Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
You know who wins if the ACC gets torn to shreds and SEC and B1G become 2 supernovas? ESPN.

You know why beneficiary of the ACC's GOR is? ESPN.

Do the math...if ESPN wants to make something happen, that something will happen because ESPN is writing the checks. '

Chaos is a ladder (Game of Thrones reference), so the ACC can actually come out like a bandit if the leadership is smart. Like say preemptively try to talk Texas and OU in joining the ACC, get ND to commit, and find a 4th team. How good does the ACC look with Texas, OU, and ND...and how much more money can the ACC command with those teams?

new times new commissioner, just yesterday he was talking about good things coming with Comcast, who knows what he is or isn’t working on. We knew Swafford was a NC area guy, hope the new guy is a total conference person, he better be for the conferences sake

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I bet Maryland thought that too. Especially their first year in the B1G in 2014 when all 51,802 seats got filled when Michigan State and Ohio State came to town. And again in 2015 when they were at full capacity for their home game against Michigan.

But I bet they were massively disappointed in 2018 when the OSU game only drew 38k, and in 2019 when Michigan only brought in 40k.

I don't know the stats on Maryland area, but Atlanta is home is the largest B1G alumni base outside of the midwest. I believe only Chicago and Indianapolis...maybe Cincy have a larger B1G alumni base than Atlanta.

Let's be honest, it's not like GT is killing it with attendence in the ACC anyhow. Even if we remain the same, we would be pocketing WAY more money from the B1G than staying in the ACC. Attendence is an excuse for those that just don't want to change when it really isn't an issue for us anyhow. We're not Clemson or UGA with fans that actually like to travel...heck, a lot of fans don't even go to home games.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Texas, Iowa State and Kansas are the only two AAU schools in the Big12, so the only ones that the Big10 would accept. If Texas goes to the SEC, that only leaves Iowa State and Kansas who would be allowed in the Big10.

I just dont think all these standards hold In place during what’s bound to be a massive shake up.BIG 10 will have to expand and unless they want schools like Duke and Pitt they are going to have to look at this as an issue in that expansion

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that would work. If there are TV rights involved, the ACC would own them for another 14-15 years.

Also, that would be for football, basketball, baseball, etc. It would be a little difficult to have all of the football games at another location. It would be more difficult to have the basketball games at another location. It would be just as difficult to have baseball at another location. In addition to the difficulty in scheduling, that would mean no games at BDS or McCamish or Rush Chandler until 2036-37.
The ACC owns rights to Tech's home games.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The ACC owns rights to Tech's home games.
I haven't seen the actual contract language. I searched for it a little, but couldn't find anything other than people describing it. Most if the description is simply "media rights". I am pretty sure that the lawyers would have been smart enough not to include a simple loophole, such as let's play down the street from the school. If I find the actual contract, I'll read it to see.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen the actual contract language. I searched for it a little, but couldn't find anything other than people describing it. Most if the description is simply "media rights". I am pretty sure that the lawyers would have been smart enough not to include a simple loophole, such as let's play down the street from the school. If I find the actual contract, I'll read it to see.
When Tech. plays @ UGa, who owns the TV rights?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In theory I like this. BUT, I'm not staying up till 2AM to see the entire game. Unless an even scheduling model can be presented, this is a no go.

I would assume they would make those game more prime time/east coast friendly. I doubt they want to show a Clemson-USC matchup at 12am EST, when they can play it at 3pm west coast time/7pm east coast time.

Plus, haven't most of you heathens been making a ruckus about noon games?!! It's perfect now you can booze it up and watch our games at 3pm or 7pm!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just dont think all these standards hold In place during what’s bound to be a massive shake up.BIG 10 will have to expand and unless they want schools like Duke and Pitt they are going to have to look at this as an issue in that expansion
It has been Big10 policy for a long time, and they make more money than any conference.

If there is a huge shakeup, grant-of-rights goes out the window, and the Big10 wants to expand they could go after:

GT
Iowa State
Texas A&M (They might be upset about Texas joining the SEC)
Cal
UCLA
Kansas
UNC
Oregon
Pitt
UVA
Washington
Duke
Stanford
USC

They would have plenty of options and still stick to AAU schools only.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GT stands to gain far more in attendence by joining the B1G than staying in the ACC...and our checks would be much larger. I did the math in another thread, and GT has lost well over $100 million in just media revenue since we turned down the B1G. Think about that.
OK

1626989730865.png

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
What does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that every single GT game be played at the opponents venue? 100% away games?

