Expansion Talk 2021

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I question how many of the non AAU schools will even be around in 10-15 years from now, no one is even talking about that, I'm one that thinks it is maybe the most important of all this in the long run. Advanced education is in for drastic change IMO and college institutions are going to drop like flies.
I'm recalling this from memory so I could be off a little, but ACC has 5 AAU schools, SEC 5, PAC12 8?, BIG 13. If I were the ACC, BIG, PAC think the alliance is a good way to test and feel it all out and also let every member see just where they are in contributing or not contributing, believe this leads to a solution in long run, helps sort it out, just my opinion and I could be wrong, have been before. In the long run I just wonder if the Clemsons, Auburns of the world are even around as colleges and Universities, just wonder. I also wonder if GT being what and where it is had a lot to do CGC wanting to come here, he's a smart guy and is seeing that things could really change in Pro and College FB going forward. I'm not sure I would want to own an NFL, or Pro BB franchise at this point. Not saying they're going "bust", but the bloom is off IMO.
I am confused about your comments. You seem to be conflating some things, are you discussing academics or athletics? You start out by saying non AAU schools may not be around, but then finish with revenue from sports.

Do you really think that Auburn University is in danger of closing because they are not an AAU school? From a student enrollment standpoint, it is possible that fewer people will attend college in the future. However, a large land-grant research university is much more stable than smaller colleges and state universities. It is much, much more stable than for profit quasi-universities. There are only 64 AAU members. Even if you cut the number of college enrollees by half, the average enrollment would have to be over 150,000 for each AAU member to be the only universities open.

From a budget standpoint, athletics is not a factor in the academic side of universities. Auburn University has a budget of about $1.5 billion. Auburn athletics has revenue of about $150 million. Auburn athletics has expenses of about $140 million. Part of Auburn athletics revenue is $8 million that they get from student fees and from the university. Just as rough numbers, that means that Auburn athletics can provide about $2 million in revenue to the university overall. (I don't know if they do) $2 million out of a $1.5 billion budget is non-consequential. If athletics disappeared entirely, Auburn University would still be able to continue exactly as it has in the past.

If revenue from sports drops in the future and some programs have to shut down, membership in the AAU will have no impact on whether a particular sports program can continue or not. Texas is the top sports revenue school with $224 million in revenue, and they are an AAU member. Buffalo is an AAU member, but they only have $46 million in sports revenue. AAU membership has nothing to do with athletics financing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am confused about your comments. You seem to be conflating some things, are you discussing academics or athletics? You start out by saying non AAU schools may not be around, but then finish with revenue from sports.

Do you really think that Auburn University is in danger of closing because they are not an AAU school? From a student enrollment standpoint, it is possible that fewer people will attend college in the future. However, a large land-grant research university is much more stable than smaller colleges and state universities. It is much, much more stable than for profit quasi-universities. There are only 64 AAU members. Even if you cut the number of college enrollees by half, the average enrollment would have to be over 150,000 for each AAU member to be the only universities open.

From a budget standpoint, athletics is not a factor in the academic side of universities. Auburn University has a budget of about $1.5 billion. Auburn athletics has revenue of about $150 million. Auburn athletics has expenses of about $140 million. Part of Auburn athletics revenue is $8 million that they get from student fees and from the university. Just as rough numbers, that means that Auburn athletics can provide about $2 million in revenue to the university overall. (I don't know if they do) $2 million out of a $1.5 billion budget is non-consequential. If athletics disappeared entirely, Auburn University would still be able to continue exactly as it has in the past.

If revenue from sports drops in the future and some programs have to shut down, membership in the AAU will have no impact on whether a particular sports program can continue or not. Texas is the top sports revenue school with $224 million in revenue, and they are an AAU member. Buffalo is an AAU member, but they only have $46 million in sports revenue. AAU membership has nothing to do with athletics financing.
Auburn University is funded by property taxes. It is at zero risk.

