Expectations for the 2021 season

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Geoff is the Great Experiment. He’s to prove that Tech can compete and be aTop 25 program on a consistent basis and not be relegated to service academy status.

I have no idea how we will do this year. The portal is our lifeline.
I am rooting for CGC. But I don't consider him to be the ultimate Great Experiment by any stretch of the imagination. He doesn't have the chops to be considered as such.

IMO, the ultimate Great Experiment is for our version of T. Boone Pickens to hire Nick Saban to come here. Or Urban. Then you have a guy with multiple natty's. At 2 schools.

Let him coach here for 6 years. Then we will know for sure what we have.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
7 or 8 wins is not reflective of a top 25 team, so I don't know how you drew that conclusion.

I AM tired of spending my time and money to have a crap product on the field run by a hype beast excuse machine. Collins wasn't worth the salary we gave him in 2018 and he isn't worth that salary today either.
We have 5 teams on our schedule who ranked in the top 25 at the end of last season, so if we win 7 games, it means we either beat every team except those ranked teams or we beat at least one of those ranked teams. As for Collins not being worth the salary, care to enlighten us on who we should have hired instead? Ken Whisenhunt?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We feel the same about 'bout beating Mrs. Sheboygan's Badgers.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm optimistic for you guys in year 3. There's obviously a lot of passion still here for the Wramblin Wreck that is great to see.

Hoping the Spring Game goes well and gives the opportunity for the new guys to show some stuff. That usually doesn't happen in these things but maybe Coach Collins will open it up a little bit.

Finally, I see the concerns around coaching are out in the open, or at least not very deep. Mental preparedness is on the coaches but on the athletes to lead and execute. Whether it's Northern Illinois (who have had some good teams over the years), up and coming Kennesaw (which being from Marietta is hard for me to imagine), or Duke or Clemson...learning to keep the foot on the gas no matter who the opponent is...and not letting up...is the last piece to come together. My Gophers are almost there. Here's to Tech getting there too.

See you in the Fall.:buzz: Billd.
Mrs. Sheboygan says we look forward to extending our win streak to 3 on Nov. 27, 2021. Gooooo Baaadgers !!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Quite honestly, we have one player that anyone outside of GT circles would even acknowledge as legit and that’s Gibbs
This is false. Cochran and White are legit NFL prospects.

I guarantee you teams would consider Domineck legit after how he played last year. I’ll add McGowan, Mason, Eley, Swiling, and Sims as guys who have played meaningful snaps and people would consider legit.

My guess is you could throw in Williams, Carter, Walton, and Riq are on peoples radar too.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It would be hard to be satisfied with less than a bowl season. However, if we don’t get blown out at half time by average competition, we could win 3 and be a lot better than we’ve been the past 2 years.
The natives will not accept that kind of reasoning in year 3, reasonable and well thought through, though it may be. Another 3 win season would have the media breathing down TStan and Collins' necks'.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
To elaborate further : My expectations for this year are that we will play EVERY game as if we are well prepared !
1) Knowing 99% of the time where to line up in the scheme or play called.
2) We will know the snap count on offense and be focused on that to reduce penalties.
3) We will be as well prepared for back to back games as well as the one's after a bye- or at least reasonably close.
4) We will have better clock management.
5) We will execute plays , such as fielding punts and kickoffs as if we understand the rules and our postion on the field.
6) We can block to placekick the ball past the line of scrimmage 99% of the time.
7) We can play our postions on defense with better eye discipline
8) We are better at playing smart and under control to reduce the number of "over aggressive" penalties
9) We seem as if we have planned something for contingencies if our opponent surprises us with wrinkles on offense or defense.
10) We will act like good plays and wins are expected , not surprises that we should celebrate like they seldom occur.

If we can show noticeable/measurable improvement in the things I listed ( notice at this point I didn't mention more 4/5 star players) I think we can go to a bowl this year with at least 6 wins.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To elaborate further : My expectations for this year are that we will play EVERY game as if we are well prepared !
1) Knowing 99% of the time where to line up in the scheme or play called.
2) We will know the snap count on offense and be focused on that to reduce penalties.
3) We will be as well prepared for back to back games as well as the one's after a bye- or at least reasonably close.
4) We will have better clock management.
5) We will execute plays , such as fielding punts and kickoffs as if we understand the rules and our postion on the field.
6) We can block to placekick the ball past the line of scrimmage 99% of the time.
7) We can play our postions on defense with better eye discipline
8) We are better at playing smart and under control to reduce the number of "over aggressive" penalties
9) We seem as if we have planned something for contingencies if our opponent surprises us with wrinkles on offense or defense.
10) We will act like good plays and wins are expected , not surprises that we should celebrate like they seldom occur.

If we can show noticeable/measurable improvement in the things I listed ( notice at this point I didn't mention more 4/5 star players) I think we can go to a bowl this year with at least 6 wins.
#10 is important only to old people. Count on being disappointed. This will have no effect on whether we're successful or not successful on the field.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Our "last outing against a CPJ offense" was a disaster, but not because of the opponent's offense.

Good news: At least one, if not two, El Cid touchdown drives were stopped on 3rd down and turned into scoring drives because of our foolishness/penalties after the play. We also jumped offsides and extended drives that otherwise wouldn't have persisted. It was our anomaly penalty game that year, among other self-inflicted wounds (e.g., time mgmt), that had nothing to do with the opponent's offense. If we simply controlled the easy things that had nothing to do with the opponent nor their offense, we win despite still not looking great on either side of the ball.

