Exploiting Secondaries

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is nitpicky but one thing GT doesn't do nearly enough is exploit a weak secondary. Some of that maybe due to the nature of the offense but when Bey Bey was at GT, CPJ made taking advantage of weak db a priority. I'm I waxing nostalgic about that? Even with Smelter & Walller it didn't seem like CPJ took advantage of the size and talent gap as much as he could.

Jmonty71

Banned
This is nitpicky but one thing GT doesn't do nearly enough is exploit a weak secondary. Some of that maybe due to the nature of the offense but when Bey Bey was at GT, CPJ made taking advantage of weak db a priority. I'm I waxing nostalgic about that? Even with Smelter & Walller it didn't seem like CPJ took advantage of the size and talent gap as much as he could.
Watching the Duke game... The DBs are their weak link. I sure hope we exploit it.

Milwaukee

Banned
I felt like he did take advantage of Smelter's and Waller's size. Jeune seems to be a late bloomer, and PJ seems to be taking advantage of that as well.

Bebe was just an absolute freak, where you could throw a smoke route down the line of scrimmage and he could beat his man and outrun the safety. That's a once in a decade type talent. Hard to duplicate that.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said there are basically three things that can happen when you throw the ball and two of them aren't good. (I can think of four things, and three of them aren't good.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pass blocking allows holding, pass interference is a penalty, and tackling the qb too high or hard is a penalty. If the receiver dropls the catch its a dead ball, a long pass loosens up the defense for better running lanes.

Hail Mary win games.
Time stops when dropped or receiver runs out of bounds making comebacks possible.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I hate passing unless it is for a big gain. Just like we do!

So if the defense has a strong front 7 but a inexperienced secondary, you'd just keep trying to pound em. Especially when you have bigger and stronger WR then the opposing team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They get the worst of all possible situations. On the pitch a physical w r kicks their but till the a b blows by their arm tackle. On the pass they come up to press the w r who gets them one on one down the sideline. If they are beat the throw is out front. If it's close it's a back shoulder throw. If they are weak they look BAD no mater what!

I expect to see lynch make some big plays off new routes. ATL , Keep the faith

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
They occur in the backfield linebackers and linemen are in on those plays.

And the front 7 goes away on a passing downs?

When we were running speed option on Tennessee....that was lineman on LBs, and whoever the DB chose (usually) the ball went to the other player.

We tend to do better against teams with bad secondaries.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Running the Ball = Yards Gained/No Yards/Loss of Yards/Fumble

4 outcomes & 3 of them bad :whistle:

Passing the ball = Yards Gained/No Yards/Receiver Fumbles/Interception/Big Loss/QB Blindsided, QB Injured, QB Fumbles, opponent recovers and returns for opponent TD