Expansion Talk 2021

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
excellent idea to scrap the 12 team CFP in response to this.
I don't know who gets to decide but hope it's not secret committees and secret working groups.
I can't imagine that conferences don't get a vote.(anyone know??)
8 team CFP would be better at this point.
6 conf champs plus 2 wildcards. No byes!
(don't let them destroy CFP like they did with college BB conf tournys- not minimizing #byes is ridiculous)
this limits SEC to 3 max and at least there's competition for the WC's.
maybe even a rule to limit WC's to 1 per conference, but i'm ok without that.
I say hold an 8-team playoff without the SEC

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The remaining conferences could shun the SEC if they break from the NCAA to form a self governing mega conference. They would be forced to play within their own teams and crown their champion. The other conferences would have their own playoff which could be a larger geographically group of teams than basically the SE. TV would be larger and more diverse across the country. Essentially would have a SEC champ and the NCAA championship across the remaining multiple conferences.
Of course this will never happen.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The remaining conferences could shun the SEC if they break from the NCAA to form a self governing mega conference. They would be forced to play within their own teams and crown their champion. The other conferences would have their own playoff which could be a larger geographically group of teams than basically the SE. TV would be larger and more diverse across the country. Essentially would have a SEC champ and the NCAA championship across the remaining multiple conferences.
Of course this will never happen.
The problem isn't really the SEC, it's ESPN, who pretty much owns the AAC, and ACC as well, along with the College Football Playoff, many other bowl games, and half of the TV rights to the other conferences. They pretty much own college football and whatever benefits their bottom line the most is going to happen. They would squash any kind of rebellion against their biggest money maker.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are always unintended consequences to these sorts of things. Texas and OU make more money from the conference payout but end up 8-4 or worse. Their fans won't be happy but the athletic departments will be. Personally I will watch a Tx OU game if they are both top 10. Otherwise I could care less. I watch GT first and then a good match up with other ACC teams or a SEC rivalry e.g. UGA/FLA or Tenn/Ala.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Its probably time to give ND the sweetheart deal to join which would allow them more of a share than other schools, since they drive the conf $$. Then do the same for PSU, so PSU can save face and say they are only leaving B1G for more money and more respect. Then maybe either over next 20 years get ND and PSU to slowly even out their shares to equal, OR go the other way and start to divide ACC $ based upon clout and contributions toward revenue, so that Wake and BC can't spend no money on football and still get same share as klempson etc.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Its probably time to give ND the sweetheart deal to join which would allow them more of a share than other schools, since they drive the conf $$. Then do the same for PSU, so PSU can save face and say they are only leaving B1G for more money and more respect. Then maybe either over next 20 years get ND and PSU to slowly even out their shares to equal, OR go the other way and start to divide ACC $ based upon clout and contributions toward revenue, so that Wake and BC can't spend no money on football and still get same share as klempson etc.
It’s a long shot but would almost do anything to get ND and PSU in the ACC. And keep anyone from defecting. Don’t think we would ever have to worry again about getting good media deals.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Basically the reverse of Coach Hewitts contract huh. Big upfront and smaller and smaller until we're all even.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My suggestion:

1627576565027.jpeg

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem isn't really the SEC, it's ESPN, who pretty much owns the AAC, and ACC as well, along with the College Football Playoff, many other bowl games, and half of the TV rights to the other conferences. They pretty much own college football and whatever benefits their bottom line the most is going to happen. They would squash any kind of rebellion against their biggest money maker.

While yes it is true ESPN is the engineer, the driver is just plain, old greed. The greed and self-interest— from top to bottom — has altered CFB and collegiate amateur athletics to its core. Greed is good?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well that’s over the top. In this case I have no problem with greed. Don’t worry. A new system will emerge and we’ll still be playing ball. The real anger should be directed at the NCAA who ran this sport terribly. They are the true leeches who stomped on the little guy and let the money machines run wild under the guise of “legitimacy“. At least now the conferences will decide their fate and the veil of legitimacy is gone. If you want to get mad at someone it should be the NCAA not the SEC or any conference.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Well that’s over the top. In this case I have no problem with greed. Don’t worry. A new system will emerge and we’ll still be playing ball. The real anger should be directed at the NCAA who ran this sport terribly. They are the true leeches who stomped on the little guy and let the money machines run wild under the guise of “legitimacy“. At least now the conferences will decide their fate and the veil of legitimacy is gone. If you want to get mad at someone it should be the NCAA not the SEC or any conference.
But it's it any better to put the money machines in charge who are just as responsible to breaking everything anyways?

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

The issue with the NCAA is different matter. And it was never its role to legislate in this way. So, 100% disagree re NCAA and it’s clearly the schools and conferences — and fans, for that matter — that have created this environment. And we’re all paying for it: either in ways of increased ticket prices, demands for AA contributions, higher cable bills, price inflation of goods from ad costs, et cetera

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But it's it any better to put the money machines in charge who are just as responsible to breaking everything anyways?
They’ve always been breaking things. The NCAA gave them cover so the facade continued decade after decade which led to where we are. Eventually the big schools realized they no longer needed cover so they turned on their protector. And the protector caved.

The system has been broken forever!! Time to try something different. The big difference is now its all out in the open so the days of GT type programs getting titles stripped over trivial matters while the big cheating is allowed are over. Now it’s a level playing field for those schools who want to take part. The problem we as GT fans have is that we know our admin won’t take part. That’s a we problem not a they problem. I won’t blame the SEC because GT refuses to play by big boy rules.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
We are well positioned to play the game being in ATL though. I have a small business idea(mobile massage therapy) that could funnel cash to players quite easily under the guise of “sales & marketing”. It actually could have worked in the old system as well. They would be employees either way. These types of businesses won’t necessarily work in Clemson or Tuscaloosa because they don’t have the population that Atlanta does.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem we as GT fans have is that we know our admin won’t take part. That’s a we problem not a they problem. I won’t blame the SEC because GT refuses to play by big boy rules.

Just highlighting this and allowing some room to revisit or expound on what you‘re really thinking on this. What specifically would you have GT do to compensate for its failure?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They’ve always been breaking things. The NCAA gave them cover so the facade continued decade after decade which led to where we are. Eventually the big schools realized they no longer needed cover so they turned on their protector. And the protector caved.

The system has been broken forever!! Time to try something different. The big difference is now its all out in the open so the days of GT type programs getting titles stripped over trivial matters while the big cheating is allowed are over. Now it’s a level playing field for those schools who want to take part. The problem we as GT fans have is that we know our admin won’t take part. That’s a we problem not a they problem. I won’t blame the SEC because GT refuses to play by big boy rules.
Or just don't expand playoffs and let the sec kill themselves.

I like that better.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
According to John Borton, Michigan rivals site editor, ACC going hard after Penn State

Also in the video, claim mutual interest between B1G , GT and UVA. B1G seems to be trying to get UNC and Duke as well (AAU members all 4).

Frankly I’d be beyond thrilled to begone from the ACC and, South, in general. B1G adding us + the three is exciting. And let the numbnuts of Clemson, UGa(g) and all of Alabama and Texas sort out their priority and pecking order

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
According to John Borton, Michigan rivals site editor, ACC going hard after Penn State

Also in the video, claim mutual interest between B1G , GT and UVA. B1G seems to be trying to get UNC and Duke as well (AAU members all 4).

Fine with either move.

We've talked about a ACC-PAC12 merger this week but an ACC-B1G merger is even better. Unless the B1G is taking FSU, Clemson, VT, and NC State too they will all end up in the SEC.