Expectations for the 2021 season

Scubapro

Banned
You're 100% correct that the first two games could set the tone for the season. After that we're staring down two likely losses unless we can keep pace offensively with UNC, which I don't think is likely. The next 4 are all winnable (Pitt, Duke, UVA, VT). Miami will have a freshmen qb but has talent all over the field. If we go into that one 6-2 we could pull the win. BC is winnable. The final two games (ND and UGA) are losses unless we make huge strides during the year.

Overall, I think 6 wins and a bowl are achievable. 8-4 would be a springboard to relevancy.

We need to see improved coaching across the board. Choice and his group are the only exception to that.
I could agree with this but you are much more optimistic on that four game stretch...winnable yes....I see us having talent equal to those guys...but we aren't as well coached (at least as what they have shown so far)
NIU: Win
KState: Win
Clemson: Loss
UNC: Loss
Pitt: Loss
Duke: Win
Virginia: Toss Up
VippySu: Loss
Miami: Loss
Boston college: Toss Up
Notre Dame: Loss
Mutts: Loss

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, I have no idea what we will do. I think that if we do not get to a bowl this year then questions need to be asked. The first two games will tell me. Don't down play NIU as they are not that many seasons from an Orange bowl and except last year were bowl regulars. Then KSU. This will be harder than many think as our last outing against a CPJ offense was a disaster.

If we take care of business and win by 14 plus in both games, then I will think we maybe can win 4 more.
If we squeak by then maybe only 2 more.
Lose one of these games and we may be looking at a 1 win season and goodbye coaching staff.

The schedule is very hard this year with two guaranteed losses.
I hate to be the one to break it to you because I know how bad you want this staff gone, but they will be here in 2022 as well.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a bold prediction that I hope comes true. Duke was very bad last year and we struggled against teams with any semblance of a defense.
We were also a team that had no spring and summer while starting 3 true freshmen on offense. We missed out on a ton of offseason physical reps for the team. We were basically forced to do a lot of learning and chemistry building during the season. Now we have upgraded talent on the oline, a more experienced qb, more talent at the wr position, and a proven kicker. Add in a full spring and summer and we definitely should be much better on offense. We still need to prove it but the pieces are in place to be more successful.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We were also a team that had no spring and summer while starting 3 true freshmen on offense. We missed out on a ton of offseason physical reps for the team. We were basically forced to do a lot of learning and chemistry building during the season.

Didn't most/all of our opponents also have little to no spring/summer as well? I agree that we were hamstrung by COVID last year, and starting 2-3 true freshman most games isn't ideal, but we weren't unique in these areas.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My predictions for the season:

NIU W
KSU W (but probably a closer game than we’d like)
Climpsun L
UNC Probable L
Pitt Tossup
Dook W
UVA Tossup
VPISU Tossup
miami Probable L
Boston College Tossup
Notre Dame L
u[sic]ga L

I expect us to win all the games I’ve marked with a W and about half of the tossup games. That should give us 5 wins. If we win fewer than 5 games, Collins needs some concrete answers about what will be different going forward. If we win 3 or fewer games, Collins needs a damn good answer to why Tech shouldn’t start looking for his replacement. If we win 5-7 games, Collins has earned some patience. If we win 8 or 9 games, Todd needs to look at what he needs to do to retain the staff. 10 or more wins, and we need to start looking for Collins’ successor because someone will probably poach him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Didn't most/all of our opponents also have little to no spring/summer as well? I agree that we were hamstrung by COVID last year, and starting 2-3 true freshman most games isn't ideal, but we weren't unique in these areas.
But our circumstances were different. We are still in transition, although much further along now. I expect that our growth from last year to this year will be much greater than most other schools' growth from last year to this year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I have no idea what we will do. I think that if we do not get to a bowl this year then questions need to be asked. The first two games will tell me. Don't down play NIU as they are not that many seasons from an Orange bowl and except last year were bowl regulars. Then KSU. This will be harder than many think as our last outing against a CPJ offense was a disaster.

