Expansion Talk 2021

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Without Texas and OU there really isn't a Big 12 any longer. Notice that the Big 12 is really just 10 teams. I cannot imagine the TV contract with ESPN and Fox will survive the loss of those two teams. FWIW, the current TV contract ends in 2025 and ESPN and Fox have refused to begin early negotiations with the Big 12.

I cannot believe the other eight programs will sit back waiting to see what happens here. Baylor and Oklahoma State are not going to do nothing. Same with Kansas and WV. Where does this leave Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU, etc.?

Deleted member 2897

Why would we push Duke out? The ACC is the best basketball conference, we don't wanna lose that

Whst place was Duke in basketball last year - 10th? They’re a has been, especially with Lance Armstrong retiring. In the last 25 years, they were dead last in the entire conference in football half the time. In fairness, we probably need a couple more years of data points to prove basketball is on the decline.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whst place was Duke in basketball last year - 10th? They’re a has been, especially with Lance Armstrong retiring. In the last 25 years, they were dead last in the entire conference in football half the time. In fairness, we probably need a couple more years of data points to prove basketball is on the decline.
Duke is not leaving the ACC. And the ACC will not push them out.

Deleted member 2897

Duke is not leaving the ACC. And the ACC will not push them out.

I know, unfortunate. And we probably won’t blow up their campus or raze it either. Sad. If we’d just take Coach Cutcliffe out into the middle of the ocean and push him overboard it would at least be a start.

BleedingWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
My guess is the SEC takes them, knowing if they don’t the two will start talks with the Big 10. Few teams move the needle like Texas. I don’t see this really affecting the ACC other than the fact that the SEC will push for pods or some sort of scheduling agreement. It will makes the little 8 a non power 5. So we don’t really need to worry that anACC team will miss the new playoff. I know people don’t like WV but I would of preferred them over Louisville. Wish the guarantee of rights wasn’t in place at that time.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is an interesting topic for speculation.

I see the three strongest conferences are the SEC, the B1G, and the Pac-12 (for geographic reasons). No one will successfully raid teams from those three. So, the ACC and Big 12 are the at risk groups. If the ACC can get ND to join 100% the ACC is solid even if not as strong as the other three. Without ND it could fall apart.

If consolidation happens, and I have my doubts, I think Texas joins A&M in the SEC along with Oklahoma and Okla State. The 4th team might be Baylor. Those are the strongest ties in the Big 12. Kansas, KSU, Iowa St, etc would be out begging. Kansas might join the Big East for basketball.

If the ACC can keep ND (maybe this round of consolidation will change minds in South Bend) I think the ACC adds West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF, and maybe UConn (the 4th school is a huge question mark for me). It will not be ECU or App State.

If ND decides to remain independent (or to join the B1G), the ACC could fall apart. Clemson, and FSU could leave. Maybe Pitt and VT would join the Big 12 along with rival WV.

But, a huge question is whether a conference with more than 16 teams is competitively viable.

I'm hoping this (along with a new ACC commissioner) puts pressure on ND to join fully. I don't think the ACC is too at risk to fully fall apart because of UNC and Duke (pretty much a package deal wherever they go and are still basketball powerhouses). Whatever expansions the ACC does chase will be based 90% on TV contract additions vs academic fit/athletic fit though. That's the only way to even try to keep up.

SEC will effectively be full though at 16 teams. You can't really add more without moving to pods (unlikely due to rivalries/yearly games), and I don't think Oklahoma St. and Baylor would be big enough additions to warrant that. People worried about Clemson or FSU joining forget that uGA, USC, and UF effectively have a pact to block those teams (and us) so that they're the only SEC teams in the state.

I think without the CFP expansion, Oklahoma and Texas would be less likely to join because they had an easier path to the playoff before (still would be slightly harder with the move, but not as hard without the expansion).

But I do love what the idea of moving Alabama to the east does to uGA's national championship odds perennially.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We're going to Circle back eventually to the SEC East being primarily the old SEC and the SEC West being the Big 8. Now if the ACC would divide up divisions as the old ACC and old Big East. And divisions don't cross over except in championship games because they're too damn big
Honestly what is the point of such large conferences? I mean we rarely play some cross division teams unless it's the acccg or due to covid. It's just silliness. You're absolutely right, at this point they will just become sub conferences.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Let's not be like uga fans and complain about a rival doing well. (Do you hear them complaining about playing in jax each year no that they are winning the majority of tha games?) Eventually clempson will fall from the mountain top and well still have a winning record over them.

Deleted member 2897

Let's not be like uga fans and complain about a rival doing well. (Do you hear them complaining about playing in jax each year no that they are winning the majority of tha games?) Eventually clempson will fall from the mountain top and well still have a winning record over them.

Yea some people complain that Clemson has beat us 6 straight, but that's what pretty much every other team on the planet has been dealing with over that time. Meanwhile, we have beat them 8 times in the last like 17-18 years. We once beat them 15 straight and 28 out of 30 years (LOLOLOLOL). And to your point, we have a 50-32 advantage in the series.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As far as expansion talk you look at the money first. With that why would anyone in the Big 10 want to come to the ACC, for a payout cut ? I'm not sure but I thought the only conference we paid better than was the PAC10 ( I have not looked it up ) . I think if expansion happens again it would kill the ACC , Fact is the SEC and Big 10 rule with payouts . Some say one day that one day there will only be 4 conferences with 16 to 20 teams so the Big12 or ACC will be gone . Which one is the question, and understand right now the Big12 's payout is better, the think that hurts them is Texas everyone in the Big12 hates them.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I propose we just scrap all current conferences and make new ones. The conferences were named and constructed based off geography and now include schools not based in said geographical location. Its dumb. Texas is definitely not in the south east. Neither is Texas A&M. Mizzou is also a stretch.

Kentucky is not on the coast anywhere. It's getting ridiculous with these realignments lol

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Honestly what is the point of such large conferences?

Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I think about who would be the 16th school if ND agrees to a full member, here are some of the ideas I have:

West Virginia - In sports they would be great, but 454th ranked? If Snidely is correct, that may be lower than DeVry.
UCF - It's the largest university in Florida, but more similar to Georgia State and uga. Huge medical school. Doesn't add much to sports or TV
Cincinnati - Would be a good pick and add a nice TV market.
ECU - UNC and NC State would never allow them in.

There are not a lot of great choices from a football standpoint. We will never raid the SEC or B1G. Even if Maryland begged us to let them rejoin it would never happen.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
When I think about who would be the 16th school if ND agrees to a full member, here are some of the ideas I have:

West Virginia - In sports they would be great, but 454th ranked? If Snidely is correct, that may be lower than DeVry.
UCF - It's the largest university in Florida, but more similar to Georgia State and uga. Huge medical school. Doesn't add much to sports or TV
Cincinnati - Would be a good pick and add a nice TV market.
ECU - UNC and NC State would never allow them in.

There are not a lot of great choices from a football standpoint. We will never raid the SEC or B1G. Even if Maryland begged us to let them rejoin it would never happen.

Kansas is being talked about. Not a fan of that idea. I know we are starting to throw geography out the window, but that's a bit much.