Expectations for the 2021 season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It all depends on how long Coach Collins and AD Stansbury can maintain the optimism and enthusiasm of the fan base without wins. So far they have only told us how good it's going to be, we have to believe in the strategy, and be patient. Each year with poor on the field performance will erode their ability to do this. Three wins next year and we're in trouble. Five wins and we can breath easier. Six wins and we're on our way.
To be honest, I don't care too much about the optimism and enthusiasm of the fanbase. If he is getting the kids to buy into what he's selling, eventually they'll start winning. Even if the fanbase starts to sour, all it takes is one good season followed by another good season and the fanbase is right back there. Look no further than our basketball team for case and point.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I just want to see the Oregon mid-2000’s momentum copied to GT. Technology, facilities, uniforms turned into recruiting.

Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly.. around that transition is when recruiting really picked up for them into top 15.

Bellotti had some success but it wasnt terribly different than GT over the years hit or miss.

Collins has the right things going in his direction for that type of boost (the Oregon boost) but the on field scheme/coaching is TBD.
If the 2022 class has 6+ four stars then watch out.. top 15

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins had to distance the football program from the triple option because the triple option had been stigmatized by the press and other coaches. Every recruit in middle and high school had negative thoughts about that offense. So, Collins job was to flip the script with hopes that GT could attract the Sims and Gibbs of the elite high school players. He did it.

Now it’s time to show the recruiting and brand change starts to show results. I don’t know if we‘ll win more games but we gotta compete better than the past two years. I think we’ll be way better but wins ultimately come down to QB’s making plays when the game is on the line. Only time will tell.

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins had to distance the football program from the triple option because the triple option had been stigmatized by the press and other coaches. Every recruit in middle and high school had negative thoughts about that offense. So, Collins job was to flip the script with hopes that GT could attract the Sims and Gibbs of the elite high school players. He did it.

Now it’s time to show the recruiting and brand change starts to show results. I don’t know if we‘ll win more games but we gotta compete better than the past two years. I think we’ll be way better but wins ultimately come down to QB’s making plays when the game is on the line. Only time will tell.
"...wins ultimately come down to QB’s making plays..."
Absolutely true, SOWEGA...I believe Sims is the real deal and our O will be light years better this year...
I also believe that "...wins ultimately come down to DEFENSE making plays..."
..and our D has been galactically, historically bad under Geoff.... (yes, I know Paul's Ds didn't stop anyone either.. ) But Geoff came advertised as a defense guy...hoping 3rd and 12 is not a "short-yardage down" for our opponents this year
All GT 9+ win teams had good defenses....

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I didn't like what Braine had to say but its more than understandable given his situation. The Institute treated the GTAA with distain (limited funding, no joint fundraising, limited academic exceptions)
From what I understand GOL really rankled the faculty and administration regarding academic exceptions.
Clough hired Braine because of their time together at VT (and their wives' time together at VT). It is true that Clough was not a friend of the GTAA. He did a lot for Tech academically, but he was no friend of the GTAA. However, since Braine was Clough's guy, was Braine a co-conspirator?

Braine was horrible. Homer left the GTAA in great financial shape. Braine spent the money and didn't do fund raising, which is job 1 for an AD. Defending Braine on any level is absurd.

O'Leary could rankle people alright, but he was very strict about his players attending class and performing academically. People blame O'Leary for flunkgate, but they are confused. It happened under Gailey, who didn't understand GT academics and treated them like NFL players who only needed to show up for practice. Since they were O'Leary recruits, which is the way the NCAA looks at things, O'Leary's reputation took the hit, but flunkgate would not have happened under O'Leary.

I give some credit to Gailey though. He learned and improved at managing a BCS program, and he became a good at recruiting--if only he had put aside his ego and hired a good OC. Then we fired him to hire another mediocre coach--at twice the money. Mistake after mistake by the GT adminstration (not just the AA) from Braine to Bigfoot.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Or what? You going to fire him. Not going to happen. He "needs" to build this program, which he's doing. The fans "need" to support the program and shut up with all the complaining and demanding.

Anybody that looks at last year as anything but abnormal is an idiot. We did not play a single out-of-conference game. Last year's team possibly wins 5 games with our original schedule, but who knows because there was no continuity within the season with all the Covid crap. Everyone had to deal with it, but some had an easier time handling it than others. We had games postponed, games canceled, etc.

