Expectations for the 2021 season

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Dropping by to see how the rebuild is going?

Like for many programs 2020 totally derailed the Gophers off their banner year in 2019.

This is the 5th year under Coach Fleck and we hope to leave 2020 behind and pick up where left off in 2019. Of course we open with tOSU at home...similar to if Tech were opening with Clemson. Yikes.

This is Year 3 for the Jackets under Coach Collins. Getting an identity yet? Recruiting improved? Excited for Fall 2021? An inquiring Gopher mind...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Like for many programs 2020 totally derailed the Gophers off their banner year in 2019.

This is the 5th year under Coach Fleck and we hope to leave 2020 behind and pick up where left off in 2019. Of course we open with tOSU at home...similar to if Tech were opening with Clemson. Yikes.

This is Year 3 for the Jackets under Coach Collins. Getting an identity yet? Recruiting improved? Excited for Fall 2021? An inquiring Gopher mind...
In answer to the queries which are just IMHO: Nope, Sort of, Kind of. The "Portal" has been good to us. Go, Go, Gophers!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Much improved talent but possibly the toughest schedule I've seen in 42 years as a fan. I expect a slow start as a bunch of newcomers gel, but solid improvement as the year progresses--barring a rash of injuries.

I used to have a Minnesota maroon sweatshirt with gold letters--my BIL taught at UM-Crookston for awhile. You are making me wonder what happened to it.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Much improved talent but possibly the toughest schedule I've seen in 42 years as a fan. I expect a slow start as a bunch of newcomers gel, but solid improvement as the year progresses--barring a rash of injuries.

I used to have a Minnesota maroon sweatshirt with gold letters--my BIL taught at UM-Crookston for awhile. You are making me wonder what happened to it.
Glad to hear the improvement on talent...whether grabbing some of that Georgia and Southeast gold talent or the portal. That's been the slow but steady beat under Fleck, who is still getting some talent for us out of Georgia too (that started under the previous regime). Getting some hotshot QB (I think) out of the prep school (similar to IMG) up in Rabun Gap.

Can't do anything about injuries other than next man up. Covid-related quarantines mimicked the injury bug on steroids for us. ALL of our kicking personnel...and I mean ALL...were out for our first game in the truncated season last fall, and trickled back over the next few games. Pretty much relied on the waterboy and it was ugly.

As for the sweatshirt...like my stuff probably in a drawer some where. Although a couple of years ago I decided what good was fan gear sitting in a drawer or hanging in a closet. Pretty much wear it all now. In fact, I think most folks don't think I have anything else but maroon and gold attire, especially since working from home. Hope you go looking for it and find it. Also hope it fits...that would not be the case for me.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Glad to hear the improvement on talent...whether grabbing some of that Georgia and Southeast gold talent or the portal. That's been the slow but steady beat under Fleck, who is still getting some talent for us out of Georgia too (that started under the previous regime). Getting some hotshot QB (I think) out of the prep school (similar to IMG) up in Rabun Gap.

Can't do anything about injuries other than next man up. Covid-related quarantines mimicked the injury bug on steroids for us. ALL of our kicking personnel...and I mean ALL...were out for our first game in the truncated season last fall, and trickled back over the next few games. Pretty much relied on the waterboy and it was ugly.

As for the sweatshirt...like my stuff probably in a drawer some where. Although a couple of years ago I decided what good was fan gear sitting in a drawer or hanging in a closet. Pretty much wear it all now. In fact, I think most folks don't think I have anything else but maroon and gold attire, especially since working from home. Hope you go looking for it and find it. Also hope it fits...that would not be the case for me.
GO Badgers !!:p

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Year 3 was a big jump for us. Couldn't get past Sheboygan's Vadgers but he has bragging rights when winning like forever with an interspersed Gophers win.

Maybe this can be a step up year for Tech. That would be my hope.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The truth is we are all just hoping for the best. The team is mostly transfers who we are hoping will pan out and young guys who we hope will progress. We certainly don't have an identity. Hopefully that comes into focus this year. There is only one position I would say I feel good about, which is RB. Every other position, its hard to say what we will have this year. Plenty of potential though.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Year 3 was a big jump for us. Couldn't get past Sheboygan's Vadgers but he has bragging rights when winning like forever with an interspersed Gophers win.

Maybe this can be a step up year for Tech. That would be my hope.
Yes, Christ is doing pretty well. Keeping Leonhard as DC is vital, IMO. Fleck has been VERY impressive in an amazingly short period of time. They will bounce back this year in a big way.
I am primarily a Jacket fan (grad), Mrs. Sheboygan is the Badger grad, so we also pull for them. Thanks for being a part of this forum, BilldGopher. We can comiserate about the winter weather wilth Milwaukee, ChicagoJacket and others.
Cold Weather Wow GIF by Outside TV

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer

Always good to see you, BilldGopher. Since the actual tangible evidence that addresses your question is not conclusive, answers from this Board are going to reflect a heavy amount of whatever attitude prevails with whoever answers.

