Expectations for the 2021 season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

slugboy

Staff member
Also, some bad stats for BC’s OLine, which got kudos earlier in the thread:

It reads as if we need to improve on both lines of scrimmage.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Ooof. No love for our OLine in the latest Hale drop:

That had better not turn out to be the case, or we’ll have a horrible season.

Well, when you are last there is nowhere to go but up. That saying is actually not generally true, but in this case Notre Dame will not be listed as an ACC member in 2021 so it's actually true!

In all seriousness, I think those stats match what I saw on the field. I think that, physically, and in blocking technique, we were a lot better than we actually performed. While all teams had to deal with pandemic circumstances, it's reasonable to believe that we were hampered by them in this way more significantly than other teams given our transition of systems. I also think it needs to be underscored that Minihan was pressed into being our center despite having never even practiced at the position prior to the spring. The center identifies the defense, modifies the protections, and directs line communication. I suspect there is potential for large improvement across the line simply by him learning the position better. We are actually very fortunate to have Sims as our QB right now because he has excellent ability to sense the rush and make something happen with his feet. Yes, he also made some very bad decisions in those situations last year, but even without those errors and more completed passes in exchange for scrambles, our O would have really struggled without his legs extending drives.

What I am looking for most in 2021 is consistency in identifying and executing the right assignments in the run game. Athletically, there are times we will get beat up front, but with the stable of backs we have and Sims' ability to escape the pocket, eliminating the loss/no gain rush plays resulting from players being unblocked (when they are not option reads) would allow us to sustain far more drives and have more opportunities to convert RZ possessions into TDs.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Ooof. No love for our OLine in the latest Hale drop:

That had better not turn out to be the case, or we’ll have a horrible season.

On the other hand, how good are our running backs to manage what they did behind that line and what can they do behind even a middle of the pack OL? I am hopeful we can make the jump to like 10th-ish in the ACC.

slugboy

Staff member
Have you been able to find his DL analysis?
Yep--we're in the middle
💫🅰️♈🆔 on Twitter: "Ranking ACC D-lines… This was TOUGH and honestly after No. 1, I’m not sold on anything. 1. Clemson 2. Pitt 3. UNC 4. VT 5. Miami 6. NC State 7. Cuse 8. GT 9. Wake 10. UVA 11. Lville 12. BC 13. FSU 14. Duke" / Twitter

That's it, though--no deeper analysis of us. Lots of Clemson, and UNC is mentioned.
I Dont Care Whatever GIF

Well, when you are last there is nowhere to go but up. That saying is actually not generally true, but in this case Notre Dame will not be listed as an ACC member in 2021 so it's actually true!

In all seriousness, I think those stats match what I saw on the field. I think that, physically, and in blocking technique, we were a lot better than we actually performed. While all teams had to deal with pandemic circumstances, it's reasonable to believe that we were hampered by them in this way more significantly than other teams given our transition of systems. I also think it needs to be underscored that Minihan was pressed into being our center despite having never even practiced at the position prior to the spring. The center identifies the defense, modifies the protections, and directs line communication. I suspect there is potential for large improvement across the line simply by him learning the position better. We are actually very fortunate to have Sims as our QB right now because he has excellent ability to sense the rush and make something happen with his feet. Yes, he also made some very bad decisions in those situations last year, but even without those errors and more completed passes in exchange for scrambles, our O would have really struggled without his legs extending drives.

What I am looking for most in 2021 is consistency in identifying and executing the right assignments in the run game. Athletically, there are times we will get beat up front, but with the stable of backs we have and Sims' ability to escape the pocket, eliminating the loss/no gain rush plays resulting from players being unblocked (when they are not option reads) would allow us to sustain far more drives and have more opportunities to convert RZ possessions into TDs.
But in Shotgun Spread...we are going to have issues in the running games.