Expansion Talk 2021

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I like UCF but it has to be bigger. The ACC is set in The State of Florida, expansion has to bring big TV money or it’s pointless.

Just watched ESPN broadcast, Finebaum says the deal may be announced in 2 weeks. Both Heather Dinich and Finebaum say it’s the PAC 12 who will be out if the Big 12 collapses. Says it’s already in the tea leaves that the other Big 12 teams will fade into the ACC and Big 10 and the PAC 12 can’t compete with any of those super conferences.

hold onto your hats guys, looks like The ACC is about to get 4-6 more schools

Finebaum says it’s essentially a done deal, 3 super conferences when it’s all over.
If that's true, I'd honestly go after UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Colorado if I'm the ACC. And make them a "POD". Talk about landing a television market (LA and Denver) and Nike money (Oregon). To hell with poaching Big 12 leftovers.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
If that's true, I'd honestly go after UCLA, USC, Oregon, and Colorado if I'm the ACC. And make them a "POD". Talk about landing a television market (LA and Denver) and Nike money (Oregon). To hell with poaching Big 12 leftovers.

man that would be weird, same conference with teams in Cali. Even if you pod it, we would play in LA every 4 years ?

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Us going to the BiG10 would gain us very little. It would hurt recruiting as we would be on long plane rides for our away games, meaning no family coming to watch. Kids like being near Momma's home cooking.

very true but I think the point for realignment, from the conference stand point, is money (TV revenue shares). I think it would be a serious thorn in The SECs side to have Penn St or Michigan at Ga Tech as Georgia is hosting Vandy Or Tn is hosting SC.

plus landscape is changing with player rights in the pic now being near mommy wont compare to the NIL deals they get, the better the exposure the more the individual money. Is it Ohio States QB that’s nearing 1 million in NIL deals, this year ?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
To me it is all about brand names, and engagement of your content. Getting Oklahoma doesn't do very much to add subs to the SEC network. But we are beyond that, the money that is to be made now and into the future is driving the revenue through massive engagement. People all across the USA will want to watch an Oklahoma/LSU game or a Texas/Florida game.

It only makes sense now to expand with National brand names. That is why N.D. will be so coveted, and I think the Big 10 will try once again to get them into the fold.

very true but I think the point for realignment, from the conference stand point, is money (TV revenue shares). I think it would be a serious thorn in The SECs side to have Penn St or Michigan at Ga Tech as Georgia is hosting Vandy Or Tn is hosting SC
I have to laugh a bit...so you want Michigan and Penn St down here...going after recruits that more than likely would look at Tech. lol.....

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I have to laugh a bit...so you want Michigan and Penn St down here...going after recruits that more than likely would look at Tech. lol.....

no, but no more than I want Georgia and Alabama or Tenn and Florida recruiting our targets. Recruiting isn’t as regional anymore, how many kids have we gotten verbals from who have 17-18 offers from all over the country.

it’s not gonna be about what the fans want anyway it’s gonna be about money.

I think it increases Techs appeal to be in a strong conference, which right now isn’t the ACC

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
man that would be weird, same conference with teams in Cali. Even if you pod it, we would play in LA every 4 years ?

We'd blow by the 16 team thing so no idea how scheduling would work. Just thinking about it financially - those schools can bring value where UCF, WVU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas etc... just don't.

Let's have some fun real quick though. Let's add Stanford and all their cash too.

West POD - USC, UCLA, Oregon, Colorado, Stanford
South POD - Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, WF
Mid-Atlantic POD - Duke, UNC, NC State, UVA, VT
North POD - BC, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, Louisville

*** -Something has to give keeping UVA and VT together and the four NC schools together so this is just brainstorming ***

Play your pod every year - 2 home and 2 away games. Play 2 of the other 5 in each POD every year - 1 home and 1 away. That's 10 conference games and more content for the ACC Network. Every 5 years, you would play the schools in the other PODs once at home and once on the road.

