Expectations for the 2021 season

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can not tell you who the coaches are. 3 active 2 retired. All State of Georgia high school coaches. Funny thing about what they also said....."CPJ was the best thing going for Tech. He needed to make some changes on his offense but as far as coaching and the program he is one of the best in the country". Their words not mine.
Interesting.

I guess in the past these discussions have always seemed gossipy and not worth giving time or consideration. But with the extra added emphasis CGC has put on brand and recruiting, having even just a few high school coaches whispering about him seems kind of noteworthy.

I know and talk to a lot of high school coaches down here in South Georgia. Let’s just say these guys as a group aren’t geniuses. You have smart ones and you also have your used car salesman types. This isn’t rocket science. Probst showed how easy it is - have a reputation for winning, get the community’s support, and live in the gray area regarding recruiting. And don’t ask where half of Lee Counties players live down here.

Until Collins wins everyone is going to pile on. It’s totally expected. Auburn, UGA, FSU, Clemson, Bama all want to kick dirt on GT because no one wants more competition. Ask FSU how it felt for a QB they dumped to end their season before it began last year. High school coaches know how to butter their bread. When Collins starts winning they’ll change their tune because it’s all about perception. I wonder what these same coaches say about Kirby who looks lost at the end of big games. Bottom line is the only coach who probably doesn’t get crushed in private is Saban. Imagine what these high school coaches were saying about Dabo a decade ago. Now, they all lick his boots praying for a text back like teenage girls.
So I can tell you what they said about Kirby. He gets lots of talent but lacks the final coaching piece to get Georgia to the finish line. As for Saban....they are impressed with his organization and program organization.

And again as for CGC, they think he can get some recruits but will never be able to get what he thinks he can. Academics. To that he needs to have better organization, run a different scheme to fit his players and game day coach better....not my words.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I know and talk to a lot of high school coaches down here in South Georgia. Let’s just say these guys as a group aren’t geniuses. You have smart ones and you also have your used car salesman types. This isn’t rocket science. Probst showed how easy it is - have a reputation for winning, get the community’s support, and live in the gray area regarding recruiting. And don’t ask where half of Lee Counties players live down here.

Until Collins wins everyone is going to pile on. It’s totally expected. Auburn, UGA, FSU, Clemson, Bama all want to kick dirt on GT because no one wants more competition. Ask FSU how it felt for a QB they dumped to end their season before it began last year. High school coaches know how to butter their bread. When Collins starts winning they’ll change their tune because it’s all about perception. I wonder what these same coaches say about Kirby who looks lost at the end of big games. Bottom line is the only coach who probably doesn’t get crushed in private is Saban. Imagine what these high school coaches were saying about Dabo a decade ago. Now, they all lick his boots praying for a text back like teenage girls.
You are correct. That’s why I asked where these experts went to college. You know they all have biases for certain colleges - for and against.

Like they have time to analyze and break down the best and worst assistant coaches at 10 or more colleges in the southeast that recruit ga.

We used to hear stories about high schools that said Paul and his staff had not visited them and didn’t try to recruit them.

Bottom line - a college coach will always have somebody running them down about something they do or say or don’t do or say.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Having went to HS in South GA this gives me plenty of perspective.

If these yokels were as smart as they all thought they were, they wouldn't be coaching AAA football in a one horse town 2hrs south of the Macon mall

This is like listening to your sister in law who is a nursing assistant tell you how she could be a surgeon because she "knows medicine". It's pointless to put any stock in what the lowest common denominator thinks.

for as much talking as these guys do about college coaches, they themselves better win every game by 21 since they have the game figured out 😂

Having went to HS in South GA this gives me plenty of perspective.

If these yokels were as smart as they all thought they were, they wouldn't be coaching AAA football in a one horse town 2hrs south of the Macon mall

This is like listening to your sister in law who is a nursing assistant tell you how she could be a surgeon because she "knows medicine". It's pointless to put any stock in what the lowest common denominator thinks.

for as much talking as these guys do about college coaches, they themselves better win every game by 21 since they have the game figured out 😂
FYI, some of these coaches....local yokels, are invited to speak at coaching clinics all around the country. They also get called from College coaches to help asses talent around Georgia and not just their own. Your really might be surprised.

And why some stay at the high school level...well lets see, not as much pressure, they like to actually teach and influence kids at a time in their life when they actually can. The community provides them with things like cars etc. They also are in smaller areas and live on nice spreads of land. Sounds pretty good to me to be like this doing something you love.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FYI, some of these coaches....local yokels, are invited to speak at coaching clinics all around the country. They also get called from College coaches to help asses talent around Georgia and not just their own. Your really might be surprised.