Bad news: KSU is likely going to be better than El Cid.

Either way, we need to and should win the game.
Given our performances last season, it doesn’t appear we have fixed those issues.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is false. Cochran and White are legit NFL prospects.

I guarantee you teams would consider Domineck legit after how he played last year. I’ll add McGowan, Mason, Eley, Swiling, and Sims as guys who have played meaningful snaps and people would consider legit.

My guess is you could throw in Williams, Carter, Walton, and Riq are on peoples radar too.
I love your homerism, but come on. We have some guys who may turn into NFL prospects but no one is looking at GT because we’ve been a dumpster fire for 3-4 years. Last year we had 2 games where the nation was watching and Clemson and Notre Dame pushed us around like we were practice dummies. Cochran and White will either turn into prospects over the next 8 months or not. Outside of Gibbs the two with the NFL upsides would be Smith and Walton. The rest have shown very little while at GT. I think the transfers are definite upgrades especially Eley but that doesn’t make him an NFL prospect.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO, 2021 is difficult to predict because we just don't really know how ready our team is to make the jump to the next level. Similar to the Braves a couple years ago, who were expected to still struggle, we could make an early jump this year and end up winning 6+ games. We could also make great improvements, look like a coherent football team, and only end up with 4-5 wins. My gut says we have one more year in the wilderness before we make that leap, but nothing is preventing us from making it this year either. Looking at the schedule, this is what I see:

NIU: Win
KSU, JR: Win
Clemson: Loss
UNC: Loss
Pitt: Toss-up
Duke: Win
UVA: Toss-up
VPISU: Loss
Miami: Loss
Boston college: Toss-up
Notre Dame: Loss
uga: Loss

Basically, we need to sweep the toss-ups and/or beat VT/Miami to get to a bowl. Both of those teams are beatable. Either way, I am willing to give CGC one last transition year before we need to put him on the hot seat. As long as we look better this year, I will be satisfied that we are moving in the right direction. My prediction is we go 5-7 this year.

Caveat, if we lose to NIU and/or KSU, then the wheels might just come off this bus early. I really don't see that happening, though.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
The natives will not accept that kind of reasoning in year 3, reasonable and well thought through, though it may be. Another 3 win season would have the media breathing down TStan and Collins' necks'.
100% agree. If we can’t do better in year 3 there will be some valid reasons to believe this isn’t working, and we are the local media’s favorite punching bag anyway. I’m just saying 3 wins sucks, but we’ve been a bad 3 win team when you consider how many losses weren’t even competitive games.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I love your homerism, but come on. We have some guys who may turn into NFL prospects but no one is looking at GT because we’ve been a dumpster fire for 3-4 years. Last year we had 2 games where the nation was watching and Clemson and Notre Dame pushed us around like we were practice dummies. Cochran and White will either turn into prospects over the next 8 months or not. Outside of Gibbs the two with the NFL upsides would be Smith and Walton. The rest have shown very little while at GT. I think the transfers are definite upgrades especially Eley but that doesn’t make him an NFL prospect.
It’s not homerism. Maybe a misunderstanding of what you meant by “anyone outside GT circles would acknowledge as legit.”

If you meant other teams fans, the media, or maybe even NFL scouts I might agree with you. Probably not on that last part, but that’s fine.

My comment was coming from the perspective of opposing teams coaches and your use of the word legit. If you’re telling me you don’t think teams around the ACC would consider the players I listed as “legit” then I would continue to say you’re wrong.

You can obviously have that opinion, but I vehemently disagree and would imagine most ACC coaches would disagree as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
My expectation/hopes for 2021-

show some serious improvement on Defense

get more consistent in the passing game which obviously goes along with better OL play

fewer dumb, emotional penalties

Special teams improvements- be able to make field goals and quit making boneheaded decisions on returns.

More wins would be excellent and i fully more than 3. 6 wins and a bowl game would show me that we are making vast improvements, if we don’t get significantly better this season then imo it is time to take a hard look at upgrading one or both coordinators

100% agree. If we can’t do better in year 3 there will be some valid reasons to believe this isn’t working, and we are the local media’s favorite punching bag anyway. I’m just saying 3 wins sucks, but we’ve been a bad 3 win team when you consider how many losses weren’t even competitive games.
It is funny that some of you say the local media will get on us if we only win 3 ...clue here....the local media does not care. It is what that team in Athens does since 90% of the local sports media went to that school. As long as we stay a non threat to UGA, they are happy. Part of the reason they didn't like CPJ. He was a threat.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I found out in 1981 if you really get drunk ( you know totally sh+t faced ) you won't care if we win or lose . ( Hint always go to the game with someone that don't drink so they can drive , it's also a good idea that it's someone other than you wife or bring some good ear plugs )

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It is funny that some of you say the local media will get on us if we only win 3 ...clue here....the local media does not care. It is what that team in Athens does since 90% of the local sports media went to that school. As long as we stay a non threat to UGA, they are happy. Part of the reason they didn't like CPJ. He was a threat.
sad but very true .

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
There’s truth to that, but “GT sucks” is an easy narrative for our local B-level radio personalities to fall back on when it’s a slow news day and they already talked about how this year will be different when uga plays Alabama.