Expectations for the 2021 season

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a brutally tough schedule for getting to 9+ wins. It's not really that tough of a schedule for getting to 6 wins.

You have to win pretty much all of the 50/50 games to get to 6 wins. We will likely be 7+ point underdogs against Clemson, UGA, ND, Miami, and UNC so we would have to win 6 of the other 7 or pull a pretty big upset to get to 6. It's possible but maybe not likely.

I appreciate us not playing a normal SEC cupcake schedule but when you start with Clemson (cross-division ACC game) and UGA (non conference rival) every season it's brutal to be adding Notre Dame, UCF, etc... on top of that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You have to win pretty much all of the 50/50 games to get to 6 wins. We will likely be 7+ point underdogs against Clemson, UGA, ND, Miami, and UNC so we would have to win 6 of the other 7 or pull a pretty big upset to get to 6. It's possible but maybe not likely.

I appreciate us not playing a normal SEC cupcake schedule but when you start with Clemson (cross-division ACC game) and UGA (non conference rival) every season it's brutal to be adding Notre Dame, UCF, etc... on top of that.
If we can't beat Miami or UNC then we likely have to win 3 out of 4 against BC, VT, UVA, and Pitt. All of which won 5 or 6 games last year. I'm not predicting we will do that but it's not some monumental task for a decent football team.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
If we can't beat Miami or UNC then we likely have to win 3 out of 4 against BC, VT, UVA, and Pitt. All of which won 5 or 6 games last year. I'm not predicting we will do that but it's not some monumental task for a decent football team.
It’s our basic schedule except for ND. I’m not sure we are quite up to it yet but hole to see at least 6 wins.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think UNC will be tougher than ND.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we likely win the first two and beat Duke and likely lose to Clemson, UGA, and ND. I think we will be big underdogs to Miami and UNC and the BC, VT, UVA, and Pitt games are 50/50 games. Your original statement is it's not tough to get to 6 wins on this schedule so you're saying if we don't pull an upset on Miami or UNC, then it's not tough to take 3 out of 4 of those games. Now that you've changed your wording to "monumental task" I will agree. It's not a monumental task to win 3 of those 4 but that's not what we were discussing either.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think we likely win the first two and beat Duke and likely lose to Clemson, UGA, and ND. I think we will be big underdogs to Miami and UNC and the BC, VT, UVA, and Pitt games are 50/50 games. Your original statement is it's not tough to get to 6 wins on this schedule so you're saying if we don't pull an upset on Miami or UNC, then it's not tough to take 3 out of 4 of those games. Now that you've changed your wording to "monumental task" I will agree. It's not a monumental task to win 3 of those 4 but that's not what we were discussing either.
My statement was about the schedule in general and not specifically about our team. There is a road to 6 wins beating nothing but average or bad teams. You could even lose to a bad or average team along the way and still get there. Whether our team is at a point in our progression to do that, im not sure. I hope so.

My statement was about the schedule in general and not specifically about our team. There is a road to 6 wins beating nothing but average or bad teams. You could even lose to a bad or average team along the way and still get there. Whether our team is at a point in our progression to do that, im not sure. I hope so.
Unless we have developed a lot over the last year and just improve some...the schedule is daunting. Hopefully we win the first 2. I fear that if we squeak by those it is not good. Then it Is Clemson and UNC in a row. I do not anticipate winning those but if we keep them close ok. If we get clobbered...watch out below. Pitt then comes and our wear and tear from the prior 2 games will be an issue. Duke is next and I call that one a 50-50 only because of coaching. At UVA....not good. Va Tech, they will come to play but that one I have no feel for. And as for November... I think we go 0-4. Miami, BC, ND UGA. My Concern is if it is a rough go, by Va Tech I just don't know how banged up we will be both mentally and physically.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Unless we have developed a lot over the last year and just improve some...the schedule is daunting. Hopefully we win the first 2. I fear that if we squeak by those it is not good. Then it Is Clemson and UNC in a row. I do not anticipate winning those but if we keep them close ok. If we get clobbered...watch out below. Pitt then comes and our wear and tear from the prior 2 games will be an issue. Duke is next and I call that one a 50-50 only because of coaching. At UVA....not good. Va Tech, they will come to play but that one I have no feel for. And as for November... I think we go 0-4. Miami, BC, ND UGA. My Concern is if it is a rough go, by Va Tech I just don't know how banged up we will be both mentally and physically.
When did our fanbase turn into a bunch of sad sack losers? Everyone acting like UNC and Miami and ND are just a touch below Clemson and UGA - newsflash, they are not, not even close. Miami and UNC have always been loaded with talent and still fall flat on their faces. Hell we beat Miami 2 years ago with the worst football team in the country and turd coaching. ND's whole team was seniors last year, they will be taking a significant step back. Quit acting like these 5 games we have zero chance, its pathetic. And 50-50 against Duke?? Duke??? Duke blows and they lost like half their production from last year, that should be like 90-10.

