Expected COVID-19 Impacts to College Athletics

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Survey results from 110 AD's about the future due to COVID 19. It isn't pretty
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...f-coronavirus-pandemic-apparent-in-ad-survey/

86% expect to have to make 'financial sacrifices' and over 1/3 of AD's forecast at least a 30% drop in revenue
About two-thirds of respondents said the most likely outcome of the crisis for their departments is a decrease in enrollment at their schools. Slightly more than half believe there will be decreased fan interest.
More than two-thirds of ADs (67 percent) agree or strongly agree they must find a way to limit coaches' salaries.
More than half of the ADs (56 percent) say they agree a way must be found to limit buyouts.
Less than half of the Power Five athletic departments (41 percent) have sufficient financial reserves to ride out the crisis. Only 26% of Group of Five departments have enough reserves.

Over the next three months, 89 percent of ADs are most concerned about academic progress of their athletes, who are studying remotely with the shuttering of schools due to the virus.
After financial concerns, the greatest fear of ADs (39 percent) in six months is "morale and culture."
Summing up the current climate, one AD wrote, "Due to the crisis and nature of what is going on nationally, I think that this is horrible time to be implementing name, image and likeness and one-time immediate transfers. The financial landscape is going to look so much different going forward."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To pick up on the Iowa St story. That is their projected shortfall from the loss of Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament revenue. it does not include shortfalls if any college sporting events are impact over the next 12 months.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Academic progress requirements should be easy to suspend for a year - and the right thing to do honestly. There will be a ton of abuse of that loophole but given the upheaval not unrealistic.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NBA and the Players Union now appear to be switching from trying to play this year to cancelling the rest of the season and trying to come up with a plan that allows them to have a season in 2021.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...lan-for-possible-canceled-season-report-says/
NBA and Players Union negotiating over the pay cut players will take
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ut-union-counters-with-25-percent-per-report/

MLB now looking at the possibility of players games with quarantined players at spring training sites. Still a long ways from any chance season actually gets underway.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...g-training-ballparks-without-fans-per-report/

The SEC has announced that all in-person athletic activities are suspended through at least the end of May. The conference is allowing virtual film review for a maximum of four hours per week beginning April 6.

Preakness Stakes scheduled for May 16 has been postponed with no new date yet.

USGA has postponed the US Women's Open from June to December.

The Premier League announced that the 2019-20 season has been suspended indefinitely. The league doesn't plan to return until it is "safe and appropriate to do so." In addition, players are also slated to face a 30 percent pay cut.

The Chinese Basketball Association after hoping to resume in mid-May has suspended the league indefinitely. (This is a marker to watch as many feel China as the first country to deal with the virus will be the first to have sporting events again and other leagues will wait to see what happens there before trying to restart).

slugboy

Staff member
NBA and the Players Union now appear to be switching from trying to play this year to cancelling the rest of the season and trying to come up with a plan that allows them to have a season in 2021.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...lan-for-possible-canceled-season-report-says/
NBA and Players Union negotiating over the pay cut players will take
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ut-union-counters-with-25-percent-per-report/

MLB now looking at the possibility of players games with quarantined players at spring training sites. Still a long ways from any chance season actually gets underway.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...g-training-ballparks-without-fans-per-report/

The SEC has announced that all in-person athletic activities are suspended through at least the end of May. The conference is allowing virtual film review for a maximum of four hours per week beginning April 6.

Preakness Stakes scheduled for May 16 has been postponed with no new date yet.

USGA has postponed the US Women's Open from June to December.

The Premier League announced that the 2019-20 season has been suspended indefinitely. The league doesn't plan to return until it is "safe and appropriate to do so." In addition, players are also slated to face a 30 percent pay cut.

The Chinese Basketball Association after hoping to resume in mid-May has suspended the league indefinitely. (This is a marker to watch as many feel China as the first country to deal with the virus will be the first to have sporting events again and other leagues will wait to see what happens there before trying to restart).

The last I had looked at the SEC, Auburn was still practicing when everyone else had stopped. I didn’t realize they’d finally stopped in-person activities.

The NBA actions seem adult and responsible.

Locally, the Atlanta Hawks, are funding catering from local restaurants (really good ones) to local hospital workers. So, they’re helping both communities out. They’re funding pop-up grocery stores in “food deserts”. When the season got postponed, they gave the food from the arena to local people who didn’t have enough food. They’ve been mensches*.

* I’m not Jewish, but that’s the best word I know of for how they’re acting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm no Hawks fan, but they do a great job in the community. Helps to be backed by elite private equity money.

Very possible that Jon Babul may have some involvement with this, given his job with the Hawks.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'm no Hawks fan, but they do a great job in the community. Helps to be backed by elite private equity money.

Very possible that Jon Babul may have some involvement with this, given his job with the Hawks.

Jon is a good dude.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll also say that whenever sports do come back in the US, it will be professional sports first, before college.

Given that Professional sports have deeper pockets and their players are being paid - they are alot more likely to take a chance on playing before the NCAA and any college administrators would take the chance with 'student-athletes'.