Expectations for the 2021 season

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The offense centers around the backfield with a variety of different looks that showcases 20 and 21-personnel.

A running back typically lines up next to the quarterback, while one tailback is behind the signal-caller in a pistol formation.

The offensive line has pulling guards with inside and outside zone blocking.

The quarterback will read the defensive end within an RPO to determine whether a handoff should be made, to attack the perimeter in the run game or to find a one-on-one matchup in the passing game.

It is also called a spread option. Our current offense is call Shotgun Spread. Most commonly run in Texas Highschool football....even if it is advertised as a Pro Scheme...whatever that means
A component of a spread offense is the wide splits in the line. This we do not have. So, while we do have slots wider than A-backs, it is not a spread offense.

But it’s factual though

There we 15-16 RBs on the roster

OL was taught to cut and scoop block. If they missed the cut block, they were taught to roll

OL was no more complicated than any other scheme.

You know a few but do you know many what will tell you that?

I want to hear more about this Texas offense
Oh, and the 2016 roster...9 Running backs...which would make sense to be three deep.
and 2014 was 9 as well. I could go through all the CPJ years but no need as I am usually spot on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wait, you mean coaches want to push phrases to the media to sell their program? Color me SHOCKED! But if Collins does it......
Yes, I love what Collins is selling and have said so many many times. But getting Tech fans all on board with one narrative, and not flinching at everything our detractors say, is like herding cats.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I love what Collins is selling and have said so many many times. But getting Tech fans all on board with one narrative, and not flinching at everything our detractors say, is like herding cats.
That may be an accurate observation but it is nothing new. Pepper and Curry would have thought Coach Collins has it easy with what they endured. Poor Bud Carson was foolish enough to follow Dodd as well as being not the most likeable sort so you can imagine his relations with the media were less than ideal. The relationship between the alumni and Pepper Rogers was an open war from the beginning. It comes with the territory of being a Tech coach. Collins probably still has more support from both alumni and media than 99% of the coaches Tech has had since Dodd. IIWII

Yes, Collins is selling. But in business their are those that can sell and those that can manage. As of now he is not doing so well with the latter. Could change as he gets more years behind him but todays game does not provide for that. This is the year he needs 6. I believe those wins are there.....if he changes his offense.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is the year he needs 6. I believe those wins are there.....if he changes his offense.
Or, to put it more directly, we won't win six. Because the O won't change. That's what the current crew has been recruiting on.

Oth, I think we could win six. But it will take some luck - not Pitt game in 2014 luck, but luck - to get there. Luck is something people around here seem to discount a lot (not too surprising in a board of engineers), but it is crucial when the schedule is the Season of Doom, part deux.

Of course, we could get better luck if the AD would do a better job scheduling teams we have a good chance of beating. But …

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say the 2009 team. I said 2008, CPJs first year.
2009 just showed what good coaching, very good players, and scheme can achieve...11 wins.

Take on 4* player

Anthony Williams
DE

McDonough, GA

6'4"

He was a 4 star. In the 2010 class, remember him...me neither. Maybe a testament to Al Groh.

As for transfers, let's see them play at Tech then I will tell you my opinion.

And as for 2010.
This might explain a fair amount of the drop off, other than the loss to Kansas..a WTF moment

Georgia Tech won’t confirm anything until after the game, but word on the street is QB Joshua Nesbitt broke his right forearm while diving to tackle a Virginia Tech Hokies defender late in the second quarter. Nesbitt left the field and soon went to the locker room early. Tevin Washington has been filling in, and the offense has stalled for the most part.
The 2008 team won as many games with good defense as with an effective offense. There was a ton of NFL talent on the 2008 defense. The defense was never close to being that good since then.

can CHC field an above average defense is a major question to be determined.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Collins is selling. But in business their are those that can sell and those that can manage. As of now he is not doing so well with the latter. Could change as he gets more years behind him but todays game does not provide for that. This is the year he needs 6. I believe those wins are there.....if he changes his offense.
So, I think we understand your point of view and you have articulated it well.