When GT plays at MBS, the ACC gets the media money. When GT plays in bowl games, the ACC gets the media money.
You seemed to be struggling with the concept that the ACC does not control TV rights except for home games.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just my 2 cents worth but I think Tech’s best option is for the ACC to hold together and add two marquis teams like Notre Dame and Penn State or Texas.

If the ACC falters, and the B1G is still available, Tech needs to get out while the getting is good.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my 2 cents worth but I think Tech’s best option is for the ACC to hold together and add two marquis teams like Notre Dame and Penn State or Texas.

If the ACC falters, and the B1G is still available, Tech needs to get out while the getting is good.
agree but Texas seems destined for the SEC and I don’t see any Big 10 team leaving to join the ACC, I think it would be hard to get that even if ND did come aboard. Essentially if ND won’t come in, Tech needs to get out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
this is old if someone has newer , why would leave to come to the ACC ?

ConferenceFY 2015FY 2016FY 2017FY 2018FY 2019
SEC$32.7M$40.4M$41M$43.7M
Big 10$32.4M$34.8M$37M$54M
ACC$26.2M$23.8M$26.6M$29.5M
Big 12$23.4M$28.5M$34.3M$36.5M$38.8M
Pac 12$25.1M$28.7M$30.9M$31.3M

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the stats on Maryland area, but Atlanta is home is the largest B1G alumni base outside of the midwest. I believe only Chicago and Indianapolis...maybe Cincy have a larger B1G alumni base than Atlanta.

Let's be honest, it's not like GT is killing it with attendence in the ACC anyhow. Even if we remain the same, we would be pocketing WAY more money from the B1G than staying in the ACC. Attendence is an excuse for those that just don't want to change when it really isn't an issue for us anyhow. We're not Clemson or UGA with fans that actually like to travel...heck, a lot of fans don't even go to home games.
The “Maryland area” is also know as Washington, D.C. Washington has tons more B1G alumni than Atlanta. ATL can’t even hold a candle to D.C. when it comes to that. Other cities with more B1G alumni than Atlanta include: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and Denver.

As of now, GT relies on opposing fans to fill BDS. The only sellouts that occur nowadays are when the majority of seats are filled with the opposing team’s colors. If Maryland (the D.C. market) and Rutgers (the New York market) can’t rely on their large, local B1G alumni bases to fill seats, why do you think Georgia Tech can? As I pointed out in Maryland’s case, I’m sure ticket sells would skyrocket for a couple of years until every B1G team has rotated through Atlanta, but after that it’ll be the same old story.

Clemson is a local team, a conference rival, and a historical rival. There are plenty of Clemson fans who have friends, family, coworkers, and see strangers who are GT fans. Their campus is a little over 2 hours from Atlanta. Countless alumni live in the ATL, I’d be willing to bet my life more than any B1G team. I’m positive they would have more interest in attending a game at BDS than anyone from Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. after the novelty of Atlanta wore off after a couple of trips. Same goes for Miami and Florida State.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping this (along with a new ACC commissioner) puts pressure on ND to join fully. I don't think the ACC is too at risk to fully fall apart because of UNC and Duke (pretty much a package deal wherever they go and are still basketball powerhouses). Whatever expansions the ACC does chase will be based 90% on TV contract additions vs academic fit/athletic fit though. That's the only way to even try to keep up.

SEC will effectively be full though at 16 teams. You can't really add more without moving to pods (unlikely due to rivalries/yearly games), and I don't think Oklahoma St. and Baylor would be big enough additions to warrant that. People worried about Clemson or FSU joining forget that uGA, USC, and UF effectively have a pact to block those teams (and us) so that they're the only SEC teams in the state.

I think without the CFP expansion, Oklahoma and Texas would be less likely to join because they had an easier path to the playoff before (still would be slightly harder with the move, but not as hard without the expansion).

But I do love what the idea of moving Alabama to the east does to uGA's national championship odds perennially.
You do know the current ACC Commissioner was an Assistant AD at Notre Dame and has 2 kids currently in school there? He has strong ties to ND and if anyone could get them onboard, it's JP.