Expectations for the 2021 season

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Who is that team?
Good question but I meant a hypothetical "Anyteam U" that has an exciting offense, scores lots of points, thrills and chills but has no chance of making the playoffs and everyone knows it because of the defense or lack of a sound running game or depth at most positions or something. Lots of fun but no championships. Kind of like Oklahoma State or Texas Tech a few years ago or maybe Washington State when they had the coach whose name escapes me that went to Mississippi State.

slugboy

Staff member
Good question but I meant a hypothetical "Anyteam U" that has an exciting offense, scores lots of points, thrills and chills but has no chance of making the playoffs and everyone knows it because of the defense or lack of a sound running game or depth at most positions or something. Lots of fun but no championships. Kind of like Oklahoma State or Texas Tech a few years ago or maybe Washington State when they had the coach whose name escapes me that went to Mississippi State.
I think even those teams have a decent offensive line. You can’t even run air raid if you can’t count past “1 mississippi”.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, the Johnny Mansell Texas A&M offensive line had him running for his life and they did pretty well. As the other poster stated to be a top tier team you gotta have it all but you can still be pretty good with a weaker type line. It’s not ideal but outside the top 5-8 super teams most teams lines fall into the same range. Joe Ham didn’t have NFL guys on his lines. The problem we have had is that our OLine has been horrific. Way below average. If we can just get to mid pack we’ll put up way more points with less turnovers. And if we ever get above average we’ll be a top 15 type team. Our GT viewpoint is just skewed because we had a decade of a unique offense with different schematics.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, the Johnny Mansell Texas A&M offensive line had him running for his life and they did pretty well. As the other poster stated to be a top tier team you gotta have it all but you can still be pretty good with a weaker type line. It’s not ideal but outside the top 5-8 super teams most teams lines fall into the same range. Joe Ham didn’t have NFL guys on his lines. The problem we have had is that our OLine has been horrific. Way below average. If we can just get to mid pack we’ll put up way more points with less turnovers. And if we ever get above average we’ll be a top 15 type team. Our GT viewpoint is just skewed because we had a decade of a unique offense with different schematics.
You realize Manuel had 2 All American tackles on his offensive line don’t you? Even Johnny Football needed a great O Line to win the Heisman Trophy

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Friedgen was underrated as OL coach. Hamilton played behind some pretty good OL.

But I agree--the OL hasn't been good lately. Johnson's offense worked OK with guard sized guys playing tackle, but that doesn't work for the passing game. A lot of pass blocking is just having big guys who can get in the way. The 6'5" 300 lb guys with good feet didn't want to come here and crawl on the ground and cut block. That's a big reason why the passing game was never very good after 2009--Johnson's second year, with Gailey's recruits.

Anyway, we've been trying to run a balanced offense with an OL that isn't cut out for a balanced offense. That's why we started a true Fr. at right tackle last year. This year we will start a grad transfer and Williams will be a soph. But we still lack experienced depth at tackle. I am concerned about next year--and an injury this year could set us back. Rankins leaving was not a good thing, but maybe he didn't like the physicality of the game at this level.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Friedgen was underrated as OL coach. Hamilton played behind some pretty good OL.

But I agree--the OL hasn't been good lately. Johnson's offense worked OK with guard sized guys playing tackle, but that doesn't work for the passing game. A lot of pass blocking is just having big guys who can get in the way. The 6'5" 300 lb guys with good feet didn't want to come here and crawl on the ground and cut block. That's a big reason why the passing game was never very good after 2009--Johnson's second year, with Gailey's recruits.