Basketball is big enough to just play a damn round robin 19 games each. Everyone can have a permanent rival for a second conference game (20th overall) like Duke vs UNC. Schedule it so everyone goes out west once a year.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Michigan and Penn State already recruit well. I want Ga. Tech with a better contract getting boatloads more money a year to put towards facilities, recruiting and more importantly an NIL fund. That will improve our recruiting significantly. It's professional sports now. We may not be the Yankees but we aren't the damn Pirates or Royals either.

no, but no more than I want Georgia and Alabama or Tenn and Florida recruiting our targets. Recruiting isn’t as regional anymore, how many kids have we gotten verbals from who have 17-18 offers from all over the country.

it’s not gonna be about what the fans want anyway it’s gonna be about money.

I think it increases Techs appeal to be in a strong conference, which right now isn’t the ACC
I think it has become more regional. Kids don't want to be far away from Momma and kids in the South don't like the cold. Also since there are so many more choices, UCF, USF etc, the tweener kids are staying home. You can see this in the Big10. Ohio State draws but the rest of the conference is on the decline.

What would make us more appealing, add an SEC school to the schedule. Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, or Alabama. Make it tough but it would put buts in Grant Field.

The Big 10 has a large National audience because their average enrollment is around 50,000 per school. Those graduates go all over the country. The SEC is different in that many of their graduates stay close to home. Not a lot of opportunity in Michigan, Pennsylvania and even Ohio.

I think we are ACC for the long term. If FSU and Miami get back to their potential you will see more demand for ACC TV.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, this is the shift in landscape that finally makes ND *** or get off the pot. I'm not sure ND will reward the ACC for its kindness in giving their non-football sports a home the past few years. ND will either go B1G or join a monster SEC with Texas and OU. They know where the money will be, and it won't be in the ACC.

GT rewarded the ACC for rescuing us from the wilderness after leaving the SEC the last go around, but GT would be foolish to turn down the B1G again...that's IF the B1G doesn't hold a grudge and tell GT that ship has sailed. GT is a bigger piece of the puzzle than GT fans realize, but GT hasn't made many friends in the process. At the end of the day it's about business, and getting a school in a key southern market is nothing to pass up.

Clemson probably goes to the SEC...they've always been an SEC school in temperament and it's one of the most natural expansion marriages there is.

Duke and UNC are a tandem, and they probably don't leave the ACC without the other one. They're basically the king of the ACC, but how attractive is it to be a king of dying country?

UVA will probably be forced to take VT along with them wherever they end up because that's already happened.

FSU and Miami will be interesting. When they joined the ACC, they were two of the premier teams in the country, but the past decade has dimmed a LOT of what they built in the 90's and early 2000's. They're basically a shell of what they use to be living off of their old legacy. Would not be surprised if they went their separate ways during the next conference shift.

Crazy idea time: PAC 12 and ACC combine to form a "national" conference. Both have elite schools in their respective conference, and have blue blood programs in football and basketball. Both conferences have similar mission statements and academic values. Plus, East Coast versus West Coast would angle would be interesting. PAC12 is going through some issues right now, and a "reset" like this for ACC and PAC12 could be a game changer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Crazy idea time: PAC 12 and ACC combine to form a "national" conference. Both have elite schools in their respective conference, and have blue blood programs in football and basketball. Both conferences have similar mission statements and academic values. Plus, East Coast versus West Coast would angle would be interesting. PAC12 is going through some issues right now, and a "reset" like this for ACC and PAC12 could be a game changer.
In theory I like this. BUT, I'm not staying up till 2AM to see the entire game. Unless an even scheduling model can be presented, this is a no go.

Just kind of curious why you all think the ACC is dying. Is it from a standpoint of team strength or TV audience. For strength, it was not that long ago that the SEC was Alabama and everybody else. And for audience, the SEC just has a lot more larger schools. Tech, Wake, Duke BC are just not as big.

The ACC could get the TV if and when FSU and Miami get back to their power. Trust me having them and Clemson will draw. Used to be Miami and FSU was the most watched game in the country.

