Expectations for the 2014 team?

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pretty excited about this season. We have some young guys that will be playing a lot at the guard spots, but they all seem to be very talented. I think I read a quote by Gregory saying he wants the team to play more uptempo this year, which should be fun to watch and should be possible with the wing/guard depth. I'm a little bit worried about our frontcourt depth behind Miller, Carter & Holsey, but all three of those guys are good players and I'm expecting big things out of Carter this year. I think he has the potential to be a 1st or 2nd team All-ACC. I'm hoping Morris can stay healthy all season, b/c I feel like we missed a lot last year without having him on the court. He is one of our better shooters from outside and he's just fun to watch with his athleticism.

All of that being said, the conference schedule and non-conference schedule both seem tougher this year. I could see the team struggling early on, but I hope the experience that the young guards gain will help us close the 2nd half strong. I think an at-large birth in the NCAA tournament (7-10 seed) and a finish in the top half of the ACC is not out of the question. I think it's a strong possibility if Trae Golden gets cleared (and has learned how to play defense since his UT days...).

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not so sure on the expectations of Golden for this year. It is difficult for transfers to contribute immensely during the first year. Transfers are almost like Freshman in that there is so much to absorb during the changes of both basketball program and school academic environment. In any event the depth of the team is impressive and one that GT has not seen in a while. I think NIT is within reach but NCAA tourney is asking a lot. But hey I usually ask a lot in any event

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
Totally agree Eric. I think some of the mental part of the game that sometimes they exhibited as typical freshman they will not suffer as much from now like forcing the play instead of letting the game come to them. Running the system with a year more experience. I like there intelligence and talent a whole lot. One thing is for sure the program is definitely heading in the right direction and that is really awesome. The mitigating factor for me is that the conference has gotten a bunch tougher with Cuse, Pitt and ND. We were 1 game over 500 last year and I expect that with a more experienced team that translates into more wins and less losses. How much .... ????.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am not so sure on the expectations of Golden for this year. It is difficult for transfers to contribute immensely during the first year. Transfers are almost like Freshman in that there is so much to absorb during the changes of both basketball program and school academic environment. In any event the depth of the team is impressive and one that GT has not seen in a while. I think NIT is within reach but NCAA tourney is asking a lot. But hey I usually ask a lot in any event

Travis and Sol are basically both true freshmen with a lot of talent. I think the benefit of having Trae come in is not as much for being able to carry the team as provide a steady hand. He brings the emotional/psychological maturity that only comes with age and experience.

ToddM

Athlon Sports says we are # 11 in the conference and should get a NIT bid.

Daniel Miller defensive player of the year.

Wow, if we actually have the best defensive player and only are as good as # 11 the conference is a basketball behemoth

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's the only blurb on our super-secret scrimmage with UF:

Wish we had more on how the guards looked. I also read we have a scrimmage against Young Harris on Friday.

I'm actually pretty proud of myself for finally learning how to embed a tweet (no need to chime in with how easy it is).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
After game 1:
- Team looks fairly deep and talented especially when you consider that Morris was out.
- Really, really like what Jorg brings to the team. Not a finished product but will probably be a contributor right away.
- I wasn't completely on the Golden bandwagon (wasn't a fan of his at TN for some reason), but he clearly brings some needed qualities to the team. Leadership, confidence at the lead guard and actually *gasp* takes it to the hole.
- Glad Poole the Younger changed his number (#2 now). That #45 didn't suit him well and of course uniforms make all the difference. Seriously though, he looked more comfortable off the ball. Hope he can be the second coming of Will Bynum.
- I'd like to see more from MGH and BigBob (granted it was just one game).

VT and Miami both lost to directional schools. I'm hoping UM falls hard and fast. For some reason Larranaga (sp?) has had some recruiting success already. BC is 0-2 in their tune-ups (Providence and UMass).