Expansion Talk 2021

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he means the SEC becomes its own league? Outside of the NCAA?

Maybe that's the best thing for college sports. Let the SEC become a minor league, and the remaining schools operate on the "amatuer" model. Let the SEC deal with the NIL and paying SAs, and let all other athletes that play outside the SEC know that if they sign, they get a free education and room and board and that's it. You waive your rights to any NIL claim if you do so because you can join the SEC...if they even want you.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Maybe that's the best thing for college sports. Let the SEC become a minor league, and the remaining schools operate on the "amatuer" model. Let the SEC deal with the NIL and paying SAs, and let all other athletes that play outside the SEC know that if they sign, they get a free education and room and board and that's it. You waive your rights to any NIL claim if you do so because you can join the SEC...if they even want you.

bet any money Clemson and FSU are part of this

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Their greed is literally going to ruin college football

Maybe let the SEC have their cake and eat it. Let the rest the rest of college sports return to the amatuer college sports model.

I don't think the SEC realizes that they may be signing up for a nightmare scenario down the road. You're talking about getting programs that are use to being the biggest fish in their conference and having an oversized voice in decisions. Now Texas/OSU/'Bama/UGA/Clemson/OU/etc. are now all in the same conference? Good luck at meetings.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I don’t think you really want this. This would make the amateur league similar to how minor league vs college is for baseball. College baseball is not a revenue sport because people prefer to watch minor league if they want to watch lower league than MLB. Unless GT got in on the minor league, it would kill the football program.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The SEC is going to eliminate the NCAA. Everyone that has been begging for the NCAA to be eliminated should be thrilled with this result. Was easy to see coming.

The money will likely be enough that these schools can negotiate themselves out of the GOR too. There's going to be a big boy division, another tier, and then the bottom tier.

If the SEC is going after every football power, how have they not voted Vanderbilt out? What's the point of letting them stick around?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you really want this. This would make the amateur league similar to how minor league vs college is for baseball. College baseball is not a revenue sport because people prefer to watch minor league if they want to watch lower league than MLB. Unless GT got in on the minor league, it would kill the football program.

No, I think it will be the big SEC programs beating up on each other NFL style, while the rest of the college world goes on. Non-SEC schools can commit to not scheduling SEC teams since it will technically be "pros" versus amatuers.

That's the thing that the SEC doesn't get. Eventually, you start hurting yourself.

The other scenario in all of the this is the B1G counter moves and starts swooping up "name" teams in the ACC and PAC12 to keep Michigan and Ohio State in the fold while forming league that competes with the SEC...or the B1G/ACC/PAC12 all form a "super" league that's ancillary to the respective existing league and they all freeze out the SEC (which is a plan I am in favor of). Kinda like European soccer has the Champions League. I highly doubt B1G is just going to sit there and let the SEC decimate them. B1G teams are pretty loyal to history and they have good leadership heading the conference. There's probably a LOT of things going on right now that we won't be aware of until it happens.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
More people don't follow college baseball because the MLB season is so long and overlaps everything. No one avoids college baseball because of minor league baseball. That's just silly.

logs_onlogs

Georgia Tech Fan
Big10 already tried courting tech in 2013. I'd be surprised if that's a move stansbury hasn't considered, and even more so with current situation unfolding. Either way I feel Tech of all schools has a pathway to stay in the conversation if SEC or Big10 come calling.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
More people don't follow college baseball because the MLB season is so long and overlaps everything. No one avoids college baseball because of minor league baseball. That's just silly.
The bulk of the college season does not overlap MLB. I still think the analogy holds though. People would prefer to watch the “minor league” of football because it’s the better competition. So trying to preserve amateurism in the rest of the college world would effectively kill those programs.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Big10 already tried courting tech in 2013. I'd be surprised if that's a move stansbury hasn't considered, and even more so with current situation unfolding. Either way I feel Tech of all schools has a pathway to stay in the conversation if SEC or Big10 come calling.
Completely agree. Today’s situation is different than it was in 2013. I’m not sure the SEC would take us back but possibly if we leached onto Clemson’s back and made us a package then maybe. Plus I’m not sure SCar would want Clemson same way uga wouldn’t want us. At some point though I think those schools will realize that preserving the rivalry is better for them in the long run

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. None of the larger media are picking up on it.

