Expansion Talk 2021

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Some say one day that one day there will only be 4 conferences with 16 to 20 teams so the Big12 or ACC will be gone . Which one is the question, and understand right now the Big12 's payout is better, the think that hurts them is Texas everyone in the Big12 hates them.
There are only 5 conferences, hence the "Power 5" moniker. The ACC will stand with Big10 and SEC and Pac12. How will the Big 12 survive with the 2 largest (less if ok st and another leave)? The ACC will survive calm yourselves.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
When I think about who would be the 16th school if ND agrees to a full member, here are some of the ideas I have:

West Virginia - In sports they would be great, but 454th ranked? If Snidely is correct, that may be lower than DeVry.
UCF - It's the largest university in Florida, but more similar to Georgia State and uga. Huge medical school. Doesn't add much to sports or TV
Cincinnati - Would be a good pick and add a nice TV market.
ECU - UNC and NC State would never allow them in.

There are not a lot of great choices from a football standpoint. We will never raid the SEC or B1G. Even if Maryland begged us to let them rejoin it would never happen.

I've always said that Navy would be a great option for the 16th team as it functions as a carrot for ND. The one rivalry they refuse to drop is Navy. Having them be a permanent conference crossover might be a great lure for getting ND to finally commit.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Sec network is pushing a pod format, actually like this a lot. Would guarantee you see every team at home over four years, which is way better than the current format. I don’t think uga has gone to Texas A&M yet

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Sec network is pushing a pod format, actually like this a lot. Would guarantee you see every team at home over four years, which is way better than the current format. I don’t think uga has gone to Texas A&M yet

So then there is a playoff with each pods winner to play in the $ec champ and THEN another round of playoffs for the Natty? Getting close to NFL number of games, which since the players are getting paid now isn't the worst thing.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I know, unfortunate. And we probably won’t blow up their campus or raze it either. Sad. If we’d just take Coach Cutcliffe out into the middle of the ocean and push him overboard it would at least be a start.
Why are duke coaches such hate-able douchbags? I hate ratface with the fire of 1000 suns and wouldnt piss on cuntcliff if he was on fire lol

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When I think about who would be the 16th school if ND agrees to a full member, here are some of the ideas I have:

West Virginia - In sports they would be great, but 454th ranked? If Snidely is correct, that may be lower than DeVry.
UCF - It's the largest university in Florida, but more similar to Georgia State and uga. Huge medical school. Doesn't add much to sports or TV

There are not a lot of great choices from a football standpoint. We will never raid the SEC or B1G. Even if Maryland begged us to let them rejoin it would never happen.
Lets go for Stanford, what the hell

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

ECU would be about 80th on the list of potential choices. WVU brings absolutely nothing.

If we want to think outside of the box, how about Houston? Biggest TV market available. But there would be no team even close to them. Louisville is their rival/travel partner?

Aim for Texas and see what happens. Look at Oklahoma State (before Kansas or K-State). Look at Baylor.

Get ESPN involved since it's their TV contract.

GT_EE78

Banned
I've always said that Navy would be a great option for the 16th team as it functions as a carrot for ND. The one rivalry they refuse to drop is Navy. Having them be a permanent conference crossover might be a great lure for getting ND to finally commit.
I like that,then we could have 4 pods too!

Climp'sun
Notre Dame
Miami
FSU

Ga Tech
Navy
Duke
Wake F

NC
NC State
UVA
VT

Louisville
Pitt
BC
that other Big East school

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
So then there is a playoff with each pods winner to play in the $ec champ and THEN another round of playoffs for the Natty? Getting close to NFL number of games, which since the players are getting paid now isn't the worst thing.
Probably just the top two teams regardless of pod. No conference playoffs

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I like that,then we could have 4 pods too!

Climp'sun
Notre Dame
Miami
FSU

Ga Tech
Navy
Duke
Wake F

NC
NC State
UVA
VT

Louisville
Pitt
BC
that other Big East school
I love the pod format in theory, but I will be very against the pod format if we’re going to get stuck in a Duke + Wake Forest pod.

Clemson is our protected rival in the ACC and the best competition in the conference. Any plan that has us playing in a pod away from Clemson / isn’t protecting that Rivalry is something I’d strongly oppose as a fan.

I’d rather play the toughest ACC schedule every season because that’s how you catch eyes. And the pod system should be based on geography; add Notre Dame and they should be in the pod with the old big East / schools further north than the Florida schools and Clemson, and putting all of the power in one pod would be unhealthy for the ACC on a macro level.

Give me a Clemson, Miami, FSU/VT, and GT pod and I’ll be thrilled.

slugboy

Staff member
Interesting set of "facts"
  1. Missouri and Texas A&M are both in the "Hard NO" camp. Two more votes kill SEC admission
  2. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State "might" need to go as a pair because of state legislature
  3. Texas and Oklahoma have informed the 10 member Big12 that they don't intend to renew their media rights with the conference (i.e. they seem to be serious about going)
This does look like it has some legs to it.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Interesting set of "facts"
  1. Missouri and Texas A&M are both in the "Hard NO" camp. Two more votes kill SEC admission
  2. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State "might" need to go as a pair because of state legislature
  3. Texas and Oklahoma have informed the 10 member Big12 that they don't intend to renew their media rights with the conference (i.e. they seem to be serious about going)
This does look like it has some legs to it.

A lot of people think # 2 is going to wind up being unenforceable, for whatever reason. Just what I've been reading.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
OK and Ok State could play as out of conf rivals every year, it shouldn’t matter if they are in diff conferences.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
A&M and MO better watch their backs, SEC would kick them to the curb in a heartbeat to get TX and OK i bet

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an interesting take.

If those teams are in play, I would bet Georgia will fight to not be in the same division as Alabama. Auburn is their crossover so Alabama would be their only add. But obviously changes the equation with Alabama.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this will come down to money. If the SEC and Big 10 are well above everyone else in revenue, teams will be clamoring to get in those conferences. The big key for the ACC is to find someway to up the TV rights significantly to start closing the revenue gap. With NIL in play, schools will be competing with their own players for funds so revenue becomes even more crucial. The other reality is anything over 16 teams becomes incredibly difficult for any conference to manage. So I do think if this thing plays out both the Big 10 and SEC will be able to pick and choose which schools they want to potentially widen the gap on revenue. The big key to the ACC is clearly to capture Notre Dame. I think the TV revenue can be sorted out with Notre Dame but the ego of being a national program for both exposure and recruitment will be tough to overcome (particularly in the playoffs are expanding to 12 teams).