Expectations for the 2021 season

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Big 10 doesn't allow FCS opponents. Wiscy's SoS in 2019 was 9th. 52nd in 2018 (ours was 60th that year), 47th in 2017 (ours was 17th), 13th in 2016 (42 for GT), 66th for 2015 (14 GT). Their schedule is generally a tad easier than ours but with no FCS opponents and 9 conference games vs 8. I don't know that trading schedules with Wisconsin would dramatically increase our win total.
We get the chance to compare the MAC and FCS in our first two games.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson was a master at changing blocking schemes on the fly. As a DE or LB you might be blocked by a different guy on the next play than the last one, or you might not be blocked at all. Like every other scheme, as the talent on the opposing defense improved, the scheme was less effective. It was also became easier over time for opposing coaches to prepare for since they had seen it over and over. That's one reason it was more effective at an independent (Navy) as opposed to playing a conference schedule. There are reasons why no P5 program runs that offense.

GT 2020: When you are starting a FR QB, a FR OT and a FR RB, with limited practice time, it's hard to throw a lot of wrinkles into an offense. Getting the basics down in hard enough.

slugboy

Staff member
Big 10 doesn't allow FCS opponents. Wiscy's SoS in 2019 was 9th. 52nd in 2018 (ours was 60th that year), 47th in 2017 (ours was 17th), 13th in 2016 (42 for GT), 66th for 2015 (14 GT). Their schedule is generally a tad easier than ours but with no FCS opponents and 9 conference games vs 8. I don't know that trading schedules with Wisconsin would dramatically increase our win total.
The B1G dropped that restriction a few years ago, back in 2017

slugboy

Staff member
Only in years where they have four conference home games. Still a lot more restrictive than any other conference.
Fair enough. For example, I give Penn State credit for playing Auburn this year. They also play Ball State and Villanova.
I wasn’t sure Villanova fielded a football team.
Wisconsin has Eastern Michigan, and Army as one of their easy games.
They do find easier games, even if it’s not FCS

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Their last losing season was 20 years ago. Since then they are 178-69 (.721) and have had 10 10+ win seasons. I don't care if we run, pass, or kick our way to a win, but I'd LOVE to be where Wisconsin is record wise right now.
Of course they have had the most offensive linemen drafted by NFL teams of any college since 2000. But what the heck run it with a below average line.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Running the ball protects your defense by running clock, limiting opposition's possessions. Incomplete passes take 15 secs of clock...runs up middle for no gain, 45 secs off...
The best 4 skill guys on our team are the three RBs and Sims...
I would never throw it...unless I dumped it to one of the RBs.... LOL!
Seriously 80/20.... and mostly on 2nd and <5 .....never on 3rd and 10+
Well that’s never going to happen so be prepared to be upset.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Fair enough. For example, I give Penn State credit for playing Auburn this year. They also play Ball State and Villanova.
Collins would have known.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Villanova is actually a really good FCS program. Not on the level of Penn State, of course, but if you're going to play an FCS team that's one of the tougher ones

Milwaukee

Banned
No, CPJs offense was designed to take advantage of numbers and to allow our line to utilize quickness to block. Also the defense could not attack as the play series run needed to have disciplined defense. While shotgun spread does not. It allows D lineman and LBs to come up and attack.
63188B7F-8413-4116-B8FD-691067A74030.gif

Jolly Good Fellow
Well that’s never going to happen so be prepared to be upset.
I have been a GT fan since 1968.... I am quite used to crushing disappointment...but along with the bitter disappointments comes the absolute euphoria of when we are good...
Think I will spend the evening watching 2014 Orange Bowl replay.... Then Tech v UGa 2008 replay... Wish I could find online replay of Tech v ND 1976... That was a great day...

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course they have had the most offensive linemen drafted by NFL teams of any college since 2000. But what the heck run it with a below average line.
Actually, this is something about which I am an "expert"....a below average offensive lineman has a better chance run blocking than he does in pass protection