Expansion Talk 2021

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Completely agree. Today’s situation is different than it was in 2013. I’m not sure the SEC would take us back but possibly if we leached onto Clemson’s back and made us a package then maybe. Plus I’m not sure SCar would want Clemson same way uga wouldn’t want us. At some point though I think those schools will realize that preserving the rivalry is better for them in the long run
-Would there be a strong interest from SEC schools not named UGA for Tech to be in the league for the sole purpose of UGA not being the only SEC school in Georgia? A&M has lost their minds that Texas is joining for that reason, it hurts their leverage on recruits in Texas. UGA would have a monopoly on a top 3 most talented football state while nearly every other meaningful football power has to fight with an in state rival for recruits. This would especially be true if the ACC dissolves and Tech doesn’t land in a major conference. With Tech finally emerging as a legitimate program on the recruiting trail this could be taken into consideration. If our current staff could add, ‘we’re in the SEC to their pitch we would be a threat to UGA’s recruiting.’

-On the flip side would SEC schools that recruit Georgia view Tech as a threat themselves to recruits from Georgia?

I don’t foresee the SEC showing interest in tech but curious if anyone thinks that reasoning would be on the table….

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
-Would there be a strong interest from SEC schools not named UGA for Tech to be in the league for the sole purpose of UGA not being the only SEC school in Georgia? A&M has lost their minds that Texas is joining for that reason, it hurts their leverage on recruits in Texas. UGA would have a monopoly on a top 3 most talented football state while nearly every other meaningful football power has to fight with an in state rival for recruits. This would especially be true if the ACC dissolves and Tech doesn’t land in a major conference. With Tech finally emerging as a legitimate program on the recruiting trail this could be taken into consideration. If our current staff could add, ‘we’re in the SEC to their pitch we would be a threat to UGA’s recruiting.’

-On the flip side would SEC schools that recruit Georgia view Tech as a threat themselves to recruits from Georgia?

I don’t foresee the SEC showing interest in tech but curious if anyone thinks that reasoning would be on the table….
If it's clear the ACC is folding and the SEC and B1G are emerging as the two super powers, would the SEC consider GT just to keep the B1G out of Atlanta?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson to the SEC report could be true, but I doubt it. This is all about money and the SEC already has South Carolina, which is a small state anyway.. The rest of it I can believe. I could see UNC, UVa, Va Tech or NC State before Clemson. A lot of people don't realize that the big state universities in NC and VA aren't UNC and UVa, but NC State and Va Tech.

The SEC would not want us for the same reason. It's not that UGa would keep us out--they would be out voted--but we don't bring enough market share. If Collins can capture 404 the way he is trying to do, that could change.
Clemson is bigger than just being in the state of South Carolina now, they are a national brand with bandwagon fans everywhere. Adding Clemson is more about ESPN getting people to sign up for ESPN+ outside South Carolina to see Clemson play Texas/OU/Alabama/etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson to the SEC report could be true, but I doubt it. This is all about money and the SEC already has South Carolina, which is a small state anyway.. The rest of it I can believe. I could see UNC, UVa, Va Tech or NC State before Clemson. A lot of people don't realize that the big state universities in NC and VA aren't UNC and UVa, but NC State and Va Tech.

The SEC would not want us for the same reason. It's not that UGa would keep us out--they would be out voted--but we don't bring enough market share. If Collins can capture 404 the way he is trying to do, that could change.

I think SEC is thinking bigger than just what ESPN will pay for a TV market. Otherwise, OU wouldn't even be in the discussion...OK City is the 44th ranked market.

I think they are thinking of becoming an entity unto themselves like the NFL that creates their own market and demand. They are collecting brands now, and OU and Texas are two of the biggest in the Southwest/Midwest and in the nation. Kind of like how Green Bay Packers are not in a big market (Milwaukee is #37) but their brand is national.

I think SEC wants to become a sports league with multiple streams of income and marketing similar to the professional sports leagues. They are thinking next level...which EVERY league should be. I would not be shocked if being untethered to the NCAA is part of those plans.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You’re completely right if college football stays as it is today. If the SEC has sights on creating a separate league outside of NCAA, keeping rivalries with story lines, historic brands, and just more teams could be what they are looking for. Not how a separate league would shake out with B1G because they’re not going anywhere either. Could be to keep them out of the south.

