Expansion Talk 2021

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would we push Duke out? The ACC is the best basketball conference, we don't wanna lose that

Football is king and Duke is already starting to lag. Neither Duke or NC are who they were, Coach K leaving reduces Duke even more. Wait until The SEC signs a TV contract worth 60 mil per school. Another reason ? ND and Baylor are bigger than Duke or a Wake Forest, it’s about branding now, The ACC cannot get stuck bringing in Kansas or the likes, they go big or go home. They also have to cut identity related to small branded schools. Duke nor Wake will ever be big enough to enhance the ACC. I see little drop off if any in basketball Money going forward by bringing in Baylor and dropping Duke. Who are the 2021 NCAA basketball champions ?

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
SEC POD speculation on the SEC network

POD1 -Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy
POD2 - Florida, Georgia, So Carolina, Kentucky
POD3 - Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, Texas A&M
POD4 - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mizzou

Play your POD every year. Play 2 of the 4 teams in the other PODs. You will host and visit the other 12 teams once each every four years. Honestly, that alignment where you play teams more often is way better than the current nonsense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
SEC POD speculation on the SEC network

POD1 -Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy
POD2 - Florida, Georgia, So Carolina, Kentucky
POD3 - Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, Texas A&M
POD4 - Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mizzou

Play your POD every year. Play 2 of the 4 teams in the other PODs. You will host and visit the other 12 teams once each every four years. Honestly, that alignment where you play teams more often is way better than the current nonsense.

like I said UGA will avoid Bama all they can, how do these other SEC schools just accept that Bama is on their schdule every year AS others avoid them ? It drives us crazy that we have to play Clemson every year while others don’t. Can you imagine being Vandy in that pod scenario ? Forget ever building your program, even if your team is better it’s still screwed.

this pod scenario also is a best case for Ga. their automatics are SC and Kentucky

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Sec network is pushing a pod format, actually like this a lot. Would guarantee you see every team at home over four years, which is way better than the current format. I don’t think uga has gone to Texas A&M yet

The ACC has attempted several times to get approval for a pod format. The other P5 conferences have voted against it.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Just watched Finnbaum talk about this. I was skeptical that there was anything too this rumor but after watching him, I think this is going to happen. We better be working the phones Now, because when they move the Big 12 is toast.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just watched Finnbaum talk about this. I was skeptical that there was anything too this rumor but after watching him, I think this is going to happen. We better be working the phones Now, because when they move the Big 12 is toast.
Where would the other Big 12 schools go?

The PAC-12 might take four teams and the B1G might take a couple. WV is not a good fit with Michigan, tOSU, etc. The big mystery is whether this motivates ND to join a football conference. They have more natural rivalries in the B1G than in the ACC.

I could see Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, and OSU joining the PAC-12. Kansas doesn't fit with B1G football and I wonder if its premier basketball history is enough to entice the football focused conference. One thing is almost certain, there would be no worry about KU stealing a slot in the CFP. I could see K State and Iowa State being forced to join one of the G5 conferences. Where does that leave WV?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I've always said that Navy would be a great option for the 16th team as it functions as a carrot for ND. The one rivalry they refuse to drop is Navy. Having them be a permanent conference crossover might be a great lure for getting ND to finally commit.
I’ve been a proponent of Navy also. Penn St and Vanderbilt would fit the footprint, but I doubt they leave.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
how or why do other conferences have control over another’s format, aren’t they essentially scheduling tools ?
There is a rule that used to say that a conference can only have a conference championship game if it has two divisions and the top team from each division play each other. The P5 modified that language a few years ago for the Big12. The ACC again petitioned to have the language changed such that each conference can determine how to pick the teams in the conference championship, so the ACC could set up a pod system. The other P5 schools voted to change the language such that the conference has to have two division champions, or every team play every team in the conference round robin to pick the two teams for the conference championship.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody wants the rest of the Big 12 schools. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. That's why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving.

Big 12 will be forced to limp on, probably by adding Houston and BYU at least to get back to 10.

There's no incentive or reason for anyone else to do anything. There are no more Texases and Oklahomas left that bring any value.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe we should try to switch conferences with Kentucky. It makes more sense geographically and UK is a basketball-first school, and they get to be in a conference with their rival.

Looking at this from an SEC standpoint...it could be bad for some teams. I saw the POD concept but that would require some rivalries like UGA Auburn to go away.

A different look would mean re-alignment based on Geography.

SEC West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Missouri
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss St
Arkansas

SEC East
UGA
USC
Florida
Tenn.
Ky
Vandy
Alabama
Auburn

This would allow to go to a 9 game conference schedule adding 2 from the other side.
It preserves UGA Florida and UGA Auburn and Alabama Tennessee
It brings back Texas Texas A&M

Also of course Tenn Vandy and Ole Miss Miss St remain

But as long as Saban is there...It will be Alabama from the East facing who ever from the West. It could also hurt the SEC if the playoff expanded because you will have the likelihood of a lot of 2 loss teams.
But hey....money talks.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looking at this from an SEC standpoint...it could be bad for some teams. I saw the POD concept but that would require some rivalries like UGA Auburn to go away.

A different look would mean re-alignment based on Geography.

SEC West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Missouri
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss St
Arkansas

SEC East
UGA
USC
Florida
Tenn.
Ky
Vandy
Alabama
Auburn

This would allow to go to a 9 game conference schedule adding 3 from the other side.
It preserves UGA Florida and UGA Auburn and Alabama Tennessee
It brings back Texas Texas A&M

Also of course Tenn Vandy and Ole Miss Miss St remain

But as long as Saban is there...It will be Alabama from the East facing who ever from the West. It could also hurt the SEC if the playoff expanded because you will have the likelihood of a lot of 2 loss teams.
But hey....money talks.
I agree that money talks. And people listen. But rivalries are very important to the fans who donate money.

I like the two division setup better from a fan standpoint. I like the Pod setup for balance.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Did I miss something like the ACC rescinding the GOR agreement? If not, it's highly doubtful any ACC Team is going anywhere in the near future. All the conference schools voted for it and IIRC it currently runs through 2035-36? I'd assume it will rollover in connection with the ESPN contract, soooo, No ACC school is going anywhere anytime soon. Unless of course another conference wants to pony up about 350M to poach a single team. That's a lot of $ to make up for, even in todays dollars.

Did I miss something like the ACC rescinding the GOR agreement? If not, it's highly doubtful any ACC Team is going anywhere in the near future. All the conference schools voted for it and IIRC it currently runs through 2035-36? I'd assume it will rollover in connection with the ESPN contract, soooo, No ACC school is going anywhere anytime soon. Unless of course another conference wants to pony up about 350M to poach a single team. That's a lot of $ to make up for, even in todays dollars.
And the other item to consider is ACC Basketball. Not as big of a money maker but still a consideration. The SEC is not exactly a strong conference.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
There it is! I kept reading through this thread and kept wondering. Whjy no one mentioned GOR

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Texas has its on GOR to deal with, the current thinking is that the SEC would help bid out of that agreement, meaning the conference would essentially pay part of a buy out, no reason The Big 10 couldn’t do that for an ACC school they wanted.