As to athletics, they did well last year because expenses were extremely low.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The future of how we educate people is getting ready to change drastically IMO, until one of us is right or wrong probably do not need to have this discussion any further, I thought there might be a lot on here that see what is coming in the way we educate, some educators quietly understand, not sure how it all shakes out but have some general idea. There will be need for research institutions and that is why I believe the "BIG" has their AAU requirement for schools joining their conference(probably not the only reason) because they are better assured of being around for years to come, thus why I say many schools that now play CFB may not be around. GT being an AAU school, I would rather see us go to the "BIG" than any where else because of what I've just said, we may not have the choice, but if we do-----

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Following up on Stinger...If Tech comes to the B1G, then I'll be at Bobby Dodd for that 1st Tech-MN home game.

Also, might as well get some program bragging rights going in anticipation of the B1G event.

Minnesota has 7 National Titles going back to 1882. How fare thee Tech on Natties?

(BTW do not ask when our last one was...it's embarrassing...). Billd ;)

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I question how many of the non AAU schools will even be around in 10-15 years from now, no one is even talking about that, I'm one that thinks it is maybe the most important of all this in the long run. Advanced education is in for drastic change IMO and college institutions are going to drop like flies.
I'm recalling this from memory so I could be off a little, but ACC has 5 AAU schools, SEC 5, PAC12 8?, BIG 13. If I were the ACC, BIG, PAC think the alliance is a good way to test and feel it all out and also let every member see just where they are in contributing or not contributing, believe this leads to a solution in long run, helps sort it out, just my opinion and I could be wrong, have been before. In the long run I just wonder if the Clemsons, Auburns of the world are even around as colleges and Universities, just wonder. I also wonder if GT being what and where it is had a lot to do CGC wanting to come here, he's a smart guy and is seeing that things could really change in Pro and College FB going forward. I'm not sure I would want to own an NFL, or Pro BB franchise at this point. Not saying they're going "bust", but the bloom is off IMO.
Other posters have addressed your other points, but I would most certainly buy certain Pro franchises. Uncle Arthur has increased the value of the Falcons (a historically 3rd tier franchise w a little more success under Blank but still very sporadic under Blank in terms of W & L's) from $545m when he bought to team. According to Forbes, the Falcons are valued at $3.2 billion, an 11-percent increase from 2020.

Pro franchise ownership is all about the franchise value, not necessarily operating profit. Falcons were negative 4m in P&L in 2020 due to pandemic but franchise value still increased 11%. I'm sure Arthur is ecstatic. I would be, given the circumstances.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Following up on Stinger...If Tech comes to the B1G, then I'll be at Bobby Dodd for that 1st Tech-MN home game.

Also, might as well get some program bragging rights going in anticipation of the B1G event.

Minnesota has 7 National Titles going back to 1882. How fare thee Tech on Natties?

(BTW do not ask when our last one was...it's embarrassing...). Billd ;)
3 ?

Georgia Tech has been named national champion seven times by NCAA-designated major selectors.[82]:111–114[83] Georgia Tech claims the 1917, 1928, 1952, and 1990 championships.[84]:149–150

SeasonCoachSelectorsRecordBowlResult
1916John HeismanBillingsley Report8–0–1
1917John HeismanBillingsley, Helms, Houlgate, NCF9–0
1928William AlexanderBerryman, Billingsley, Boand, Football Research, Helms, Houlgate, NCF, Parke Davis, Poling, Sagarin (ELO-Chess)10–0Rose BowlW 8–7
1951Bobby DoddBerryman, Boand11–0–1Orange BowlW 17–14
1952Bobby DoddBerryman, Billingsley, INS, Poling, Sagarin (ELO-Chess)12–0Sugar BowlW 24–7
1956Bobby DoddBerryman, Sagarin10–1Gator BowlW 21–14
1990Bobby RossDunkel, FACT, NCF, Sagarin (ELO-Chess), UPI Coaches11–0–1Citrus BowlW 45