My take is that the staff appears to be pulling out all the stops to make a statement this year. Seems to me, we have addressed (via the portal) the positions of concern so I expect to have a serviceable (at a minimum) two deep on both sides of the ball.

Assuming that is true (no "significant" personnel deficiencies), then the focus shifts from the roster to the staff. I think the staff is now aware that roster issues are no longer an acceptable excuse for not getting it done in the win column.

I think there is a consensus that our roster has improved by leaps and bounds. However, there is considerable debate among the fan base on the staff's ability to convert the roster improvement to more wins and fewer losses. I am of the opinion that coaches get too much blame for losses and too much credit for wins so put me down for "its 80% about the roster and 20% about the coaching". So if you take that literally, then I think we are going to stomp some people this year that aren't expecting it on talent alone. Coaching will get you that extra 2-3 wins that separates good teams from great teams. We shall see but I at least think we will finish this year > 500.

Good luck to your Gophers - make some damn noise in that wide-open conference of yours.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Burdell for the update.

Our big fan debate early on was whether the "cupboard was really bare" from the previous regime, which got entangled in the "need for a new culture" statements from the new regime. Actually was pretty bitter, which really showed up in the 2019 season (the starters were still mainly from the previous staff) and last year when it really was the Fleck recruits mostly seeing the field (with the big drop off).

With the portal transfers Tech may be shortening that cycle by a season (or maybe 2) which is fantastic if it translates performance wise on the field.

Point is right on though that talent without coaching only goes so far. Coach Fleck had to fire his original D-coordinator with the new guy who fielded the Gopher D in our bowl game together.

Probably too early for changes but that will certainly be in play at the end of this season for Tech if there's a disconnect that is clearly coaching.

On making some noise, yep...that's the plan...of course every season. Can only go up from last year. Not good.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I recall Ross' first 2 years here. I know first hand that there were players who ... how can I say this diplomatically.. " did not support" Coach Ross and his staff.

But by year 3, the true Deadwood was gone and the rest had gotten on board and that's when the magic happens.

Our staff isn't as good as Ross' staff but they don't need to be to win 7 games this year. They just need to not shoot their own foot.

Interesting that you mention Fleck making some staff tweaks. I think we will find ourselves in the same spot this time next year.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes on staff changes "early on." Had to fire the D coordinator...who had followed Fleck from day 1 in his career...half-way through the season. The schemes were so complex that no one on D knew what to do, even kids who the prior years were pretty darn good. The Assistant Coordinator got the job and is still there. Some grumbling last year for sure...folks will be watching closely for any sustained regression from 2019.

That to me is the hardest thing for the HC to manage. Loyalty to staff against sub-par performance on the field. As you note if the talent is better, then there should be demonstrable improvement over the course of the season. Growing pains are fine but eventually you've got to grow up.

For us the coaching hot seat will be special teams. I love my Gophers but we suck.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That to me is the hardest thing for the HC to manage. Loyalty to staff against sub-par performance on the field. As you note if the talent is better, then there should be demonstrable improvement over the course of the season. Growing pains are fine but eventually you've got to grow up.

For us the coaching hot seat will be special teams. I love my Gophers but we suck.

What you say is in essence the very nature of any management job. It's what separates the managers (and coaches) who get to keep managing (or coaching) from those who do not. I don't imagine there's a heck of a lot of difference between any of them (coaches) when it comes to knowing the theory (X's and O's). But can you hire guys who can recruit and then teach that to 18-21 year olds? And can you move on from the ones who can't.

It's easy in theory and on paper. But not so much in the trenches.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Freshmen seeing the field is not bad if they beat everyone else for the playing time. The best should be on the field...period.

One of our Georgia gold nuggets was Rashod Bateman from Tifton. Decided to go to Minnesota over the Dawgs. Possibly a first round WR in a few weeks.

Saw the field from Day 1. Glad to have had him.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I totally overestimated last year but seriously, looking at the schedule 7-8 wins isn’t a stretch. We start out with what should be 2, we probably lose to Clemson and NC but then we should beat Duke & Virginia. I think we can beat Pitt and we have a shot at VT, Miami ( because they are who they are) and BC. We lose to ND & UGA.

am I really drinking the juice or is this realistic ?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I totally overestimated last year but seriously, looking at the schedule 7-8 wins isn’t a stretch. We start out with what should be 2, we probably lose to Clemson and NC but then we should beat Duke & Virginia. I think we can beat Pitt and we have a shot at VT, Miami ( because they are who they are) and BC. We lose to ND & UGA.

am I really drinking the juice or is this realistic ?
There’s always room for Koolaid!