So, no, I don't count last year as anything other than we fans had a chance to watch some college football and our players got live snaps. Anything else beyond that doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned, we've had 1 3-win season at the start of a major rebuild (to a type of program), and a covid year (which I don't care about). You people "demanding" better years or "needing to see" vast improvement crack me up. I feel very confident essentially everyone on this forum has an infinitesimally greater than zero impact on the machinations of our AA. Stop bitching and support the program.
Or...fans will not attend games and Bobby Dodd Stadium will look like Wallace Wade when Duke plays Western Carolina. Building the program includes winning games against competition like Pitt, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Boston College. Fans have every right to express their opinion on this forum whether in support or not.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The harshness of my reply was not necessarily directed at you. I'm just frustrated with fans who have unrealistic expectations. Yes, I think anyone who bitches about 2 consecutive 3 win seasons the past two years has unreasonable expectations.
Have you given your expectations for 2021 yet? Im just curious what is reasonable in the upcoming season so I don't make the mistake of getting mad if we win 4 games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I who hope Tech does they are the ones who buy tickets and give money,
Those that buy tickets and give money aren't going to stop giving and going in the first 5 years of Collins's tenure. I'm not worried about the people who are going to *****. They'll come back when he starts winning and everything will be peaches and creme.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Or...fans will not attend games and Bobby Dodd Stadium will look like Wallace Wade when Duke plays Western Carolina. Building the program includes winning games against competition like Pitt, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Boston College. Fans have every right to express their opinion on this forum whether in support or not.
yeah, that's not going to happen any time soon. The number of years it would take for that to happen would see CGC's contract done and he'd be gone. Don't see that happening anyway. He'll either win or he won't. Some fans will always complain and the coaches will always ignore them. There's no pleasing everyone (unless you're bacon).

As I said, if he continues to bring in stronger classes, we'll see success. It's going to take time (yes, more time than Year 3 (especially after Year 2 being Covid-19), and I'm tired of listening to the chest thumpers who think they "need" to see 6 wins or "he's done." These people need to shut up and support the program.

Clough hired Braine because of their time together at VT (and their wives' time together at VT). It is true that Clough was not a friend of the GTAA. He did a lot for Tech academically, but he was no friend of the GTAA. However, since Braine was Clough's guy, was Braine a co-conspirator?

Braine was horrible. Homer left the GTAA in great financial shape. Braine spent the money and didn't do fund raising, which is job 1 for an AD. Defending Braine on any level is absurd.

O'Leary could rankle people alright, but he was very strict about his players attending class and performing academically. People blame O'Leary for flunkgate, but they are confused. It happened under Gailey, who didn't understand GT academics and treated them like NFL players who only needed to show up for practice. Since they were O'Leary recruits, which is the way the NCAA looks at things, O'Leary's reputation took the hit, but flunkgate would not have happened under O'Leary.

I give some credit to Gailey though. He learned and improved at managing a BCS program, and he became a good at recruiting--if only he had put aside his ego and hired a good OC. Then we fired him to hire another mediocre coach--at twice the money. Mistake after mistake by the GT adminstration (not just the AA) from Braine to Bigfoot.
Um...mediocre coach. CPJ took us places no coach had since Dodd. I guess Dodd was mediocre as well.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I just want to see the Oregon mid-2000’s momentum copied to GT. Technology, facilities, uniforms turned into recruiting.

Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly.. around that transition is when recruiting really picked up for them into top 15.

Bellotti had some success but it wasnt terribly different than GT over the years hit or miss.

Collins has the right things going in his direction for that type of boost (the Oregon boost) but the on field scheme/coaching is TBD.
If the 2022 class has 6+ four stars then watch out.. top 15
We need our own Nike. A lot of Oregon's resurgence was fueled by Nike $$$

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Those that buy tickets and give money aren't going to stop giving and going in the first 5 years of Collins's tenure. I'm not worried about the people who are going to *****. They'll come back when he starts winning and everything will be peaches and creme.
I would not count on that I have had ticket since 1981 the people around me have had their tickets as long as me and 2 of them stopped this year 3 others have said of this year is the same they would stop. As for me I will still get them but I still would like to see more wins and less dancing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would not count on that I have had ticket since 1981 the people around me have had their tickets as long as me and 2 of them stopped this year 3 others have said of this year is the same they would stop. As for me I will still get them but I still would like to see more wins and less dancing.
And if two years after they stopped getting tickets the team started winning (as I said), they'd be right back buying tickets. My suspicion is that there's a bigger reason than just W/L why they're talking about dropping. Bad W/L record is often just an excuse or the final straw. When this team starts winning again, I anticipate it will attract a lot more sidewalk fans than previously. If they're not successful on the field in Years 5 and 6, then it won't matter because CGC will be gone at the end of his contract.

And if two years after they stopped getting tickets the team started winning (as I said), they'd be right back buying tickets. My suspicion is that there's a bigger reason than just W/L why they're talking about dropping. Bad W/L record is often just an excuse or the final straw. When this team starts winning again, I anticipate it will attract a lot more sidewalk fans than previously. If they're not successful on the field in Years 5 and 6, then it won't matter because CGC will be gone at the end of his contract.
I am not sure we will ever get that many side walk fans. Even after 1990 ticket sales did not greatly expand. Being a Tech fan is something different. Also as the Tech game day experience continues to change, in a bad way, less folks will be going. I am referring to loss of parking and tailgaiting areas. Most don't like riding the MARTA train to games. And if we continue to have games at MBS, that will hurt as well. Our UNC game this year is a home game for UNC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
not sure how old you are and it's not my business but even after 1990 we didn't pick up any sidewalk fans. I have no reason why but Tech has always had trouble picking up sidewalk fans ( at least ones that would buy season tickets and give money) Not sure how many season tickets we have sold this year but I'm afraid after last year ( covid ) that some fans may have found out that watching on TV is easier than going to the games.