And in November there are good odds with don't need to wear coats, And we have room to spread out in our Stadium. And Y'all have NO Waffle house in Minnesota so all games would have to be played here,

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
The SEC was pushing the 12 team playoff structure, knowing they were going to be adding OU and UT. How many teams could the SEC put in a 12 team playoff? Would anybody be surprised if the potential 3-conference alliance votes to somehow limit the number of playoff teams from each conference? Or even supports an 8 team playoff instead. Just thinking out loud.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The SEC was pushing the 12 team playoff structure, knowing they were going to be adding OU and UT. How many teams could the SEC put in a 12 team playoff? Would anybody be surprised if the potential 3-conference alliance votes to somehow limit the number of playoff teams from each conference? Or even supports an 8 team playoff instead. Just thinking out loud.
Or adds a fourth conference to the group and maintains a four team playoff that excludes the SEC.

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
3 ?

Georgia Tech has been named national champion seven times by NCAA-designated major selectors.[82]:111–114[83] Georgia Tech claims the 1917, 1928, 1952, and 1990 championships.[84]:149–150

SeasonCoachSelectorsRecordBowlResult
1916John HeismanBillingsley Report8–0–1
1917John HeismanBillingsley, Helms, Houlgate, NCF9–0
1928William AlexanderBerryman, Billingsley, Boand, Football Research, Helms, Houlgate, NCF, Parke Davis, Poling, Sagarin (ELO-Chess)10–0Rose BowlW 8–7
1951Bobby DoddBerryman, Boand11–0–1Orange BowlW 17–14
1952Bobby DoddBerryman, Billingsley, INS, Poling, Sagarin (ELO-Chess)12–0Sugar BowlW 24–7
1956Bobby DoddBerryman, Sagarin10–1Gator BowlW 21–14
1990Bobby RossDunkel, FACT, NCF, Sagarin (ELO-Chess), UPI Coaches11–0–1Citrus BowlW 45

And in November there are good odds with don't need to wear coats, And we have room to spread out in our Stadium. And Y'all have NO Waffle house in Minnesota so all games would have to be played here,
1628981186954.png

Two facts are clear. First, we've both had past glory but at least you have fans alive that remember your last Nattie. And you're right...no Waffle Houses up here (as a Tech sponsor or not). Mrs Billd and I always make sure we go to WF when we are in Atlanta or anywhere south of St. Louis for that matter. Scattered and covered if you please...

On your no need for coats observation...very true. However, as a transplanted Atlantan here for 30+ years now I relish football in the cold...especially in the snow. Although definitely played and somewhat dominated in the south for modern football, the game was originally a cold-weather sport. Hard to believe but it is fun freezing one's *** off (or at least working to make sure you don't feel it). Plus, when PSU or tOSU come in November they don't want to be here. New Years Day in Tampa 2 years ago against Auburn sure felt fine though. The Outback Bowl kindly gave us the shade and we loved it at 65 degrees (probably 40 degrees warmer than home).

Thanks for playing. Clearly by Natties we both have the history. Here's to the future. Billd.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 11002
Two facts are clear. First, we've both had past glory but at least you have fans alive that remember your last Nattie. And you're right...no Waffle Houses up here (as a Tech sponsor or not). Mrs Billd and I always make sure we go to WF when we are in Atlanta or anywhere south of St. Louis for that matter. Scattered and covered if you please...

On your no need for coats observation...very true. However, as a transplanted Atlantan here for 30+ years now I relish football in the cold...especially in the snow. Although definitely played and somewhat dominated in the south for modern football, the game was originally a cold-weather sport. Hard to believe but it is fun freezing one's *** off (or at least working to make sure you don't feel it). Plus, when PSU or tOSU come in November they don't want to be here. New Years Day in Tampa 2 years ago against Auburn sure felt fine though. The Outback Bowl kindly gave us the shade and we loved it at 65 degrees (probably 40 degrees warmer than home).