I don't know this guy. From his profile he is a reporter on the SBNation site for the mutts. (FromtheRumbleSeat is the GT site). I don't know anything about the mutt site. I have nothing against From the Rumble Seat, but they don't have the money nor infrastructure of say ESPN, or SI, or USAToday, etc. They use a mostly volunteer staff, which is made up mostly, if not entirely, on GT fans who are heavily biased towards GT. I don't know if the mutt site is volunteer, but it very likely doesn't pay enough to be the writers' only job. The guy who wrote this tweet uses the moniker of ButtsnifferOutWest, so is probably as obnoxious in real life as Uncle Lou is on YouTube. (I changed his moniker slightly because I didn't want to actually type those letters in that order)

With that said, the statement might be true, and might happen. However, I don't trust his credibility. I also don't put a lot of faith into a statement that someone with "knowledge of the internal workings" sent a text message (only to this quasi-reporter guy) that the conference is working on something. It is more likely that if the conference is working on something, and various people with "knowledge of the internal workings" know about it, it would have leaked to more people and been reported on.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. None of the larger media are picking up on it.

I don't know this guy. From his profile he is a reporter on the SBNation site for the mutts. (FromtheRumbleSeat is the GT site). I don't know anything about the mutt site. I have nothing against From the Rumble Seat, but they don't have the money nor infrastructure of say ESPN, or SI, or USAToday, etc. They use a mostly volunteer staff, which is made up mostly, if not entirely, on GT fans who are heavily biased towards GT. I don't know if the mutt site is volunteer, but it very likely doesn't pay enough to be the writers' only job. The guy who wrote this tweet uses the moniker of ButtsnifferOutWest, so is probably as obnoxious in real life as Uncle Lou is on YouTube. (I changed his moniker slightly because I didn't want to actually type those letters in that order)

With that said, the statement might be true, and might happen. However, I don't trust his credibility. I also don't put a lot of faith into a statement that someone with "knowledge of the internal workings" sent a text message (only to this quasi-reporter guy) that the conference is working on something. It is more likely that if the conference is working on something, and various people with "knowledge of the internal workings" know about it, it would have leaked to more people and been reported on.
More likely knows a friend of a friend who's dad is a huge booster at some school and heard this rumor lol

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
NIL is here to stay, even if some of the NCAA formed a difference organization. Georgia passed a law this year that makes it illegal for an intercollegiate athletic organization from limiting a players ability to make money from his Name, Image, or Likeness. No matter what the SEC does, and no matter what title you put on the organization that remains, and no matter what label you put on the athletes, it is against the law to prevent them from using NIL to make money as a condition to play the sport.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
NIL is here to stay, even if some of the NCAA formed a difference organization. Georgia passed a law this year that makes it illegal for an intercollegiate athletic organization from limiting a players ability to make money from his Name, Image, or Likeness. No matter what the SEC does, and no matter what title you put on the organization that remains, and no matter what label you put on the athletes, it is against the law to prevent them from using NIL to make money as a condition to play the sport.

NIL is the law, but how it's applied is different in every state, and there's nothing that says schools can't tell their SAs they can not profit until their scholarship, dorms, and meal plan is payed for. There's nothing that says schools can't collectively agree that all the expenses have to be paid if you're going to collect NIL...because at the end of the day, those are still expenses for the schools. The other thing is, how many players on the team will actually make enough in NIL to cover their expenses...especially at non-factory schools?

NIL may be law, and since it's new there's not much known about the outcome, but at the end of the day, the schools are still the platform which the SAs leverage...but if all the schools (which are platforms) agree to a set of standards, NIL becomes totally different. Let the SEC deal with it.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson to the SEC report could be true, but I doubt it. This is all about money and the SEC already has South Carolina, which is a small state anyway.. The rest of it I can believe. I could see UNC, UVa, Va Tech or NC State before Clemson. A lot of people don't realize that the big state universities in NC and VA aren't UNC and UVa, but NC State and Va Tech.

The SEC would not want us for the same reason. It's not that UGa would keep us out--they would be out voted--but we don't bring enough market share. If Collins can capture 404 the way he is trying to do, that could change.