Do you all remember that idea that a super conference of 25 teams was being looked at. Maybe this is the beginning of that and no it would not be good for us as we would not be considered.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Could end up with:

-SEC (Tx, Ou, FSU, Clemson)

-Northern Conference (Big10 plus ND, some ACC schools/Big 12 leftovers)

-Western Conference (Pac12 plus some big 12 leftovers, BYU)

Some will be left out

slugboy

Staff member
Good write up on the ACC’s options over at ESPN:

A couple of points:
  • The ACC owns the TV broadcast rights for all members through 2036.
  • The partnership with Notre Dame has a “if you join a conference, it has to be the ACC” clause. That also runs through 2036.
  • There are expensive buy-outs of sorts for both
  • ESPN’s deal with the ACC runs through 2036. There are look-ins to boost the revenue

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Maybe let the SEC have their cake and eat it. Let the rest the rest of college sports return to the amatuer college sports model.

I don't think the SEC realizes that they may be signing up for a nightmare scenario down the road. You're talking about getting programs that are use to being the biggest fish in their conference and having an oversized voice in decisions. Now Texas/OSU/'Bama/UGA/Clemson/OU/etc. are now all in the same conference? Good luck at meetings.
yeah That part of it i agree with and can appreciate. But would we ever play UGA, FSU or Clemson again? All those rivalries and traditions would likely be gone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. None of the larger media are picking up on it.

I don't know this guy. From his profile he is a reporter on the SBNation site for the mutts. (FromtheRumbleSeat is the GT site). I don't know anything about the mutt site. I have nothing against From the Rumble Seat, but they don't have the money nor infrastructure of say ESPN, or SI, or USAToday, etc. They use a mostly volunteer staff, which is made up mostly, if not entirely, on GT fans who are heavily biased towards GT. I don't know if the mutt site is volunteer, but it very likely doesn't pay enough to be the writers' only job. The guy who wrote this tweet uses the moniker of ButtsnifferOutWest, so is probably as obnoxious in real life as Uncle Lou is on YouTube. (I changed his moniker slightly because I didn't want to actually type those letters in that order)

With that said, the statement might be true, and might happen. However, I don't trust his credibility. I also don't put a lot of faith into a statement that someone with "knowledge of the internal workings" sent a text message (only to this quasi-reporter guy) that the conference is working on something. It is more likely that if the conference is working on something, and various people with "knowledge of the internal workings" know about it, it would have leaked to more people and been reported on.
Yes, I don’t trust everything on that site either.

But let me say a good word for FTRS. I was briefly a writer for them a decade or so ago so I think I understand their internals. They have an agreement with Tech athletics that allows them inside access to a lot of things the average fan does not, as long as they toe a certain line. There are also different levels of writers. Yes, some actually get paid. When you read their stuff just know that SB requires them to turn out a certain quota of click bait articles for their national branding. I think most people on Swarm are smart enough to sort through which article have real knowledge behind them and which ones are to generate reach and traffic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I don’t trust everything on that site either.

But let me say a good word for FTRS. I was briefly a writer for them a decade or so ago so I think I understand their internals. They have an agreement with Tech athletics that allows them inside access to a lot of things the average fan does not, as long as they toe a certain line. There are also different levels of writers. Yes, some actually get paid. When you read their stuff just know that SB requires them to turn out a certain quota of click bait articles for their national branding. I think most people on Swarm are smart enough to sort through which article have real knowledge behind them and which ones are to generate reach and traffic.
I don't frequent FTRS, but I was not my intention to be negative about them. I did point out that they don't have the resources of national sports news organizations. I did point out that they are mostly, if not entirely, GT fans and so are heavily biased. That isn't a negative towards them, just a description of what they are.