When did our fanbase turn into a bunch of sad sack losers? Everyone acting like UNC and Miami and ND are just a touch below Clemson and UGA - newsflash, they are not, not even close. Miami and UNC have always been loaded with talent and still fall flat on their faces. Hell we beat Miami 2 years ago with the worst football team in the country and turd coaching. ND's whole team was seniors last year, they will be taking a significant step back. Quit acting like these 5 games we have zero chance, its pathetic. And 50-50 against Duke?? Duke??? Duke blows and they lost like half their production from last year, that should be like 90-10.
This schedule would be tough no matter who is coaching. Last I saw it was ranked the 3rd toughest. Also for Duke, as I said we should have better players but they have better coaching. Coaching can get you a long way. Until our staff proves otherwise, we have a ways to go in the coaching department. And with that, UNC, ND etc has the advantage.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This schedule would be tough no matter who is coaching. Last I saw it was ranked the 3rd toughest. Also for Duke, as I said we should have better players but they have better coaching. Coaching can get you a long way. Until our staff proves otherwise, we have a ways to go in the coaching department. And with that, UNC, ND etc has the advantage.
Damn this is some harsh commentary on our coaching staff guys. I know they came in extremely inexperienced, but do we really think we’re still gonna get rolled by the likes of Dook, Pitt & BC because our coaching staff can’t get it together. It’s year 3, certainly we’ve now studied game situations and have consulted outsiders to help. I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case.

Scubapro

Banned
Damn this is some harsh commentary on our coaching staff guys. I know they came in extremely inexperienced, but do we really think we’re still gonna get rolled by the likes of Dook, Pitt & BC because our coaching staff can’t get it together. It’s year 3, certainly we’ve now studied game situations and have consulted outsiders to help. I’d be shocked if that wasn’t the case.
We got rolled by BC and Pitt last year. Not to mention Cuse.
Can the coaching improve? It would be an effort to do worse.
Did we get some outside consulting? I haven't heard about that but would probably be a good idea.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It's like some don't understand anything about statistics or probabilities and need to speak in absolutes about everything.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It's been that way since I can remember unfortunately. I'm 29 if that's any perspective for how long we've generally been that way

I'm not saying Duke will roll us but I am saying if the game is such we might lose on a coaching mistake or two. Pitt and BC are different situations. Pitt has talent to go along with some good coaching as does BC. We may have something close to their talent and better, but I think that their lines are better than ours.

If you run the scheme we run, you need to have much better talent than the opposition to feel good about winning.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Having went to HS in South GA this gives me plenty of perspective.