Thanks for playing. Clearly by Natties we both have the history. Here's to the future. Billd.
Well if you like watching in the cold you may want to play uga they are with good to throwing their cokes and ice on you and if you want more cold wear some Tech gear to the game.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
As to MusicBuzz's point on "redemption on the 2018 debacle" I think that would be great no matter how it unfolded. I sent a note to our AD to that effect prior to the 2020 season. I see benefits for Minnesota for sure. Our clubs have now at least have met on the field, Minnesota actually recruits from Georgia, and both of our valued institutions are urban campuses. A lot to highlight.

2018 in Detroit was a mixed bag for both programs. Tech was at the end of an era while the Gophers were young in a new regime. By the time we met at Ford Field things were finally clicking for the Gophers (after a very rough start and first half of the season) while Coach Paul Johnson's Tech team had reached a plateau. The Gophers built off that game going into 2019 for a very good season.

Now both programs are in a rebuild mode...the Gophers are ahead under Coach Fleck and this is really a big year for Coach Collins and your squad. Since scheduling is an over the horizon process, at best it would be 2027 or 2028 (absent inter-conference dealmaking) for anything to pop up. We did have a one-and-one with North Carolina that was supposed to happen in 2017 or 2018 that got dropped, so there is some precedent between the conferences. Maybe I'll shoot the AD a scheduling note again...

Finally, our RB in the Bowl Game was then true freshman Mo Ibrahim. He had a big day against you guys that opened up Gopher fans eyes. He is now a senior and matured into an excellent RB in the B1G, if not nationally. You'll see his name in the running game stats as the season progresses. Our formerly 400 lb. OL Daniel Faalele is back too at a trim 360 lbs. We finally have depth and experience at the OL that should make our running game hard to stop. We think our QB can be given time to make the passing game work behind these guys. Big talk for August 14 but that's why they play the games.

Lot's of passion here. Always fun to read. On second thought I'll shoot that email to the AD this morning...

Good luck. Billd.

Really appreciate the contribution, feedback and insight @BilldGopher. All the best to you-

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
The Athletic is reporting, "The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic." No details were provided.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic is reporting, "The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic." No details were provided.

On the surface this sounds promising.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
On the surface this sounds promising.
Really, really like the concept here. The Alliance (B1G, Pac12, ACC) nailed messaging as well in that they are talking about the importance of broad college athletics (not just the money makers) plus academic integrity of college based sports. Fine for the men and women representing the school to make money as well, but let's make sure this is about kids going to school to get an education WHILE making money and playing / honing their craft; not just a minor league for the NFL/NBA without the cost to them and smoke and mirrors on the academic side.

I am down with this much more than going to a new conference as it allows us to keep geographic considerations and rivalries without being slowly picked apart by the SouthEVERYWHEREConference

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
LOL. That Grey Thompson dude is hilarious!

"Whaaaa? All this because of lil'ol us? Trust us, it's for the better. This will help all of college football to create our own super-power conference."

And I love his "...if we get more big games out of it that people want to see..." comment.
Let me translate that:
"Most of y'all should just drop football. Only the big programs are even worth watching, so it should be a 20-Team college football league, That way the only games we have to see are the 'big ones'."

What a doofus. So, if you only have "power teams" you know what happens? Half of them will have losing records. You'll end up with half as many "power teams". Can't have any loser teams...that's boring. Cut the losers and the next year you are down to 1/4 the power teams. Not long after that there is only one team in all of college football. Yay. Doofus.

I'm surprised that the human race has managed to survive so long with so many dummies in it. We should be harvesting social media posts so that when we finally decide we need to cull the herd some we'll have good data available. ;)

slugboy

Staff member
A bit more. There’s a lot going on, and the B1G, ACC, and P12 are more public and more academic. The SEC is under wraps, but more “semi pro”