Expectations for the 2021 season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know for me, I want to see the 8-9 wins become the norm not the exception. If the CGC experiment of hiring a recruiter as a head coach works out, then maybe it will be possible. If not, we will be looking for a new coach after next season.
Nope. There is ZERO chance we're looking for a coach after next season unless someone poaches CGC, which I find also has almost a zero chance of happening.

Scubapro

Banned
I know, but if we have 4 consecutive 3-4 win seasons, I fully expect some of the big boosters to say "enough is enough" and buy out his contract...
I am not sure about that...even if we have a 3-4 win season, which is likely, Collins will be still be our coach.
His seat will be hot for sure and will most likely have to replace key members of his staff.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure about that...even if we have a 3-4 win season, which is likely, Collins will be still be our coach.
His seat will be hot for sure and will most likely have to replace key members of his staff.
correct this is the first step before you replace a head coach. second step is a vote of confidence and 3th step is the AD making calls to raise money to start a new search.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
It would take 5 years. After year 5, if there isn't winning product on the field, he's probably gone. The buyout is humongous.
It's possible. But whenever I think about money, I have to remember that everything is relative. What is humongous to me may be pocket change for someone else...

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
My business professor told a funny story which this reminds me of.

A new CEO is hired at a company and when he arrives he finds 3 letters on his desk with instructions to open one letter each time there is a major problem.
After the first problem, the CEO opens the first letter and it says "Blame the previous CEO."
After the second problem, the CEO opens the second letter and it says "Re-organize the company."
After the third problem, the CEO opens the third letter and it says "Write 3 letters." :)

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2022 we drop ND but add FSU, Ole Miss, and UCF to the schedule. If we win 10 games that would be an incredible season.
I stand by what I said (however I hadn't actually checked the schedule when I said that). I'm not convinced UCF will stay on top of the G5 world after this coaching change and I'm not sure FSU will pull things around by then, at least not back to the 11-12 win expectation level. Ole Miss should be tough though. I don't buy into the UNC hype long term, not sure realistically how many years Mac Brown can keep it up. Some put uga up on this pedestal but it's a rivalry game and with a solid, more experienced Tech team, anything can happen, we could grab a win there in 2022. I think in 2022 a 9 win season is doable.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It would take 5 years. After year 5, if there isn't winning product on the field, he's probably gone. The buyout is humongous.
Yep. Even if you look at the contract details it screams 5 years. The remaining buyout drops to 2.4 mill a year after year 5. Basically if we fire him after year 4 we owe 10.5 million. If we fire him after year 5 we owe 4.8 million. He isn't going anywhere until after year 5.

Jmonty71

Banned
So can you specify which 6-7 games you expect to win, and spell out exactly why we should not only win those games, but throw the coach out if we lose? We might well win 6-7 games this season. If we do, however, it will most likely be because our younger players developed much faster than normal. I'm hoping for a bowl next year, but I don't have any lofty expectations until 2022.
I think the first 2 are wins. Duke, Pitt, UVA, BC and VT are winnable games. I think we will pull an upset over Miami, but lose to either BC or VT... I don't think 6 wins is over reaching. No, I don't think we have a chance against Clemson, UGA or Notre Dame. But the rest of the season, we should be more than capable of winning or at least competing. UNC depends on which UNC team, we see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So can you specify which 6-7 games you expect to win, and spell out exactly why we should not only win those games, but throw the coach out if we lose? We might well win 6-7 games this season. If we do, however, it will most likely be because our younger players developed much faster than normal. I'm hoping for a bowl next year, but I don't have any lofty expectations until 2022.
That is easy for me. I think we will win 4 games. The first two against Northern Illinois and Kennesaw, Duke and a shocker to be named later, maybe Miami or Pitt or UNC.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He is not going anywhere. The last thing TStan needs is to be paying a coach to not coach. The buyout would be huge. We are stuck with him for good or bad. I pray that we will get better starting this year and move forward. Who knows? Maybe he will be another Paul Johnson and retire at Tech.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Point taken. No more Red hordes to anybody's north, south, east, or west in my football vocabulary.

We have a red-colored fanbase to the east and yours is red-and-black. Much more appealing labeling actually...Thanks.

Our spring game is this weekend. Perusing what you guys saw for the Jackets pretty much confirms the thinking before...better looking athletes across a lot of positions but will they be prepared to achieve...?

That is the question for every team...some better positioned than most.

Before then Gopher fans are watching where Bateman goes? That's where we are...getting football fan esteem bumps from a possible first round NFL pick...rarefied air for us...He is VERY good though...
Does Minnesota have a rivalry game besides Wisconsin? That is almost as bad as Tech vs. UGA or Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee. Not quite as daunting mind you but Wisconsin has been very good for some time now.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
My business professor told a funny story which this reminds me of.

A new CEO is hired at a company and when he arrives he finds 3 letters on his desk with instructions to open one letter each time there is a major problem.
After the first problem, the CEO opens the first letter and it says "Blame the previous CEO."
After the second problem, the CEO opens the second letter and it says "Re-organize the company."
After the third problem, the CEO opens the third letter and it says "Write 3 letters." :)
Funny enough, CPJ told that same story just applied to college coaching with much more colorful language.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Nope. There is ZERO chance we're looking for a coach after next season unless someone poaches CGC, which I find also has almost a zero chance of happening.
Let's assume Collins goes 8-4 with a bowl win. He still has an overall losing record. No AD wants to sell that.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Oh I agree with that wholeheartedly. 8-4 definitely earns him more time. I was talking about 2 more consecutive 3-4 win seasons...

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Does Minnesota have a rivalry game besides Wisconsin? That is almost as bad as Tech vs. UGA or Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee. Not quite as daunting mind you but Wisconsin has been very good for some time now.
Yes...also with Iowa and Michigan...but as the Badgers say...is it really a rivalry when they win most of the time? The answer is yes but mostly losing takes out some of the intensity.

Much like Tech, the glory days for Minnesota were in the early to mid 20th Century. In those days Minnesota dominated both Iowa and Wisconsin, and played Michigan tough each time.

BTW, these historic rivalries have these three trophies. Our Holy Grail is for all 3 to be in the Trophy Case at the same time. Last that happened was 1967...

1619647333952.png
Floyd of Rosdale
1619647389850.png
1619647428071.png
The Little Brown Jug
1619648079338.png
Paul Bunyan's Axe

So yes, we have some pretty good rivalries...it's just the Gophers need to do their part. BTW...that's Coach Fleck with wife Heather when we won the axe back in 2018.

As for who is hated more...that varies from fan to fan...the students however have a cheer "Who hates Iowa?" that's a historic clue. Billd.