QB 10
Run 1
Pass 11
OL 14
DL 8
LB 11
DB 9
ST 12

Not that it's a big surprise, but big keys to the season are OL making a major leap forward, receivers improving over the last multiple of seasons, and the defense making a big step up. If our interior DL can play better and healthy and the LB corps step up, that should make our whole defense better. We need a couple of all-ACC types on defense, and hopefully Eley plus someone from our backfield of Swilling, Thomas, and Carpenter make that list.

I noticed a few things about Hale’s assessment. First, every team has a glaring weakness coupled with an area where they are strong -except for Clemson and UNC which are generally strong across the board.

If Tech were to improve three or more levels in our passing game and in our linebacker play we could conceivably be the fourth best team in the conference behind Clemson, UNC and Miami. Fun to speculate.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm pretty sure Miami hired him (Nix) away.
I thought so but didn't bother to go back and check.

1627583933798.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
True. And Chan still didn't hire a competent OC--and we had the money. I blame the AD. Homer would have forced Chan to hire a good OC, just like he did when he forced Lewis to hire O'Leary as DC.

Didn't Tenuta come from Braine's connections?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I noticed a few things about Hale’s assessment. First, every team has a glaring weakness coupled with an area where they are strong -except for Clemson and UNC which are generally strong across the board.

If Tech were to improve three or more levels in our passing game and in our linebacker play we could conceivably be the fourth best team in the conference behind Clemson, UNC and Miami. Fun to speculate.
If line play on both sides of the ball does not improve then none of this matters. We will remain at or near the bottom of the ACC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure Miami hired him (Nix) away.
Yep and that was the beginning of the end for Randy Shannon. Some programs can afford mistakes like that, but the number of programs that can do so, is getting smaller and smaller. The margin for error in college football is going to decrease moving forward as there will be fewer fans in the stands. IIWII

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If we can avoid injury I think we will be much improved on both lines this year. The OL could honestly be a strong suit if Cochran, Johnson, Cooper and Kirby all contribute. These are all veteran guys. Williams is a proven commodity so if we can have a unit that can play a lot of minutes I think we can wear some teams down.

I noticed that Jamal Camp is now listed at OL. Is that new?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty gullible when it comes to Tech football but I will believe it when I see it.
I used to think comments like this one were stupid. Then I realized that people who make them are smarter than me because they don't waste as much time as I do keeping up with the Tech roster and talent.

I will simply say that you can believe it. Take it from someone who spends too much time examining the talent base at Tech.

I'm already concerned about next year's OL since we lose 3 grad transfers.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think I was confusing Jamal Camp with Griffin. It’s the brother thing that threw me off.

I think that CGC and key will be able to bring more grad transfers in if we think we need it…and we probably will.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
LOL....line play is all that matters in football. Without the O line you can't move the ball and without the d-line you can't stop anybody. Reference Georgia Tech 2019 and 2020.
You can still have an entertaining, good team without superlative line play but it is what separates the elite factory teams from everyone else. Of course, they also have great quarterbacks, receivers, running backs and everything but if you entertain ideas of joining the best of the best the road is paved with linemen. IIWII

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
You can still have an entertaining, good team without superlative line play but it is what separates the elite factory teams from everyone else. Of course, they also have great quarterbacks, receivers, running backs and everything but if you entertain ideas of joining the best of the best the road is paved with linemen. IIWII

Who is that team?