Independent small town newspapers don't have the resources of the NYT or WSJ. That doesn't make them bad. However, if they were to publish a story about a national organization with supposed inside information, and that story was not carried by any national news organization it would cause me to question the authenticity of the story. Regarding the tweet about the SEC, we have an SEC homer who tweeted that "somebody" texted him that the SEC is making plans to go to 24 teams and become their own entity apart from the NCAA. They guy is a "reporter" for SBNation. He may or may not be paid for his writing. He may or may not have access to some people involved in the mutt program. He may have a history of being 100% correct, or may have a history of fabricating stories. If someone like Jim Nantz made such a claim, it would carry more weight. Could still be untrue, but Nantz has access to many more sources, makes his living in sports, and has an interest in not gaining a reputation for fabricating stories. The claim in the tweet might be accurate, however I don't place any credibility to an unknown and obviously biased reporter who is making claims from anonymous sources.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't frequent FTRS, but I was not my intention to be negative about them. I did point out that they don't have the resources of national sports news organizations. I did point out that they are mostly, if not entirely, GT fans and so are heavily biased. That isn't a negative towards them, just a description of what they are.

Independent small town newspapers don't have the resources of the NYT or WSJ. That doesn't make them bad. However, if they were to publish a story about a national organization with supposed inside information, and that story was not carried by any national news organization it would cause me to question the authenticity of the story. Regarding the tweet about the SEC, we have an SEC homer who tweeted that "somebody" texted him that the SEC is making plans to go to 24 teams and become their own entity apart from the NCAA. They guy is a "reporter" for SBNation. He may or may not be paid for his writing. He may or may not have access to some people involved in the mutt program. He may have a history of being 100% correct, or may have a history of fabricating stories. If someone like Jim Nantz made such a claim, it would carry more weight. Could still be untrue, but Nantz has access to many more sources, makes his living in sports, and has an interest in not gaining a reputation for fabricating stories. The claim in the tweet might be accurate, however I don't place any credibility to an unknown and obviously biased reporter who is making claims from anonymous sources.
I’m not disagreeing with you. I just didn’t want anyone else reading what you wrote to misinterpret what goes on at FTRS.

But I agree with your assessment of what was written.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The SEC is going to eliminate the NCAA. Everyone that has been begging for the NCAA to be eliminated should be thrilled with this result. Was easy to see coming.

The money will likely be enough that these schools can negotiate themselves out of the GOR too. There's going to be a big boy division, another tier, and then the bottom tier.

If the SEC is going after every football power, how have they not voted Vanderbilt out? What's the point of letting them stick around?
I am thrilled. The NCAA has no one to blame for themselves. They allowed blatant cheating and now those cheaters turned on them. It’s beautiful. As for GT, we gave up our membership in the SEC and passed on the BIG, all so we could continue to lick the boots of the Swoffords of the world. I hope our new President and TStan can pull a Houdini act somehow.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There are two big players in the expansion game right now: SEC & B1G.

GT was part of the SEC and we voluntarily gave that up.

GT was invited to the B1G...and we voluntarily turned it down.

If we get left out in the cold, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Are we sure we were invited to big 10?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we sure we were invited to big 10?
It’s confirmed we were approached by the big 10. Pretty sure we gave them a hard no so there was no need for an official offer or anything. Typically these conferences know they’ll get a yes before officially offering and going to a vote. Hence why we know Texas and Oklahoma will get offered from SEC, they know how everyone is voting.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I doubt seriously that it is going to matter in the big scheme of things where we end up - no way we have the fan base to support what is happening now with NIL. I realize we have some very rich alumni and donors, but so do all of the other schools. I just can't see us ending up in the top bracket, whatever that becomes. Pandora's Box is way past open now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am thrilled. The NCAA has no one to blame for themselves. They allowed blatant cheating and now those cheaters turned on them. It’s beautiful. As for GT, we gave up our membership in the SEC and passed on the BIG, all so we could continue to lick the boots of the Swoffords of the world. I hope our new President and TStan can pull a Houdini act somehow.
Keep seeing references to our leaving the SEC and rejecting the B1G but these only look like bad decisions in hindsight. I regret both decisions. In hindsight. They were bad decisions. In hindsight. But both were reasonable decisions at the time. To say otherwise is rewriting history. In hindsight.