Expectations for the 2014 team?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I have high hopes for the 2014 team and personally think we have a chance to be very good this year...any thoughts?

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect to see improvement. I expect to see MGH and Carter, Jr have solid years. I expect a winning record and a chance to go dancing. Honestly, I think that we have a good team without Golden...but if we have Golden for this year, then we can make some serious noise. A veteran guard makes a HUGE difference on this team.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would agree with SecretAgent that the key to this team is play at the PG position. And Golden being eligible to play will do wonders for this team.
For a young team this is a brutal schedule. They should be pretty good by mid February.

That said, I note a "big" change on the official roster on Ramblinwreck. Miller is listed at 275. Is that an item for concern or celebration? He has always ran the floor well for a really big man. If this is 20 lbs of muscle, he will not get moved around by the defense. If he can perfect the jump hook..............!

Like Eric I am optimistic about this team.

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe we will be in NIT and a chance at the tournament. Georges-Hunt and Carter JR will have breakout years and Poole will play fantastic! I have a great feeling about this season. We have great depth also!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I expected us to be an NIT/NCAA bubble team before we got Golden. If he can join the team right away and plays the role of veteran leader in the backcourt, then I expect us to be one of the better teams in the ACC.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
This is tough because we'll be better, but the schedule gets harder. I think we'll be around .500 in ACC play. Over .500 gets us into the NCAA tourney, under and we might be NIT bound

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Lots of great stuff in that article/press conference.

Interesting that he called Jorg (I'm taking some liberties with the nickname there) one of our best athletes and he shot over 90% from the stripe. Really looking forward to seeing him play. I can't help but worry about Golden's status the longer the process drags on.

I don't think most of us realized how hurt Poole the Younger was.
He's become a much different person and player. He's maturing. I just watched a little film with him upstairs. He's got a long way to go and he understands that. You've got to remember that he didn't start playing and working out until sometime in August. A week after the season ended he had shoulder surgery. And when it comes to shoulder surgery you cannot do anything. He didn't start shooting from the end of the season until August. So the most important thing is that we've got him healthy.

That said, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by the team overall this year. They're certainly shaping up to be a fun bunch to root for.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I thought this comment by Gregory on Stephsns was interesting: "He's also added about 12 pounds which was not easy to do."

The author of the piece wrote this: "Tech's frontcourt trio remains intact from last year, which Miller and Carter joined by senior Kammeon Holsey (6-8, 8.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg), perhaps the ACC's top sixth-man a year ago. Freshman Quinton Stephens (6-8) adds depth to that group."

First time I have seen Stephens included in the front court group. I had him set as a wing with maybe a few minutes at the 4 spot in an emergency.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought this comment by Gregory on Stephsns was interesting: "He's also added about 12 pounds which was not easy to do."

The author of the piece wrote this: "Tech's frontcourt trio remains intact from last year, which Miller and Carter joined by senior Kammeon Holsey (6-8, 8.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg), perhaps the ACC's top sixth-man a year ago. Freshman Quinton Stephens (6-8) adds depth to that group."

First time I have seen Stephens included in the front court group. I had him set as a wing with maybe a few minutes at the 4 spot in an emergency.

I was also encouraged by the part where he said Stephens had been guarding Holsey in the post (IIRC).

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I expect to see improvement. Tough out a few signature wins. I am unconcerned about making any postseason predictions going into a season that adds Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse to the conference. That actually makes it much harder to be a tourney team (how far down in the conference are they really going to select?). As long as he moves again in a positive direction than I will have fun watching the team grow and some postseason success will come eventually.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I expect to see improvement. Tough out a few signature wins. I am unconcerned about making any postseason predictions going into a season that adds Notre Dame, Pitt and Syracuse to the conference. That actually makes it much harder to be a tourney team (how far down in the conference are they really going to select?). As long as he moves again in a positive direction than I will have fun watching the team grow and some postseason success will come eventually.

The big east sent 11 in 2011 which is the record. If the ACC is as deep as we think it'll be I say we should expect 8 teams to make it easily with a few bubble teams maybe getting the benefit of the doubt because of SOS every year. 500 in ACC play and no bad losses outside of conference play should get you there. The 500 mark will be harder to reach this year but I think the harder SOS will help out in the selection process

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
So the teams in the ACC this year that were in the Tourney last year: Duke, UNC, Pitt, Notre Dame, NC State, Syracuse, Miami. That is a total of seven right there coming off tourney seasons, three in the Elite Eight. The winner Louisville will be added soon as well. Wow! What a tough basketball conference. I will stick with my tempered expectations for now. Want to see improvement of course, always need to keep building the program in the right direction.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Team had a scrimmage yesterday.

Stats per GT bball twitter...

Some numbers from today's @GTMBK scrimmage. Team shot 51.9% collectively, hit 8-of-26 3s, 17-of-29 FT (58.6%), 25 ast (on 55 FG) vs. 22 TO

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I hear my boy Travis Jorgenson has been tearing it up.

I am excited about Solo Poole, Corey Heyward, Trae Golden (hopefully) and Jorgenson at PG this year. Finally have some good depth at PG...I expect Solo to get some minutes at SG.

Really looking forward the leap MGH and Carter make this year!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I will highlight this note from the @GTMBK scrimage notes:
"Blue (Solo, G-Hunt, Jorgenson, Stephens, Miller) stomps Gold (Stacey, Bolden, Golden, Sampson, Holsey), 23-14, in Period 2."

That means Stephens at the 4 spot. Good show! Looks like Eric is correct, Jorgenson can and will play.