will be a bad slap in the face if we start reading about what pitchers we have lost before the season starts.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was thinking about our pitching...mainly starting pitching. Here are the returners who started at least one game last year. Number of starts is in parenthesis.

Curry (15)
Schneiderjans (9)
Lee (6)
Hughes (8)
Gibson (8)
Thomas (1)

Of note: Curry led team in 2017 in innings pitched (82 2/3). Believe it or not Datoc was 2nd with 57 1/3 IP. Datoc was a workhorse and consistent last year...appeared in 32 of 55 games.

Some questions I have:
Will a newcomer start?
Will Curry get out of the pitching business and be moved to everyday play for his offense (and defense)?
Could Datoc become a starter? Will he become the closer? He has not started a game in college.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was thinking about our pitching...mainly starting pitching. Here are the returners who started at least one game last year. Number of starts is in parenthesis.

Curry (15)
Schneiderjans (9)
Lee (6)
Hughes (8)
Gibson (8)
Thomas (1)

Of note: Curry led team in 2017 in innings pitched (82 2/3). Believe it or not Datoc was 2nd with 57 1/3 IP. Datoc was a workhorse and consistent last year...appeared in 32 of 55 games.

Some questions I have:
Will a newcomer start?
Will Curry get out of the pitching business and be moved to everyday play for his offense (and defense)?
Could Datoc become a starter? Will he become the closer? He has not started a game in college.

Will a newcomer start? Depends on who gets hurt. Hopefully not, but given the level of pitching proficiency last year, it may be necessary like it was with Curry. I wouldn't be surprised for a Fr to start, maybe 1/3 likely?
Will Curry get out of the pitching business and be moved to everyday play for his offense (and defense)? Hope not, his arm is too important. If our offense and defense is worse than our pitching, aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.
Could Datoc become a starter? Will he become the closer? Sure, why not if he's the best option. Some players get a lot better and some don't. Unfortunately we don't see many of the former. But we are undefeated right now.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Curry (15)
Schneiderjans (9)
Lee (6)
Hughes (8)
Gibson (8)
Thomas (1)

Some questions I have:
Will a newcomer start?
I would look for Hurter to start on the weekends and Brace to start the weekdays. Curry needs to stay a pitcher unless someone beats him out for the Friday job. I think that Datoc and Carpenter will share the closing role and Winborne will be the 3rd best option.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would look for Hurter to start on the weekends and Brace to start the weekdays. Curry needs to stay a pitcher unless someone beats him out for the Friday job. I think that Datoc and Carpenter will share the closing role and Winborne will be the 3rd best option.
With the injury to Hurter, I hope that the rotation is Curry (Fri.), Schneiderjans (Sat.), and either Lee or Hughes (Sun.) with Brace pitching the weekday games.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
With the injury to Hurter, I hope that the rotation is Curry (Fri.), Schneiderjans (Sat.), and either Lee or Hughes (Sun.) with Brace pitching the weekday games.
I’d expect Connor Thomas to be one of the starters based off of how CDH talked about him last fall and last season while he was ineligible. He got several chances last year in the last few weeks and struggled, but CDH still sounded very high on him. Hopefully Hughes has a bounce back year. Lee had some very promising outings the last few weeks of the season so I hope he is able to grow upon that.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When will the schedule be released? I'm ready to see them play
...and @twofortheroad did some quality research to figure this out.

@ Ga Southern 2/20
Ga State 3/7
@Auburn3/13
Auburn 3/20
Ga Southern 3/27
@ UGA 4/3
@ Ga State 4/11
UGA 4/24 .
UGA SUntrust 5/8
Have heard we are playing Minnesota this year. Pretty sure it's the Gophers but maybe it's another school in Minnesota. Playing in Atlanta.

...I looked at the ACC schedules and put this together

Mar 9-11 @ Clemson
Mar 16-18 Home v Va Tech
Mar 23-25 @ NC State (not official.. my educated guess)
Mar 30-Apr 1 Home v Miami (not official.. my educated guess)
Apr 6-8 Home v FSU
Apr 13-15 @ Pitt
Apr 20-22 @ UNC
Apr 27-29 Home v Wake Forest
May 11-13 @ UVA
May 17-19 Home v Duke