Expansion Talk 2021

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t disagree with you. It’s all hindsight. However, I was all for going to the BIG back when we had a chance because I believe the ACC has been run by people with agendas other than what is right for all teams for a long time. I grew up a Maryland fan as my dad attended and I was born in College Park. I worshipped the ACC as a kid. Then we moved to Georgia and I attended GT. As an adult I‘ve seen the ACC hose GT at every turn and several other schools. Yet, somehow, UNC, Duke, Wake, and NC State never get hosed. I’m done with them. They hosed CPJ by giving everyone byes and instructing refs to “look” for chop blocks. Its just too much coincidence over my 51 years of life. It’s bad enough we have to deal with the SEC in our own city but our own conference disowns us half the time. I don’t know where any of this is going but anywhere is better than where we’ve been.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I was born in Texas, and would be a Texas Longhorn fan. But in no way shape of form do I want them in the ACC. They will destroy the conference period. You need to understand their mentality. They really don't think anybody is as good as them. If you think the NC mafia is bad, Texas is 10x worse.

Nope, Nope, Nope. Hard pass. Its honestly why I am chuckling a little bit when them going to the SEC. If that happens, the EGO fights between Texas and some of its SEC brothers will be epic.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
matthew mcconaughey oscars GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Listen, I was born in Texas, and would be a Texas Longhorn fan. But in no way shape of form do I want them in the ACC. They will destroy the conference period. You need to understand their mentality. They really don't think anybody is as good as them. If you think the NC mafia is bad, Texas is 10x worse.

Nope, Nope, Nope. Hard pass. Its honestly why I am chuckling a little bit when them going to the SEC. If that happens, the EGO fights between Texas and some of its SEC brothers will be epic.
Now ND and Texas in the same room would cause the place to explode with those egos. It might be comical to watch since NC thinks it is their conference.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point any of the big schools will have the power to destroy their conferences. Texas and Oklahoma are simply doing what Clemson or ND could do. Clemson could leave tomorrow and kill the ACC and ND could join and leave 10 years later. These contracts and buyouts don’t mean as much as they are suppose to anymore. Those contracts were negotiated years ago and those running out soon probably didn’t anticipate the money they were putting in the individual schools pockets. In other words, as a AD and President you could look at your buy out as simply spending the money the conference gave you. I know greed is a factor but Texas has made more money in the Big 12 than they will pay to leave, any school can look at further revenue and see a benefit for paying off their conferences now, if they have an offer that ultimately pays more.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just talking here but I’ve now seen 2 WV talking heads saying that the ACC is looking at cutting the lower revenue schools. They think they (WV) and ND are only two of 4-6 teams that are coming to the ACC. The problem, if their “reliable sources” are accurate, is that Ga Tech, Wake and Duke end up in the AAC. The word is that the ACC is talking to all remaining Big 12 teams, with the exceptions of Kansas and K St. apparently what’s fueling some of this is that the PAC 12 is a “liberal” conference and their “ code of standards” conflicts with Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech because they are conservative Christian schools whose policy and philosophical standards aren’t in line with PAC 12’s.

I know everything is a rumor right now but I do believe if the ACC wants to truly compete with the other 2 they will have to separate themselves from some long standing members, I just didn’t see Tech as a non productive member. its also of note that the new Chair seems to think football is improperly prioritized within the conference, meaning it ain’t #1, that could also be a preview of the current ND logic and hesitation about bringing football into the conference, they don’t wish to be the # 1 or 2 football school in a basketball focused conference.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Just talking here but I’ve now seen 2 WV talking heads saying that the ACC is looking at cutting the lower revenue schools. They think they (WV) and ND are only two of 4-6 teams that are coming to the ACC. The problem, if their “reliable sources” are accurate, is that Ga Tech, Wake and Duke end up in the AAC. The word is that the ACC is talking to all remaining Big 12 teams, with the exceptions of Kansas and K St. apparently what’s fueling some of this is that the PAC 12 is a “liberal” conference and their “ code of standards” conflicts with Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech because they are conservative Christian schools whose policy and philosophical standards aren’t in line with PAC 12’s.

I know everything is a rumor right now but I do believe if the ACC wants to truly compete with the other 2 they will have to separate themselves from some long standing members, I just didn’t see Tech as a non productive member. its also of note that the new Chair seems to think football is improperly prioritized within the conference, meaning it ain’t #1, that could also be a preview of the current ND logic and hesitation about bringing football into the conference, they don’t wish to be the # 1 or 2 football school in a basketball focused conference.
Take anything that talking heads, people on Twitter, or people on blogs say with a grain of salt. Most of that is simply people spouting out of their mouths the same as they do in arguments at a bar. If you want to get excited and argue, then go ahead and listen to them and then argue with them. Just remember that most of them have no more knowledge or information than some random guy you see at a sports bar. Somewhere, some of those guys are going to say things that actually come true, but it isn't because they have insight. It is because there are so many people saying so many things that some of them have to end up being correct. If a few hundred people roll dice, it is likely that a few of them will roll snake eyes.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I’m sure people are saying this, and lots of other silliness. If we get cut after winning the conference tourney in basketball, having the ACC POY AND DPOY, and making the NCAA tourney (with paid out for the conference) then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sure people are saying this, and lots of other silliness. If we get cut after winning the conference tourney in basketball, having the ACC POY AND DPOY, and making the NCAA tourney (with paid out for the conference) then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly! There’s a zero percent chance we would get cut from the ACC literally no chance of that happening. Heck, it might be beneficial for us if it did since it would get us out of this crappy ACC tv contract and grant of rights.

I would think if the ACC actually does this, then the SEC will follow kicking out Vandy, Kentucky, and Miss St. Not that I believe this would ever happen.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I would think if the ACC actually does this, then the SEC will follow kicking out Vandy, Kentucky, and Miss St. Not that I believe this would ever happen.

yeah I’m not saying I think it will happen but I do think there is a new mindset in the ”NCAA schools”. I think it’s akin to the parents going out of town and leaving the 16 year old home alone. The difference in this is that the NCAA isn’t coming back home. I obviously don’t know but I think traditional thinking in college football is out the door. Moves are completely up to the conferences and their willingness to take over the world. Money is the carrot that attracts and the motivation to cut old ties, nothing will surprise me. Another reason I hope Tech is aggressively looking at options.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

Jay Bilas is pushing for an ACC/SEC merger. This could be very interesting. Add ND full time and then bring over UT, OU, and OSU and then you have a full 32 team superconference with built-in in-state rivalries in GA, FL, AL, MS, TX, OK, TN, KY, NC, and SC. The B1G and Pac-12 could then merge with some of the Big 12 leftovers to form a second super-conference.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Jay Bilas is pushing for an ACC/SEC merger. This could be very interesting. Add ND full time and then bring over UT, OU, and OSU and then you have a full 32 team superconference with built-in in-state rivalries in GA, FL, AL, MS, TX, OK, TN, KY, NC, and SC. The B1G and Pac-12 could then merge with some of the Big 12 leftovers to form a second super-conference.

Now this? This me likey. Forget the NCAA. Acc brings the boom for basketball and SEC carries their football numbers with the occasional team rising up to challenge that (see Clemson in Football).

Plus the geography works to everyone’s advantage with an east and west division