And why some stay at the high school level...well lets see, not as much pressure, they like to actually teach and influence kids at a time in their life when they actually can. The community provides them with things like cars etc. They also are in smaller areas and live on nice spreads of land. Sounds pretty good to me to be like this doing something you love.

Based on my experience (have taught at two HS and my son played FB at another), I have known coaches at 3 places (outside of Ga fwiw), all of which have state championships on their resume. I agree with you on one thing - I have been impressed with their passion for and dedication to the game and helping kids. One of these guys played in the NFL, another at a D1 school. They put in long hours year round. I respect who they are and what they do.

WTBS, I don't know that they have anymore insight into a college program than many of us do unless the coach is at one of those types of schools that are sending one or more players into D1 programs on an annual basis. That is someone who may have real 'insider" information via ongoing player feedback and continous contact with multiple coaching staffs. The coaches I know don't rub shoulders with their college counterparts frequently.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. That’s why I asked where these experts went to college. You know they all have biases for certain colleges - for and against.

Like they have time to analyze and break down the best and worst assistant coaches at 10 or more colleges in the southeast that recruit ga.

We used to hear stories about high schools that said Paul and his staff had not visited them and didn’t try to recruit them.

Bottom line - a college coach will always have somebody running them down about something they do or say or don’t do or say.
Exactly. Which is why I said when we heard this gossip about the three previous Tech coaches I thought it was silly to build a case against any one coach based on what high school coaches say.

I wish we could drop the false talking points now that CPJ was not into recruiting or didn’t have a good relationship with high school coaches. That was overblown and not helpful to the program. Likewise the narrative that CGC is unorganized, runs the wrong scheme for the kind of players he can recruit and is blowing smoke about elite athletes -all that too should not be used to support a preconceived narrative.

But I know I am asking too much of some people on this site who only support this coach or that coach.

Otherwise, we should be able to just take in data points without building a federal case. Coaching at Tech is hard. I remember when I was a kid and Dodd was the coach we used to marvel that Tech had only had three head coaches in its history. We also knew that the advantage was that these three coaches were from the same “family tree,” understood Tech students and knew how to use innovative schemes to win.

I will argue to the day I die that Bud Carson was a good coach. But he was the wrong coach for Tech for several reasons and the Tech family tree was broken. We have been hit or miss with our coaches ever since and Tech fans have become somewhat cynical and often very impatient. CGC is a Tech man. If he can put it together we might get back on the right track. But getting back to where we need to be is a generational challenge and will take time.

Did I say coaching at Tech is hard?

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to Expectations for 2021

Here's a 🔥hot take🔥...or maybe just a lukewarm one, but I think between the BC and Virginia Tech games we'll see the biggest change in outcome from our previous meetings with each team. 🔥🔥🔥

Boston College: This game sucked last year. 48-27. Ugh. A big part of that nasty margin of defeat was that we gift wrapped them 21 points off turnovers. A fumble on our own 25, a fumble returned for a touchdown, and then an interception on our own 12. Boom, there's the 21 point margin. I've got to imagine that between Sims being in his 2nd year, some OL improvement, and just plain luck we won't have that run of awful turnovers again. Maybe we at least get one for us as well. And we get them at home this time. I see a W. As long as Thacker can stop their QB from running for nearly 100 yds.

VT: This game sucked in 2019. But I think GT is a vastly different team from 2019 and significantly better and I'm not sure what to expect from the Hokies. I don't think they're going to be a bad team but Ole Bud Foster is gone, the QB Herndon Hooker transferred out. They've had a few transfers out of their program, notably along the OL. Their coach tried to bail to Baylor when that job was open so I don't think there's a ton of support for him. I'm interested to see how their season plays out. They've got UNC, WVU, ND in their first 5 games before they go to Pitt. If things go sideways could they be firing their coach before they even get to ATL? Regardless I definitely do not expect the blowout/shutout we got in 2019. Looking for a close game if not a W.

On top of these I feel pretty good about UVA being winnable. Damn near beat them in 2019 when they had Bryce Perkins and won the Coastal and as I said above, I think GT this year will be much better this year than 2019.
Pick off these 3 games along with NIU, KS, and Dook and that's a bowl game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Which is why I said when we heard this gossip about the three previous Tech coaches I thought it was silly to build a case against any one coach based on what high school coaches say.

I wish we could drop the false talking points now that CPJ was not into recruiting or didn’t have a good relationship with high school coaches. That was overblown and not helpful to the program. Likewise the narrative that CGC is unorganized, runs the wrong scheme for the kind of players he can recruit and is blowing smoke about elite athletes -all that too should not be used to support a preconceived narrative.