Anyway, we've been trying to run a balanced offense with an OL that isn't cut out for a balanced offense. That's why we started a true Fr. at right tackle last year. This year we will start a grad transfer and Williams will be a soph. But we still lack experienced depth at tackle. I am concerned about next year--and an injury this year could set us back. Rankins leaving was not a good thing, but maybe he didn't like the physicality of the game at this level.
I think we’ll be okay on depth this year because Kenneth Kirby can probably play backup swing tackle, but building the O-line over the next few years is going to be like playing whack-a-mole. This year we have to replace Defoor at LG; next year we’ll have to replace Cochran at LT and Johnson at RG; then we’ll have to replace Minihan at C. Hopefully by that point, we’ll have built some depth and stability on the line. Progress will likely not be a straight line, but I trust that Brent Key will have us trending in the right direction. He has so far.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think we’ll be okay on depth this year because Kenneth Kirby can probably play backup swing tackle, but building the O-line over the next few years is going to be like playing whack-a-mole. This year we have to replace Defoor at LG; next year we’ll have to replace Cochran at LT and Johnson at RG; then we’ll have to replace Minihan at C. Hopefully by that point, we’ll have built some depth and stability on the line. Progress will likely not be a straight line, but I trust that Brent Key will have us trending in the right direction. He has so far.
Has he?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think people are underestimating Kirby. He’s only got this year with us and he’s a serious NFL prospect. He didn’t transfer here to be back up. He’ll have to earn his spot but I bet he will. Not sure if it’ll be LG or RT but I bet we see him in the starting line up.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It looks to me like we're ending up with a lot of experience and ability on our OL this year the way it is all playing out, I'm cautiously optimistic. This team has a chance to be pretty good I think. Maybe that is just the July/August preseason optimism on my part again. We're getting closer to finding out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think even those teams have a decent offensive line. You can’t even run air raid if you can’t count past “1 mississippi”.
I don't think Mississippi State could even get to the "Mississippi" part this year much less the "1". The genius of the mad scientist at Mississippi State can only go so far.
You realize Manuel had 2 All American tackles on his offensive line don’t you? Even Johnny Football needed a great O Line to win the Heisman Trophy
Funny you mention him. The very first time I saw him was the first game of his breakout season against Florida. Gators had talent all across the board, per as usual, and were especially proud of an excellent secondary. Along comes this Johnny come lately slinging balls all over the place and the Gators vaunted secondary is in shreds. My Florida friends were aghast. Who is this guy? He played like he had eyes on the back of his head. A&M had a halftime lead but just could not hold it in the second half as the Gators superior talent wore them down but it was fun to watch a legend being born.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't pretend to know anything about the ins and outs of the transfer portal other than the guys you got coming "in" had better be better than the ones going "out". That said, college football news had this series of articles entitled "21 for 21" where they list various things based on coming up with 21 for 2021. Clever, huh? Anyway, they did one on the transfers, something like the best 21 transfers and they listed the school they left and the one they were going to. Poor Tennessee had at least 3 players on that list including a 5 star running back that up and left for UNC. Virginia Tech as we all known had their quarterback Hooker leave and so forth. Tech did not make the cut with any of the guys coming in but then, not surprisingly, we did not have any of the ones going out make it either. Sadly UGA, got 3 guys listed coming in that college football news thought were among the top 21. The rich just keep getting richer.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don't pretend to know anything about the ins and outs of the transfer portal other than the guys you got coming "in" had better be better than the ones going "out". That said, college football news had this series of articles entitled "21 for 21" where they list various things based on coming up with 21 for 2021. Clever, huh? Anyway, they did one on the transfers, something like the best 21 transfers and they listed the school they left and the one they were going to. Poor Tennessee had at least 3 players on that list including a 5 star running back that up and left for UNC. Virginia Tech as we all known had their quarterback Hooker leave and so forth. Tech did not make the cut with any of the guys coming in but then, not surprisingly, we did not have any of the ones going out make it either. Sadly UGA, got 3 guys listed coming in that college football news thought were among the top 21. The rich just keep getting richer.
You need to read more articles. We did fine.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I went and checked out the article. As with everything else, recruiting, expectations, etc....it seems they picked players who are coming or going to teams that sale magazines/generate clicks. Every one of those picks except for like two, involves a factory/SEC type program. I’d put Devin, Ken, Ace, Kyric, and Keion up against any of those dudes. Don’t forget our transfer at Kicker!

As for the OL, I fully expect Devin and Ken to start, along with Johnson and Williams. I’m not sure who starts between Cooper and Minivan, though. Regardless, I think our OL received some major upgrades. And I think Kyric will be an upgrade at slot.

Defensively, here are the guys that didn’t see a snap in a Tech uniform last year. TK, Makius, Keion, Harris, Ace, Kenyatta, Zeek. I’m excited about our potential.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I went and checked out the article. As with everything else, recruiting, expectations, etc....it seems they picked players who are coming or going to teams that sale magazines/generate clicks. Every one of those picks except for like two, involves a factory/SEC type program. I’d put Devin, Ken, Ace, Kyric, and Keion up against any of those dudes. Don’t forget our transfer at Kicker!

As for the OL, I fully expect Devin and Ken to start, along with Johnson and Williams. I’m not sure who starts between Cooper and Minivan, though. Regardless, I think our OL received some major upgrades. And I think Kyric will be an upgrade at slot.

Defensively, here are the guys that didn’t see a snap in a Tech uniform last year. TK, Makius, Keion, Harris, Ace, Kenyatta, Zeek. I’m excited about our potential.
I would rather have the three guys Georgia got but that is just me.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I would rather have the three guys Georgia got but that is just me.
Our transfers will have a greater impact on our results than their 3 on their results.
We needed to upgrade our talent pool (roughly a dozen transfers in our two deep).
They needed 2-3 potential star power players to gain 1-2 wins .
I wouldn’t trade, as our needs were different.
We can have some fun with this, after the season is finished. Three of our transfers are here to improve their draft status (two from non power 5) and we can see who the NFL thinks were better players!