If these yokels were as smart as they all thought they were, they wouldn't be coaching AAA football in a one horse town 2hrs south of the Macon mall

This is like listening to your sister in law who is a nursing assistant tell you how she could be a surgeon because she "knows medicine". It's pointless to put any stock in what the lowest common denominator thinks.

for as much talking as these guys do about college coaches, they themselves better win every game by 21 since they have the game figured out 😂
You left out a couple.
Most are busy worrying about their team on weekends.
Huge percentage are Dwag fans.
Academically, many of their players will never go to college.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t necessarily agree with those comments but the eyes don’t lie. The coaching has been hard to watch many times. The recruiting, great. The strength and conditioning, great. The communication with the media and fans, great. The love of GT and not a paycheck, great. But, game day coaching, rough. We are all hoping it’s due to lack of players and freshman QB the first two years. I am rooting for our head coach and this staff. I think this is the best chance we’ve had in decades to unit this fan base. We have a head coach who is from Atlanta and genuinely wants to help GT be great. We also have a coaching staff full of GT greats who have come together to get GT back. If this staff fails we are hosed for a long time because we know what GT would do next - hire a retread type coach who checks the “experience” box and then proceed to mediocrity for a long time. Collins is getting GT players. If he succeeds this is gonna be a fun run.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don’t necessarily agree with those comments but the eyes don’t lie. The coaching has been hard to watch many times. The recruiting, great. The strength and conditioning, great. The communication with the media and fans, great. The love of GT and not a paycheck, great. But, game day coaching, rough. We are all hoping it’s due to lack of players and freshman QB the first two years. I am rooting for our head coach and this staff. I think this is the best chance we’ve had in decades to unit this fan base. We have a head coach who is from Atlanta and genuinely wants to help GT be great. We also have a coaching staff full of GT greats who have come together to get GT back. If this staff fails we are hosed for a long time because we know what GT would do next - hire a retread type coach who checks the “experience” box and then proceed to mediocrity for a long time. Collins is getting GT players. If he succeeds this is gonna be a fun run.
The only coaches interested in GT are guys like CGC and staff or retreads.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Tech beats NIU and KSU. Expectation: The Collins critics will say we didn’t win by enough and the play calling was no good.

Tech loses to Clemson by 20 something. Expectation: The Collins critics will say we are just as bad as last year and the play calling was bad.

Tech plays UNC a close game, but falters. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that another 3 win season is on tap because this staff can’t coach and the play calling was terrible

Tech wins 3 or 4 of the next 6 games. Expectation: Multiple choice from the Collins critics: a) didn’t run the ball enough; b) defense is no good—he’s supposed to be a defensive coach; c) we missed an extra point; d) we missed a field goal from 50; d) bad play calling; e) bad play calling; f) bad play calling

Tech loses at ND on the road by about the same margin as last year at home. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that we haven’t improved at all, and the play calling is worse.

Tech plays a respectable game against the Dwags, but can’t match the talent. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that Collins should have beaten the Dwags by now and he should be fired. Plus, the play calling was terrible all year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tech beats NIU and KSU. Expectation: The Collins critics will say we didn’t win by enough and the play calling was no good.

Tech loses to Clemson by 20 something. Expectation: The Collins critics will say we are just as bad as last year and the play calling was bad.

Tech plays UNC a close game, but falters. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that another 3 win season is on tap because this staff can’t coach and the play calling was terrible

Tech wins 3 or 4 of the next 6 games. Expectation: Multiple choice from the Collins critics: a) didn’t run the ball enough; b) defense is no good—he’s supposed to be a defensive coach; c) we missed an extra point; d) we missed a field goal from 50; d) bad play calling; e) bad play calling; f) bad play calling

Tech loses at ND on the road by about the same margin as last year at home. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that we haven’t improved at all, and the play calling is worse.

Tech plays a respectable game against the Dwags, but can’t match the talent. Expectation: The Collins critics will say that Collins should have beaten the Dwags by now and he should be fired. Plus, the play calling was terrible all year.

If KSU is a one score game, it is a very valid concern. If our talent level is that much better than it use to be we should be able to line up and run four verts on them and run them into the ground. If we turn the ball over, call crappy plays and don't cover the alley on the pitch like we did against citadel it will be very very telling. If you don't think this is a problem, I don't think its Collin's Koolaid you're overserving yourself.