But I know I am asking too much of some people on this site who only support this coach or that coach.

Otherwise, we should be able to just take in data points without building a federal case. Coaching at Tech is hard. I remember when I was a kid and Dodd was the coach we used to marvel that Tech had only had three head coaches in its history. We also knew that the advantage was that these three coaches were from the same “family tree,” understood Tech students and knew how to use innovative schemes to win.

I will argue to the day I die that Bud Carson was a good coach. But he was the wrong coach for Tech for several reasons and the Tech family tree was broken. We have been hit or miss with our coaches ever since and Tech fans have become somewhat cynical and often very impatient. CGC is a Tech man. If he can put it together we might get back on the right track. But getting back to where we need to be is a generational challenge and will take time.

Did I say coaching at Tech is hard?
Interesting about Bud Carson. A lot of his players did not like him but they respected him. One thing for sure, those Carson teams would hit you into the middle of next week. As for high school coaches, it will be very hard to get more than a handful to be supportive of Tech. There is a huge amount of built in bias against Tech that Coach Collins has to overcome and deal with. My hat is off to him for trying to change a half century of history. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Back to Expectations for 2021

Here's a 🔥hot take🔥...or maybe just a lukewarm one, but I think between the BC and Virginia Tech games we'll see the biggest change in outcome from our previous meetings with each team. 🔥🔥🔥

Boston College: This game sucked last year. 48-27. Ugh. A big part of that nasty margin of defeat was that we gift wrapped them 21 points off turnovers. A fumble on our own 25, a fumble returned for a touchdown, and then an interception on our own 12. Boom, there's the 21 point margin. I've got to imagine that between Sims being in his 2nd year, some OL improvement, and just plain luck we won't have that run of awful turnovers again. Maybe we at least get one for us as well. And we get them at home this time. I see a W. As long as Thacker can stop their QB from running for nearly 100 yds.

VT: This game sucked in 2019. But I think GT is a vastly different team from 2019 and significantly better and I'm not sure what to expect from the Hokies. I don't think they're going to be a bad team but Ole Bud Foster is gone, the QB Herndon Hooker transferred out. They've had a few transfers out of their program, notably along the OL. Their coach tried to bail to Baylor when that job was open so I don't think there's a ton of support for him. I'm interested to see how their season plays out. They've got UNC, WVU, ND in their first 5 games before they go to Pitt. If things go sideways could they be firing their coach before they even get to ATL? Regardless I definitely do not expect the blowout/shutout we got in 2019. Looking for a close game if not a W.

On top of these I feel pretty good about UVA being winnable. Damn near beat them in 2019 when they had Bryce Perkins and won the Coastal and as I said above, I think GT this year will be much better this year than 2019.
Pick off these 3 games along with NIU, KS, and Dook and that's a bowl game.
I agree with you that we can beat NIU, KS and Duke, the others? I am not at all convinced that we are better than BC, Virginia Tech, and UVA. All three of them are rated higher than we are in the preseason magazines and prognostications (not that any of them mean all that much) but losing Hooker is big as far as Virginia Tech is concerned along with the ongoing Fuentes saga. That team just might decide to mail it in before they play us. You never saw that with Bud and Frank.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you that we can beat NIU, KS and Duke, the others? I am not at all convinced that we are better than BC, Virginia Tech, and UVA. All three of them are rated higher than we are in the preseason magazines and prognostications (not that any of them mean all that much) but losing Hooker is big as far as Virginia Tech is concerned along with the ongoing Fuentes saga. That team just might decide to mail it in before they play us. You never saw that with Bud and Frank.
The preseason magazines always predict what happened last year. Those guys know less about Tech than the average GTSwarm poster.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
So I can tell you what they said about Kirby. He gets lots of talent but lacks the final coaching piece to get Georgia to the finish line. As for Saban....they are impressed with his organization and program organization.

And again as for CGC, they think he can get some recruits but will never be able to get what he thinks he can. Academics. To that he needs to have better organization, run a different scheme to fit his players and game day coach better....not my words.
Agree completely with those assessments. Great talent can overcome SOME shortcomings of coaching, and sometimes pure luck might play a part ( injuries for instance ). But I believe it's something like 65% talent, 20% coaching, 10% scheme and 5% luck to get to the NC each year.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree completely with those assessments. Great talent can overcome SOME shortcomings of coaching, and sometimes pure luck might play a part ( injuries for instance ). But I believe it's something like 65% talent, 20% coaching, 10% scheme and 5% luck to get to the NC each year.
Scheduling and officiating should be added. But, I'm not sure how much I would change your percentages.