Expectations for the 2021 season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would not give up on GT Football or the players, However the fact is that Coach Geoff Collins would be showing weaknesses in managing games and other non-recruiting elements. I mean the fact is that CGC and GT have gone 6-16 in the last two seasons and that is the worst B2B record in 26 years to top it off 14 were double-digit blowouts and one was to Citadel from the FCS, not to mention he has coached Tech to the largest margin of defeat in modern era (Clemson 73-7). The points allowed were exceeded only by Auburn’s 94-0 win in 1894, Tech’s third season of football. There has yet to be a win over a team that finished with a winning record. I am not expecting Coach Collins to win the ACC or even take us to an OB. But asking him to take a team with far more talent than Coach Johnson had and go .500 in OOC and in ACC play shouldn't be much of a stretch. If he can only squeeze five wins out of a schedule that has him playing:

Kennesaw State
NIU
PItt
Duke
UVA
VT
BC
Miami

I would say if he won only five games this year in year three with all these transfers and the uptick in recruiting than the program is not in a rebuild, it will have been set back. Does it mean that Coach Collins won’t be able to compete for a division title in year four or five? No, with the talent on this team at some point he may. But the issue isn't talent or recruiting....It may just be Coaching! 6 wins in 2021 for me, means that Coach Collins is developing the program in the positive way. But for me I have drawn the line in the sand. I am hopeful CGC can start walking the walk after talking the talk the last few years! ( and no If CGC is not the answer I do not want to go back to the option) I am just saying we need to be coaching everyone up and if we do that we should be able to compete at the .500 level. IMHO it is not a big ask unless you are not a good head coach. (see Ted Roofs Duke era)
To look at last year as anything but a free year of practice and real-game scrimmages is laughable. Anyone who doesn't consider this to be Year 2+ either doesn't understand high-level sports or has an agenda. Even the NCAA said last year didn't count as a real football season. The only thing that mattered was who won the championship. Everything else was about assessing players and preparing the team for this upcoming year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are delusional if you think stars mean absolutely nothing.
He's not delusional, he has an agenda. Any time he thinks anyone is crapping on the previous coaching staff, he pipes up with the same old stuff. What he needs to realize is that just because someone says "the cupboard was bare" they're not criticizing CPJ and that even if they are, it's not his job in life to stand up and defend CPJ. Most on here loved what CPJ brought to GT and did for us. Most understand that the athletes CPJ had in key positions for his program are not necessarily the athletes CGC wants for those key positions in his program. Getting the right guys in and developed takes time, so everyone needs to be patient, and some of us need to stop being sensitive to inferred slights.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The 247 transfer portal does not show that all are eligible. I am just going off that.
Time to keep up with the times. The NCAA ratified the immediate eligibility for transfers (one time per athlete) on 28 April of this year. There has been a lot of discussion on this board about that NCAA decision. Making bold statements against our program will always generate pushback especially when the statement is incorrect.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing about these transfers. Many are still not eligible for this year. Also many were not even starters from the teams they are coming from. We have a DT from Old Dominion, 2 star out of high school that has yet to face a D-1 team. Sort of like Freshmen...unknown. Hope they are good but why are they transferring?
Name 1 transfer that is not eligible for this year. That comment makes no sense. EVERY transfer was given an immediate waiver to play this year.

One-Time Transfer Exception Criteria for 2021-22 Enrollment

In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:

• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Can you go on and on with guys that proved themselves in the NFL?
I don't care about the NFL. Our greatest players in my life time didn't do much in the NFL and or never played....but they won at Tech. And if we start measuring ourselves by the NFL....well it will never be pretty. Is calculus required to be in the NFL....it is to play at Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't care about the NFL. Our greatest players in my life time didn't do much in the NFL and or never played....but they won at Tech. And if we start measuring ourselves by the NFL....well it will never be pretty. Is calculus required to be in the NFL....it is to play at Tech.
Yeah, I’ve never understood the NFL argument used to negate what happens in college. In my lifetime I’ve seen All Americans, All Conference, Heisman Trophy winners and National Champions who never made it in the NFL.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I’ve never understood the NFL argument used to negate what happens in college. In my lifetime I’ve seen All Americans, All Conference, Heisman Trophy winners and National Champions who never made it in the NFL.
Odds are high if you are an All American you will be paid in the NFL. Odds are the teams with the most NFL draftees will be the teams playing for National and Conference Championships. There is a very high correlation between teams with a lot of elite football players winning big in college and having a high number of players drafted by NFL teams. This isn’t rocket science. Are there exceptions, sure but they are “exceptions.”

