Expectations for the 2021 season

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn’t management just do math for management instead of Calculus? Architecture EAS and BC probably don’t either.
Mgmt has to take at least the first calc class. All Arch degrees require a year of calculus plus Diff Eq's.

Edit: Mgmt takes a year as well, though there is a lesser option (for survey of calculus and finite math

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
uga has easily 3x the number of fans we do, if not more. What makes you think our donors will pony up enough money routinely to win bidding wars for elite athletes against $EC factories?
Again, you are using the current mindset. It’s not about the number of fans or donors. That’s the current and past way. We’ve had many threads over the years about the way the school itself is a separate entity from the AA and we’ve seen the many scenarios where donors want to give money to one and not the other. We’ve had many threads where football donors stopped giving because of the way GT handled the money. If players are now going to be compensated the entire system changes. And all it takes is 1 big pocket donor who earmarks his donation in the future system. With GT finally having a President, AD, and Head Coach who all get along and are on the same page I think GT is well positioned for however this shakes out. It may take a decade for the new system to shake out but there are a lot of smart people out there who will use this to their advantage. And those smart people aren’t in Athens or Tuscaloosa. Those places thrived in the under the table world because they were willing to lay with scumbags. The current factories are losing their main advantage which is willingness to tarnish their schools by cheating. Now that paying isn’t cheating you’ll see the playing field level out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Again, you are using the current mindset. It’s not about the number of fans or donors. That’s the current and past way. We’ve had many threads over the years about the way the school itself is a separate entity from the AA and we’ve seen the many scenarios where donors want to give money to one and not the other. We’ve had many threads where football donors stopped giving because of the way GT handled the money. If players are now going to be compensated the entire system changes. And all it takes is 1 big pocket donor who earmarks his donation in the future system. With GT finally having a President, AD, and Head Coach who all get along and are on the same page I think GT is well positioned for however this shakes out. It may take a decade for the new system to shake out but there are a lot of smart people out there who will use this to their advantage. And those smart people aren’t in Athens or Tuscaloosa. Those places thrived in the under the table world because they were willing to lay with scumbags. The current factories are losing their main advantage which is willingness to tarnish their schools by cheating. Now that paying isn’t cheating you’ll see the playing field level out.

Regardless of "mindset", money doesn't grow on trees. Let's say we have 5-10 big pocket donors. uga and the SEC schools will have easily 5x as many as we do. That's why their facilities are generally so far ahead of ours. We might be able to selectively outbid on a single recruit from time to time, but we could not hope to keep up with the sheer volume of money that pours out of the factories.

Also, assuming that smart people don't reside in Athens or Tuscaloosa is naïve. All this change does is make the shady bag men legitimate now. Money will still funnel to the factories.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’ve a feeling that this situation is going to get out of control quick, they are going to have to set a salary cap like in pro sports.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve a feeling that this situation is going to get out of control quick, they are going to have to set a salary cap like in pro sports.
The NFL has an (narrow) anti-trust exemption from Congress. The NCAA doesn’t, and is currently less popular than Congress.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm hoping the human propensity and tendencies towards greed, avarice, and so forth really show out in the kids who are in the college football factory system, primarily as a stepping stone to the NFL, and erode team chemistry and the schools' programs from within. And GT needs to get ahead of this with support to teach our athletes how not to get all wrapped up in it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Math for Management is a survey of calculus. It's not as rigorous as the calculus we took as engineering majors, but it certainly is calculus. They have to learn to differentiate, integrate, etc.

Calculus is a fear reaction for most people. It really isn't that hard ther eis a small set of rules... apply them. THe problem is simple algebra is taught by education majors that barely got through it themselves in 6 and 7th grade.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like you're missing a step here. There's nothing really to be gained by getting the best players to come to play for a certain team besides championships. I really doubt anyone in the oil industry will invest in Texas that wasn't already investing in Texas. Same for movie stars and USC. The payoff is only more championships, so nobody that didn't already care about those will care once paying players is legalized. And those who already care are already donating to AA budgets. So the rising tide will continue to raise all the ships and more money will be pumped into CFB and its players with the teams that are big money schools becoming bigger money schools.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Calculus is a fear reaction for most people. It really isn't that hard ther eis a small set of rules... apply them. THe problem is simple algebra is taught by education majors that barely got through it themselves in 6 and 7th grade.
Speak for yourself, Kemosabe. The calculus may have been easy but the tests were very hard. I was there when they were still trying to flunk out two out of three of the unfortunate students. When did you matriculate?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Speak for yourself, Kemosabe. The calculus may have been easy but the tests were very hard. I was there when they were still trying to flunk out two out of three of the unfortunate students. When did you matriculate?
06-2010, they were still runnign 300 student halls i think you missed my point. Im not talkgin about th enormal calc 1 class. The surveys would be absolutely fine for people if they didn't have **** algebra skills.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I took 2 quarters of calculus at another school before transferring in to GT so I feel qualified to speak on the matter. Calculus, like any other subject, is easy when you have capable teachers who are actually interested in the art and science of teaching. Calculus at GT is another matter altogether and is artificially made difficult by the absence of quality teaching and thus the requirement to learn it on one's own.

just to deflect the inevitable comments, like you BurdellJacket I went to school at NATS back when people struggled to get out. To potential students and parents (particularly of athletic recruits): it is a different place now. The teachers are wonderful and the students are really happy and everyone who goes there gets a degree!!! So don't let the comments from a grouchy old man who got out 40+ years ago paint a picture that is no longer true. It's a veritable utopia on North Avenue now. Really. It is. Send your kids!! Especially if he or she is a run stuffing DT who can also collapse the pocket on passing downs.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I took 2 quarters of calculus at another school before transferring in to GT so I feel qualified to speak on the matter. Calculus, like any other subject, is easy when you have capable teachers who are actually interested in the art and science of teaching. Calculus at GT is another matter altogether and is artificially made difficult by the absence of quality teaching and thus the requirement to learn it on one's own.

just to deflect the inevitable comments, like you BurdellJacket I went to school at NATS back when people struggled to get out. To potential students and parents (particularly of athletic recruits): it is a different place now. The teachers are wonderful and the students are really happy and everyone who goes there gets a degree!!! So don't let the comments from a grouchy old man who got out 40+ years ago paint a picture that is no longer true. It's a veritable utopia on North Avenue now. Really. It is. Send your kids!! Especially if he or she is a run stuffing DT who can also collapse the pocket on passing downs.
Yup. I graduated in '74. I have a son who will graduate soon. Same major as me. Night and day difference in the culture of the school--and mostly in a good way. Tech still does things like 5 hours of class for 3 hours credit, and it can be easy to get a C in some courses, but it's harder to get a D or an F if you are going to class and trying than it used to be. It's clear to me that a lot of folks on this board are basing their comments about GT academics on experiences from 20 years ago or more, and things have changed. Again, in a good way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I guess we've moved on to the expectations of general freshmen students taking Calculus at GT? So it's unanimous that our football should at least make a bowl game...

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Glad to hear it, @4shotB. Incidentally, I am a grouchy old man who got out 50+ years ago!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you struggle with algebra, calculus is really hard. If you have an irrational fear of math, in general, calculus is really hard. If your mind doesn't naturally follow numbers and how they work, calculus is really hard. I've always found it funny how engineers say calculus really isn't hard (not pointing at you but others in my 30+ years since taking calculus), but struggle with subject/verb agreement and simple spelling. Everyone's mind works differently.

All this being said, OL are typically the smartest players on the field. So, handling calculus shouldn't be tough for these smart OL. On the flip side, interior DL usually test the lowest...