Expectations for the 2021 season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that should count from last year is the championship. Other than that, it was a patchwork season of glorified scrimmages. Use it as an extended Spring Practice and let's move on. Nothing about last year was normal and nothing about last year could be considered equivalent to anyone's second year at a program. The NCAA recognized that and did not count last year as a year of eligibility for the players, so as far as I'm concerned this is Year 2 in the development of this team. You can think whatever you want, equating last year to ANY other coach's 2nd year in a program shows how ignorant you are. There has never been another year like last year, not even during WWII.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Let's everybody just relax.
Will Ferrell Chill GIF

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The only thing that should count from last year is the championship. Other than that, it was a patchwork season of glorified scrimmages. Use it as an extended Spring Practice and let's move on. Nothing about last year was normal and nothing about last year could be considered equivalent to anyone's second year at a program. The NCAA recognized that and did not count last year as a year of eligibility for the players, so as far as I'm concerned this is Year 2 in the development of this team. You can think whatever you want, equating last year to ANY other coach's 2nd year in a program shows how ignorant you are. There has never been another year like last year, not even during WWII.
Of course you’re welcome to your opinion and you’ve got a background where I respect your opinion, but the games counted. We won three conference games - two were unexpected and one was better than expected. But we also lost most games and most of them were not competitive. This is a new year, but it is the third season under CGC and it is fair for fans to expect progress after a third year. I hope to see it but there should be no passes if we don’t.
This is the year where we know what direction we are heading.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Of course you’re welcome to your opinion and you’ve got a background where I respect your opinion, but the games counted. We won three conference games - two were unexpected and one was better than expected. But we also lost most games and most of them were not competitive. This is a new year, but it is the third season under CGC and it is fair for fans to expect progress after a third year. I hope to see it but there should be no passes if we don’t.
This is the year where we know what direction we are heading.
I think that's next year, but these are all just opinions of the unwashed masses. One thing for sure (I think), we all want GT to win as many games as possible and to look great doing it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Collins is good, and is the best recruiter we've had at GT in some time, but we aren't threatening uga's dominance of recruiting in this state. We will pick off a more 4*'s than we normally do, which if we are consistent with it, may get us into the top20 eventually with recruiting. To threaten uga's dominance, we're gonna have to start beating them for the high 4*'s and 5*s that they are getting.
To beat them- yes we have to get a bunch of special players and put together a great team, but we always have to out-coach those bastards to win, their talent advantage is pretty insurmountable. Of course that is what makes wins against football factories SO freaking sweet, to know your guys beat them with smarts, heart, and hustle.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To beat them- yes we have to get a bunch of special players and put together a great team, but we always have to out-coach those bastards to win, their talent advantage is pretty insurmountable. Of course that is what makes wins against football factories SO freaking sweet, to know your guys beat them with smarts, heart, and hustle.
Agree, This is what always makes a win over the factories so sweet.

I think my all time favorite win over uga might just be 2014. Not only did we beat a team with a dozen future NFL draft picks, we had to overcome some very one-sided referees. At their house. But the best TEAM won overcoming a bunch of individual stars.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

I think my all time favorite win over uga might just be 2014. Not only did we beat a team with a dozen future NFL draft picks, we had to overcome some very one-sided referees. At their house. But the best TEAM won overcoming a bunch of individual stars.
I was there and even the dwag fans were impressed. I also remember basically the 14 point swing the refs have ugag when they didn't blow the whistle dead on Thomas's run and called it a fumble.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

True, but I was responding to the posters assertion that we were "threatening uga's dominance in recruiting" in the state of GA which I don't believe we are even close to doing.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Nice way to move the goal posts. You asked a question. I answered. You should probably learn to not ask a question if you're not going to like the answer...
Moving the goal posts? How? It’s over CPJs tenure. The field is fixed. He did not produce enough NFL players over his time frame to brag about. That’s a fact. We’ll be able to add another kicker to your list in a few years. Woooohoooo!!!