I think we actually have 7 wins in us this year but I am tolerant of what you are saying because you are basing it on past performance. My optimism is clearly not based on past performance and is predicated on this being a breakthrough year for the coaches and players. I have no solid proof for this.

But, I generally agree with you on two points. First, Tech has always relied on scheme to win throughout its history. And, Gailey is an example of a coach getting decent players and running a generic offense.

On the other hand, I buy the argument that Tech is now engaged in a major experiment to see if we can run what “everyone else” is running for the sake of getting the same type of top level recruits. I’m willing to see how this plays out.

The second thing I agree with you on is that this is a critical year. We need wins, for sure, but more than anything else I believe fans want to see better execution, fewer penalties and better coaching. This year will tell us a lot.

You may shut this thread down. STech81 wins the internet......
It has never been GT offense that makes us good (8+) or bad (4-)....it is always our D.....
And this has a lot of truth to it.
1985 Black Watch
1990 Late into the 5th game, Clemson before and offensive touch down was scored against us.
1998 5 fumbles returned for touchdowns
2008 Defense gives up 18 points per game and creates 23 turnovers.
2009 Well...that was an offense year
2014 ok the argument fades a bit but because the other teams only get about nine possessions a game......

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been following recruiting fairly closely, so I’d like to add to this something we should be excited about. The composite four star guys are awesome, but something I’ve noticed is the three stars we are getting are the higher tier/more desirable ones. CPJ era most three stars were in that sub 1000 ranking. Geoff Collins 3 stars are commonly top 500, which makes a huge difference in the depth of the class without even considering the MUCH improved top end. I think there are 7 guys in 2022 committed now that are rated a 4 star on at least one service. Colorado also mentioned the 2021 class being lowly ranked, but this just doesn’t tell the full story. The 2021 recruiting cycle was completely destroyed by COVID, and not being able to get our message across in person clearly had an impact. Not to mention, it was still a higher quality class than what we’re used to, the average rating is actually solid! Just a smaller class hurts rankings (class of 16). Comp. to the 2017 class which has a similar national ranking but a significantly lower average rating you will see what I mean. The future is bright, let’s all be patient, CGC’s only recruiting classes are true sophomores and freshman, let’s hope how hard he hit the transfer portal helps ease the transition. Looking forwards to a full stadium this fall!
I almost replied with a similar post... then thought better of it as I've already made these points to the same poster in a prior thread (link to post that literally starts with "I hope you will engage on this, because it is a point people have made many times and takes the average stars concept but makes it better and more specific.")... and there was no reply then... and so I just decided to bow out this time.

Said another way, blindly grouping all 3* as if they're the same is a tell to me that one doesn't actually pay much attention to recruiting. Several of my direct reply questions in this thread have gone unanswered as well. Not responding to specific questions and counterpoints in direct replies suggests he's not really here to have a conversation.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
OK...how many wins this year? three, or four? The better question is how many games will we lose by twenty-one or more?
I think that is a better predictor. While I predict 7 wins, if we get blown out in the other five, it will make me go hmmmmmm! I want all the games to be close enough to have a chance to win.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins over the next 4 years has a chance to unite this fan base for the first time in decades. Let’s face it, we have split apart for one reason - lack of quality wins. Gailey won some games but never beat you know who so the fans started barking. CPJ comes in and feasts on the weaklings, beat UGA three times, but the recruiting and defense just got weaker over time. Bring in Collins and the wins have been few but everything thing else is trending up especially having a coach who isn’t perceived as a grandparent. If we start winning and win games we shouldn’t Collins could unite the fan base. I don’t think guys like Colorado is wrong at all at this point. I don’t like the constant negativity but his points are valid as of today. And I have no reason to believe that fans like Colorado will be thrilled when the Texas high school spread beats UNC and ND. My opinion is that I don’t care about the offensive system. I care about the offensive line. If they are good you could run QB sneak all the time and win. Or you could pass it around all day and win. I think as the wins build over the next 4 years our fan base will be fine and we’ll attract more fans.

