Expansion Talk 2021

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The rumor is they are discussion pods instead of divisions. The rumored pod for the mutts is: mutts, UF, USCe, and Kentucky. So they would not play Alabama and Auburn every year. Only UF, USCe, and Kentucky. I think their chances would remain about the same as they currently are in that scenario.
I have a really hard time believing that they will accept not playing Auburn every year. They have played them every year since 1902.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I just don't understand why we would rush out to get WVU and a Uconn or a Cincy as a response to the SEC getting freaking TX and OU. Those aren't remotely on the same level, im not sure it really benefits us that much financially, and it just makes us look desperate.
Well, let’s call it like it is, it makes us look like we are not interested in football. Other things, perhaps, but not football.

slugboy

Staff member
Basketball isn’t a driver for realignment. Even for Kansas, revenue and profits are from football—at least for now.
There are a lot of rumors, but I can’t understand why we’d entertain UConn in football. There’s no revenue from their football membership.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
One good thing that will come if Texas and OU join the SEC: It will probably shift Alabama and Auburn to the Eastern division. If you think UGA had it tough having to go through 'Bama in the SEC Championship game, imagine their angst knowing they have to beat 'Bama (and Auburn on top of the usual Florida, TN, USCe) just to get to the SEC championship game.
My thoughts exactly. Regardless of how the divisions or pods split out, uGa's path to a natty gets exponentially harder. Schadenfreude squared. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What matters more to Clem- making more money or an easier path to the CFB playoffs?
If the ACC is considered a non-football conference then even an undefeated Clemson is not a lock for the playoffs. The last time they won a championship there was a serious discussion prior to that about them not getting selected. Besides, they have built an attitude in the program of beating the best to be the best. They DO NOT want to see their program regress because all the top athletes are getting swallowed up by the SEC and the B1G.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Rumor I heard was West VA to ACC and UConn as FB mber only so ND & Uconn split ACC tv money and West VA get sful share, ESPN will agree to looin and will ensure ACCN is on Comcast by September. Only a Rumor no good source
WVU and UConn are not joining the ACC. Why would 14.5 schools share money with either of them and they don't bring jack squat to the conference. That rumor is about as accurate as Alabama and Florida joining the ACC. Not. Gonna. Happen

BleedingWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm wondering if it will affect the play-off expansion debate. I read somewhere that they were going to not release SEC expansion information until after the playoff debate. That screams to me that they thought it might. The Big 12 was one of the bigger proponents of the expanded play-offs. They're now looking at things differently. It was the 6 highest rated conference champs and six at large. With no limit to the number of teams one conference could send to the play-off. The Big 12 was always expected to have someone be in. Most years two. If Texas ever righted the ship possibly three. Now, it looks like one at most. I went back the last 6 years and looked at the highest ranked team not Oklahoma or Texas (really just Oklahoma, Texas has been awful). Below are the highest ranked teams. They still get in because of the conference championship, but only one. Some years they were very close to being left out. I'm sure the Big 12 commissioner when arguing was sure Texas would one day right the ship and the Big 12 would have at a minimum two teams in. Without Texas and Oklahoma they're barely better than the AAC. I would expect their conference to take a major hit once the current contract goes away and they're getting paid for what they're providing and not a higher number based on having 12 teams.

Below are the rankings at week 14 before the bowls, NOT end of the year rankings.
2020 Iowa State 10 (Oklahoma 6)
2019 Baylor at 7 (Oklahoma 4)
2018 Iowa State 24 (Oklahoma 4)
2017 TCU at15 (Oklahoma 2)
2016 TCU at12 (Oklahoma 7)
2015 TCU at 11 (Oklahoma 4)

There are now four Power conferences, really three with the PAC, Big 12 and AAC all now being on the same level. If I were the commissioner of the ACC, PAC 12, AAC and now Big 12, I would push to set a maximum on the number of teams a conference could get into the play-off. The chance of any of these conferences getting four or more will be never. So there isn't a down side for any of these conferences to be setting the maximum teams a conference could send to three. The chances of the Big 10 would get four teams is higher, but based on the end of the season rankings going back to 2015 they never would have. The Big 10 was getting between 2-3 teams in. The chances of the SEC getting four or more very high. ESPN would push it. You want parity limit the number of teams a conference can send. If the SEC and BIG 10 are capped at 3 teams doesn't affect the Big 10 much then that leaves an additional two spots for the other conferences/ND.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What matters more to Clem- making more money or an easier path to the CFB playoffs?
Money. Easy. They’ve proven they can hang with Alabama and Ohio St. They’ll be in the playoffs most years till Dabo leaves regardless of conference. Now long term post Dabo, who knows.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If the ACC takes UCONN I’m done with them. You will have fans of members schools thinking our own conference gave up. The conference will seal its own fate nationally and the topic at the introduction the press conference should be about Trig and Poly Nomials, cause it won’t be about football !