If we take care of business and win by 14 plus in both games, then I will think we maybe can win 4 more.
If we squeak by then maybe only 2 more.
Lose one of these games and we may be looking at a 1 win season and goodbye coaching staff.

The schedule is very hard this year with two guaranteed losses.
I expect the differential to be higher than that. I expect to pull away in the second half.

There is no such thing as a guaranteed loss. Get your mind right.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But our circumstances were different. We are still in transition, although much further along now. I expect that our growth from last year to this year will be much greater than most other schools' growth from last year to this year.

To a degree they were different. It's a major reason why I am arguing to give CGC at least 4 years before making a judgement. But we weren't the only team undergoing transitions last year, so again, we weren't unique in this.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO given our schedule:
6 wins should be the absolute minimum expectation.
7 wins should be the realistic expectation and should be considered an acceptable season (neither especially good nor especially bad).
8 wins will be a good season
9+ wins will be an outstanding season
This is where I stand as well with one exception: If we beat UGA, it's a successful season no matter what else happens.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Remember NCSt last year? We will struggle to score points again in 2021
Maybe so, I hope that there will be significant improvement. And I Truly believe the 2020 GT offense would have dropped 50+ on 2019 Citedal
Maybe so, I hope that there will be significant improvement, but i’m an optimist. And I Truly believe the 2020 GT offense would have dropped 50+ on 2019 The Citadel

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My predictions for the season:

NIU W
KSU W (but probably a closer game than we’d like)
Climpsun L
UNC Probable L
Pitt Tossup
Dook W
UVA Tossup
VPISU Tossup
miami Probable L
Boston College Tossup
Notre Dame L
u[sic]ga L

I expect us to win all the games I’ve marked with a W and about half of the tossup games. That should give us 5 wins. If we win fewer than 5 games, Collins needs some concrete answers about what will be different going forward. If we win 3 or fewer games, Collins needs a damn good answer to why Tech shouldn’t start looking for his replacement. If we win 5-7 games, Collins has earned some patience. If we win 8 or 9 games, Todd needs to look at what he needs to do to retain the staff. 10 or more wins, and we need to start looking for Collins’ successor because someone will probably poach him.
If we win 3 or fewer games, nothing Collins could say would stop the search for his replacement.

4-6 wins, he needs to think long and hard about explaining how he is going to get over the hump and return Tech to playing winning football (ya know, like we did for nearly every season since BL resigned) in 2022. His seat will be quite hot after 3 straight losing seasons.

7 or 8 wins earns him some patience.

9+ wins deserves a raise to make sure certain staff members are retained. Like with CPJ, half of them are mediocre at best and not deserving of any further financial compensation.

Collins would have to win an ACC or National Championship to be in the conversation to get poached, otherwise this season would be considered a flash in the pan until he proves he can do it consistently.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
"Expectations" is the key word in this thread. My initial thoughts were that I didn't have much to build expectations on. But, then as I thought about it, I realized that I have expectations none-the-less.

I expect us to win at least 5 games. I expect that we won't win more than 8, probably not more than 7.

I also expect us to have a better idea about the strength of our team and our coaching after this year.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
NIU: Win
Kennesaw State: Win
Clemson: Toss Up
UNC: Win
Pitt: Win
Duke: Win
Virginia: Win
VT: Win
Miami: Win
Boston Vollege: Win
Notre Dame: Toss Up
uga: Win
The thread title is expectations for the 2021 season. Call it unrealistic but I expect to win every game (I guess that's the fan in me talking). I have Clemson and ND a toss up only because it's tough for a team to be locked in or in the zone for a full season.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Now that MLB is going, with fans. Vaccines are getting out there. I looks like next season, has a good chance of happening, without any issues. Given, that everything goes well, what expectations do you have, for next year? I know we are far away from a national contender, but I think asking for a bowl appearance isn't too far fetched. I expect to see less turnovers committed by our young, talented QB. I expect to see better pass protection. I expect to see us deliver some punishing sacks on opposing QBs.

So, what are your expectations, for next season? Shoot for the moon or be realistic... Don't care... Let's talk some football....
Win more games than we have the last two seasons. I am holding to my first prediction on a similar thread of 4 wins.