I almost replied with a similar post... then thought better of it as I've already made these points to the same poster in a prior thread (link to post that literally starts with "I hope you will engage on this, because it is a point people have made many times and takes the average stars concept but makes it better and more specific.")... and there was no reply then... and so I just decided to bow out this time.

Said another way, blindly grouping all 3* as if they're the same is a tell to me that one doesn't actually pay much attention to recruiting. Several of my direct reply questions in this thread have gone unanswered as well. Not responding to specific questions and counterpoints in direct replies suggests he's not really here to have a conversation.
If you are referring to me, I responded directly to your questions. Do I regard recruiting, sure, but I don't place as much emphasis on it for Georgia Tech. We can not recruit at the level as many schools do to academics and as such have to develop and scheme and coach up. I can give you many examples of players graded at 2 stars that were actually close to high 3s or 4s.

We have never recruited a so called 5 star. Calvin Johnson was but they dropped him down when they found out he was going to Tech. This is a common practice among those people that rank players.

You asked if you have top 30 recruiting classes should you expect top 30 teams. I said sure if you have top 30 coaches.
I have a theory and I call it the funnel. You take kids in the 5th through 8th grade and many are trying to decide if they want to play football and are good at it. They may try again in 9th but generally quit if they are not players. In high school you have players but fact is on a team, you may have 2 players that can play at the college level. Size and skill dictate this, along with level of the team they are playing...2A versus 7 A. In college you get one of those two at each school to fill out your 85 man roster. From there to the NFL, it is about 1-2% of all the 128 teams times 85 players that go on. The funnel.

Football players are not made. You either can play or not. Once you have a player, it is up to coaches to develop them as they move up. To me the difference between a 2 star and a 5 is an arbitrary view of size, speed, and level of play. Is it exact, no. Georgia had a 5 star QB a few years ago...Eason...loved him there at Georgia. JT5 would probably have been rated a 2 star as a QB. Guess which one I would take.

Collins over the next 4 years has a chance to unite this fan base for the first time in decades. Let’s face it, we have split apart for one reason - lack of quality wins. Gailey won some games but never beat you know who so the fans started barking. CPJ comes in and feasts on the weaklings, beat UGA three times, but the recruiting and defense just got weaker over time. Bring in Collins and the wins have been few but everything thing else is trending up especially having a coach who isn’t perceived as a grandparent. If we start winning and win games we shouldn’t Collins could unite the fan base. I don’t think guys like Colorado is wrong at all at this point. I don’t like the constant negativity but his points are valid as of today. And I have no reason to believe that fans like Colorado will be thrilled when the Texas high school spread beats UNC and ND. My opinion is that I don’t care about the offensive system. I care about the offensive line. If they are good you could run QB sneak all the time and win. Or you could pass it around all day and win. I think as the wins build over the next 4 years our fan base will be fine and we’ll attract more fans.
Ok, agree for the most but a few counter points. Trust me, in 2009 we had a fan base that was all behind the team and in 2014. CPJ did not feast on weaklings, he beat more top 20 teams that any coach we have had in 50 years. Who was the Grandparent, Gailey? Winning fixes a lot but I am not a believer that we can run what everybody else does and win 10 games. As I have said a million times. We can only recruit about 25 to 30% of the kids that other teams can....CALCUCLUS CALCULUS,,, CACULUS.

And I don't think Collins has 4 more years. He needs 6 this year or he will be called to fire coaches and replace. He has another losing season after that...he will be gone. Just the nature of the business

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
As I have said a million times. We can only recruit about 25 to 30% of the kids that other teams can....CALCUCLUS CALCULUS,,, CACULUS.
You can say it as much as you want, that doesn’t make it true.

There may be a small percentage of kids (5-10%) we can’t recruit. The rest is open game.

And almost all athletes take Survey of Calc and Finite.

Just because kids didn’t want to come here previously, doesn’t mean it’s not possible.