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok. Hear me out. What if the ACC went after Auburn. This could work for everyone. On a macro scale it would bring more parity across conferences but also, it could allow Auburn to get out from under the Alabama shadow. If they’re good enough, they could be competing for a conference champ every year, keep Bama as an ACC/SEC match up, and become a focal school instead of the Bama little sibling. Financially this only works if the other school we add is ND. Every conference is looking to add TV markets which the state of Alabama is covered by Bama so the SEC doesn’t lose much. ACC would add Birmingham and Montgomery.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If the ACC takes UCONN I’m done with them. You will have fans of members schools thinking our own conference gave up. The conference will seal its own fate nationally and the topic at introduction the press conference should be about Trig and Poly Nomials, cause it won’t be about football !
Good thing people on forums aren’t in charge. ACC won’t add UCONN. The last go round, their football was on the up and basketball was nearing blue blood status and the ACC still didn’t take them. They certainly won’t now. Both are way worse now than they were then, they’ve missed their window and they’ll get left behind in this realignment.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok. Hear me out. What if the ACC went after Auburn. This could work for everyone. On a macro scale it would bring more parity across conferences but also, it could allow Auburn to get out from under the Alabama shadow. If they’re good enough, they could be competing for a conference champ every year, keep Bama as an ACC/SEC match up, and become a focal school instead of the Bama little sibling. Financially this only works if the other school we add is ND. Every conference is looking to add TV markets which the state of Alabama is covered by Bama so the SEC doesn’t lose much. ACC would add Birmingham and Montgomery.

nobody is gonna leave the SEC it’s generating to much money. If someone did ever leave it would be Vandy to The ACC

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
nobody is gonna leave the SEC it’s generating to much money. If someone did ever leave it would be Vandy to The ACC
I disagree. Vandy won’t leave because of the money of SEC. If Auburn left, they could bring money with them in their brand. Auburn coming to ACC adds to ACC value. Vandy is just splitting the pie more, Auburn makes a bigger pie.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Why do you want any team besides ND to join? No one from the BIg10 or SEC is coming. Money delta is huge.
Because 15 teams is just the dumbest thing ever.... so on second thought, its exactly what the old ACC would do.

Adding Auburn is very interesting but so is me having a Netflix and chill night with Jennifer Aniston.... just not gonna happen unfortunately.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Vandy won’t leave because of the money of SEC. If Auburn left, they could bring money with them in their brand. Auburn coming to ACC adds to ACC value. Vandy is just splitting the pie more, Auburn makes a bigger pie.
What TV market would Auburn add to the ACC? Birmingham(#44)? The SEC had a $45 million per school payout. The ACC had a $30 million per school payout. Auburn would have to add $240 million per year to the ACC revenue in order to break even switching to the ACC. Or the other ACC schools would have to accept $1 million less than normal in order to pay an extra $15 million to Auburn to get them to come over. Not gonna happen.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

Reminiscent of the TA&M plan… plausible at the least.

It’s curious to me the emphasis on TV Market as a geographic locale vs the “brand” of the team. Surely UAuburn’s brand exceeds State of Alabama (obviously, it’s in GA big time). Conversely, while Tech resides in Atlanta I don’t necessarily think that Tech brings in that much of the city if that’s the talking point?

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

Reminiscent of the TA&M plan… plausible at the least.

What TV market would Auburn add to the ACC? Birmingham(#44)? The SEC had a $45 million per school payout. The ACC had a $30 million per school payout. Auburn would have to add $240 million per year to the ACC revenue in order to break even switching to the ACC. Or the other ACC schools would have to accept $1 million less than normal in order to pay an extra $15 million to Auburn to get them to come over. Not gonna happen.

It’s curious to me the emphasis on TV Market as a geographic locale, especially one city, vs the “brand” of the team. Surely UAuburn’s brand exceeds State of Alabama (obviously, it’s in GA big time) and far exceeds Birmingha. Conversely, while Tech resides in Atlanta I don’t necessarily think that Tech brings in that much of the city if that’s the talking point

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Do Y'all remember history this is the same talk a few years ago before everyone but the SEC signed the GOR.s come back in 4 years and ESPN is not doing the well