Odds are high if you are an All American you will be paid in the NFL. Odds are the teams with the most NFL draftees will be the teams playing for National and Conference Championships. There is a very high correlation between teams with a lot of elite football players winning big in college and having a high number of players drafted by NFL teams. This isn’t rocket science. Are there exceptions, sure but they are “exceptions.”
So if we look at the ACC, you are correct and not correct. Since 2005 here are the teams and number of ACCCGs
Clemson 8
Va Tech 6
FSU 5
GT 4
BC 2

and a bunch of 1's
Clemson certainly has put players in the NFL as FSU, but who puts the most....Miami. And Va Tech BC and us are not exactly NFL factories.
Now the SEC....sure. But they are the exception.
So you have a great point....but again if you are banking on GT getting a bunch of NFL players.....well I wouldn't make book on it. In fact you can say that the Gailey years probably produced our most NFL players and we were a 7 win team.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
So if we look at the ACC, you are correct and not correct. Since 2005 here are the teams and number of ACCCGs
Clemson 8
Va Tech 6
FSU 5
GT 4
BC 2

and a bunch of 1's
Clemson certainly has put players in the NFL as FSU, but who puts the most....Miami. And Va Tech BC and us are not exactly NFL factories.
Now the SEC....sure. But they are the exception.
So you have a great point....but again if you are banking on GT getting a bunch of NFL players.....well I wouldn't make book on it. In fact you can say that the Gailey years probably produced our most NFL players and we were a 7 win team.
Would love to be a 7 win team right now.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I remember a time when 7 wins weren't good enough for Tech fans, Coach Gailey and Johnson were torched for it on the boards, by fans and in the media. Today everyone would be happy with a 7 win season. Interesting, very interesting!
It's all relative. I'd be happy with it this year. Let's get something straight - Unlike Chan and Paul, Geoff Collins inherited a depleted cupboard. He's done a good job replenishing it. We'll see what happens from here on out...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's all relative. I'd be happy with it this year. Let's get something straight - Unlike Chan and Paul, Geoff Collins inherited a depleted cupboard. He's done a good job replenishing it. We'll see what happens from here on out...
Queue Coloradojacket in 3...2...1...

Edit: just to be clear, I don't think Paul left the cupboard depleted, just not full of what CGC needed or wanted for what he planned to run. I'd consider it more a revamping than a rebuilding.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
So you have a great point....but again if you are banking on GT getting a bunch of NFL players.....well I wouldn't make book on it.
But nearly all of GT's appearances (even under CPJ) are correlated with having NFL talent on the team. Exception might be the 2012 appearance where we needed 2 teams ahead of us to be ineligible for us to make it into the game

Queue Coloradojacket in 3...2...1...

Edit: just to be clear, I don't think Paul left the cupboard depleted, just not full of what CGC needed or wanted for what he planned to run. I'd consider it more a revamping than a rebuilding.
Oh...ok..what it should show Tech fans, as history proves. We are a team with a fine line between 3 wins, 7 wins, and 10 wins. Good coaching gets us 7. Good coaching a some breaks gives us 10. I will leave the 3 wins as simply...inexperienced coaching. Sort of like Bill Lewis.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Oh...ok..what it should show Tech fans, as history proves. We are a team with a fine line between 3 wins, 7 wins, and 10 wins. Good coaching gets us 7. Good coaching a some breaks gives us 10. I will leave the 3 wins as simply...inexperienced coaching. Sort of like Bill Lewis.
He who must not be named.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think historically (at least recent history) Tech has shown to be a 5-7 win team with whatever hindrances we've had to endure (bad coaching, bad breaks, high academic standards, injuries, etc.). I think good coaching and breaks gets us to 9-11 wins (as you say). The rare 3-win or fewer seasons have generally been during transitions or when the team fell apart from horrible coaching (2015 is an anomaly). I think we are building towards that 7-win plateau with this version of revamping and if the coaching shows to be as good on game-day as they are on the recruiting trail, I expect we'll be in the 9-11 wins more often than not. Only time will tell. BL is the 0-1 win coach, not the 3 win coach.