Scubapro

Banned

One of my favorites as well with a close 2nd of 2000 (Goose is loose) in Athens. daMutts had more talent but we were superbly coached. It was text book study a team vs guys looking for draft status.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Moving the goal posts? How? It’s over CPJs tenure. The field is fixed. He did not produce enough NFL players over his time frame to brag about. That’s a fact. We’ll be able to add another kicker to your list in a few years. Woooohoooo!!!

You asked for a list of CPJ players who "made it" in the NFL. I provided it. Now you are moving the goal posts saying it's "not enough."

Considering his offense was heavy on non-NFL types (Think ABs and smaller more athletic OL) the fact that we have a decent showing in the NFL is a credit to him.

And by the way, I choose to brag about ANY GT player who made it in the NFL, no matter who the coach is. Not having an arbitrary number that equates to "enough" doesn't enter into the equation. My loyalty is to GT. I don't let agendas cloud my love for the Institute...

You asked for a list of CPJ players who "made it" in the NFL. I provided it. Now you are moving the goal posts saying it's "not enough."

Considering his offense was heavy on non-NFL types (Think ABs and smaller more athletic OL) the fact that we have a decent showing in the NFL is a credit to him.

And by the way, I choose to brag about ANY GT player who made it in the NFL, no matter who the coach is. Not having an arbitrary number that equates to "enough" doesn't enter into the equation. My loyalty is to GT. I don't let agendas cloud my love for the Institute...
So interesting...do you know which GT coach put the most players into the NFL........Pepper. In the 1979 draft alone we had 7. The most ever.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Don’t get holier than thou. I support all of our guys too. I’m asking you to brag about CPJ ability to get players who can make it in the NFL. My initial response was to someone that said they could “go on and on”. You just can’t.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m the outlier but I don’t care at all what any player does or doesn’t do in the NFL, whether they are former GT players or not. I‘m a college football guy and that’s what matters. I have my couple of teams I root for in the NFL when it’s convenient for me and I root for those players without considering what jersey they use to wear. I do root for Butker however because he’ll have the longest career of probably any GT player ever. Since I’m a college guy I love me some Dez White and Josh Nesbitt and Jerry Mays and many others who never sniffed the NFL. They are all legends to me. I’m not like UGA fans and count Super Bowls by former players to make up for my teams shortcomings where it counts - college football.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m the outlier but I don’t care at all what any player does or doesn’t do in the NFL, whether they are former GT players or not. I‘m a college football guy and that’s what matters. I have my couple of teams I root for in the NFL when it’s convenient for me and I root for those players without considering what jersey they use to wear. I do root for Butker however because he’ll have the longest career of probably any GT player ever. Since I’m a college guy I love me some Dez White and Josh Nesbitt and Jerry Mays and many others who never sniffed the NFL. They are all legends to me. I’m not like UGA fans and count Super Bowls by former players to make up for my teams shortcomings where it counts - college football.
Nobody here is talking about what the players do in the NFL because they are interested in following them in the NFL or as ways to measure the success of those programs. The entire purpose of that part of the discussion is as it pertains to how much talent programs have, which doesn't always correlate to wins. Some people get more out of their physical traits than others. This discussion isn't even close to being about counting former GT (or any other college players) player in the NFL as a measure of the success of our program. However, the better the players you have on the field in college the more likely it is for you to win football games (and of course it should go without saying but I'm saying it anyway because if I don't then people will immediately say something about it; you MUST have good coaching to take advantage of that talent or it really is moot how much talent you have, so you need both good players and good coaching, not just one or the other). And ONE of the measuring sticks, not the only one, of how physically gifted the athletes are that are in your program is how many of them go on to play in the NFL. And of course there are plenty of great college players who do not go on to play in the NFL or who do but flame out early. I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say that Joe Hamilton was the best college football player in 1999 but his NFL career wasn't really indicative of how great and dominant he was in college.

My point is that looking at how many players go on to the NFL is ONE measurement of the talent that you've had coming through the program. It's not the only one. And it isn't a measure of the success of the program, either.