As for Tech, I just think we need to schedule different. Play an SEC team, as I said earlier and then add Navy and Army and flip them each year. I was always amazed how many fans they put in the stands. And yes some years we will be playing Clemson, ND UGA, SEC, and Navy or Army.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it has become more regional. Kids don't want to be far away from Momma and kids in the South don't like the cold. Also since there are so many more choices, UCF, USF etc, the tweener kids are staying home. You can see this in the Big10. Ohio State draws but the rest of the conference is on the decline.

What would make us more appealing, add an SEC school to the schedule. Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, or Alabama. Make it tough but it would put buts in Grant Field.

I personally would like to see more SEC teams on our schedule either way. It harkens back to the old southern football rivalry stuff.

But reading up on this, A&Ms position against accepting Texas into the SEC it looks like the SEC is trying to control their regional competition. If A&M is trying to control Texas and Georgia being against Ga Tech joining the SEC then the under lying SEC plan not being discussed is the smothering of the other conferences By the SEC. The SEC will only submit when the regional competition relents and joins. Until then it looks like The SEC is trying to deny in state rivals of The SEC prestige. The unique situation with Georgia and Tech is Georgia has the entire state and half of the Atlanta market as is, they don’t need to share anything with TECH nor does the SEC. I’d be surprised if the TECH-GA game survives this realignment. Right now The SEC feels well positioned in the south as a result they don’t want to be a ticket draw for non member schools. They are the poster child for joining them when you can’t beat them, as Texas and Oklahoma are proving.

Tech gains more in its competition for the Ga market to have Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Penn St etc.. visiting Atlanta than it does having Louisville, Wake, Duke or Syracuse if you exclude having the SEC teams in here.

If the ACC messes this up TECH has to get out fast

I personally would like to see more SEC teams on our schedule either way. It harkens back to the old southern football rivalry stuff.

But reading up on this, A&Ms position against accepting Texas into the SEC it looks like the SEC is trying to control their regional competition. If A&M is trying to control Texas and Georgia being against Ga Tech joining the SEC then the under lying SEC plan not being discussed is the smothering of the other conferences By the SEC. The SEC will only submit when the regional competition relents and joins. Until then it looks like The SEC is trying to deny in state rivals of The SEC prestige. The unique situation with Georgia and Tech is Georgia has the entire state and half of the Atlanta market as is, they don’t need to share anything with TECH nor does the SEC. I’d be surprised if the TECH-GA game survives this realignment. Right now The SEC feels well positioned in the south as a result they don’t want to be a ticket draw for non member schools. They are the poster child for joining them when you can’t beat them, as Texas and Oklahoma are proving.

Tech gains more in its competition for the Ga market to have Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Penn St etc.. visiting Atlanta than it does having Louisville, Wake, Duke or Syracuse if you exclude having the SEC teams in here.

If the ACC messes this up TECH has to get out fast
I see what you are saying but I will tell you, I have no desire to watch us play those schools. Also you can bet our fans will not travel. If this is where it is all headed and the rivalry and passion is gone....Then College Football is Dead.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nobody who is currently in the SEC or B1G will be leaving unless they get forced out, which I don’t see happening either.
Michigan and Penn State already recruit well. I want Ga. Tech with a better contract getting boatloads more money a year to put towards facilities, recruiting and more importantly an NIL fund. That will improve our recruiting significantly.
This is a common argument re: GT joining the B1G, but it doesn’t really make any sense. Sure, GT would have more revenue to spend, but the new competition would also have more money, and they would all have head starts. If GT is being out spent by the likes of Wake Forest, Duke, UVA, and NC State with the current ACC media contract, what makes anyone think we could keep up with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.? The extra money dedicated to facility upgrades and recruit would yield negligible results when the competition already has access to it. It would be like joining a Monopoly game after everyone else has already purchased all the properties on the board. Sure you get an entry payment, but everyone else has already had time to invest their payments.