Expansion Talk 2021

slugboy

Staff member
With Oklahoma and Texas inquiring about the $ec, how hard does the ACC go after PSU, OSU, Michigan and ND(already in our sight according to commish)?
Dude, we’re here to talk about novels and great literature.

ernest hemingway GIF by US National Archives

For what it’s worth, Texas A&M and Missouri are both hard “no”, Ole Miss and Miss State are probably also both no, and four no votes are enough to kill it. It would be tight to get the votes. Oklahoma can’t go without Oklahoma State (the Oklahoma legislature will kill it). However, Texas is looking for a home outside the B12. I don’t think Texas would end up in the ACC, but it’s not impossible. B1G would fit them if they could get it.

I don’t think that will affect our record this year.

At the ACC Media Days, Collins is all positive. I haven’t pulled anything from that meeting that would change my perceptions on the season, other that Eley is bigger than I thought.

Last edited:

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
With Oklahoma and Texas inquiring about the $ec, how hard does the ACC go after PSU, OSU, Michigan and ND(already in our sight according to commish)?

Probably the other way around. SEC would probably take Clemson, FSU, NC State, and VT and the B1G would take UVA, UNC, GT, Miami?, ND, and god knows what else.

What's the point of a 16 team conference? It's really two conferences and then a championship game. The SECW will be Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, LSU, MSU, Ole Piss. Arkansas and Missouri? The SECE would be Florida, Georgia, SC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vandy, Alabama, and Auburn?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Dude, we’re here to talk about novels and great literature.

ernest hemingway GIF by US National Archives

For what it’s worth, Texas A&M and Missouri are both hard “no”, Ole Miss and Miss State are probably also both no, and four no votes are enough to kill it. It would be tight to get the votes. Oklahoma can’t go without Oklahoma State (the Oklahoma legislature will kill it). However, Texas is looking for a home outside the B12. I don’t think Texas would end up in the ACC, but it’s not impossible. B1G would fit them if they could get it.

I don’t think that will affect our record this year.

At the ACC Media Days, Collins is all positive. I haven’t pulled anything from that meeting that would change my perceptions on the season, other that Eley is bigger than I thought.
If we can find the degrees of separation between Saul Bellow and Philip Roth I believe we can squeeze both Notre Dame and Texas into the ACC.

Just the magnitude of this rumor will have everyone playing out of their minds this season and we will go to a bowl.

🤪

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Probably the other way around. SEC would probably take Clemson, FSU, NC State, and VT and the B1G would take UVA, UNC, GT, Miami?, ND, and god knows what else.

What's the point of a 16 team conference? It's really two conferences and then a championship game. The SECW will be Oklahoma, Texas, A&M, LSU, MSU, Ole Piss. Arkansas and Missouri? The SECE would be Florida, Georgia, SC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vandy, Alabama, and Auburn?
This is an interesting topic for speculation.

I see the three strongest conferences are the SEC, the B1G, and the Pac-12 (for geographic reasons). No one will successfully raid teams from those three. So, the ACC and Big 12 are the at risk groups. If the ACC can get ND to join 100% the ACC is solid even if not as strong as the other three. Without ND it could fall apart.

If consolidation happens, and I have my doubts, I think Texas joins A&M in the SEC along with Oklahoma and Okla State. The 4th team might be Baylor. Those are the strongest ties in the Big 12. Kansas, KSU, Iowa St, etc would be out begging. Kansas might join the Big East for basketball.

If the ACC can keep ND (maybe this round of consolidation will change minds in South Bend) I think the ACC adds West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF, and maybe UConn (the 4th school is a huge question mark for me). It will not be ECU or App State.

If ND decides to remain independent (or to join the B1G), the ACC could fall apart. Clemson, and FSU could leave. Maybe Pitt and VT would join the Big 12 along with rival WV.

But, a huge question is whether a conference with more than 16 teams is competitively viable.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
That’s the great thing about Tech being in the ATL. We would be a big draw for the Big10 to get the southern market and the eyeballs of all their Alumni transplants. I think we can shake out a winner no matter what. If we are asked again I think we should probably jump on it. Their payouts are larger and there is good basketball in the Big10 as well.

Everyone used to hate everyone else in their conference and now you have to pull for other members as if they are your team. I don’t care about the ACC. Chase the $$$$$$

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That’s the great thing about Tech being in the ATL. We would be a big draw for the Big10 to get the southern market and the eyeballs of all their Alumni transplants. I think we can shake out a winner no matter what. If we are asked again I think we should probably jump on it. Their payouts are larger and there is good basketball in the Big10 as well.

Everyone used to hate everyone else in their conference and now you have to pull for other members as if they are your team. I don’t care about the ACC. Chase the $$$$$$
Interesting POV.

I think the SEC would not be as aggressive going after GT as the B1G. They already have a presence in the ATL market. The UNC/Duke.NC State trio would also be attractive to the B1G. If the ACC starts to fold, I think VT, FSU, Clemson and Miami are headed to the SEC if possible. But, this will be an intense bidding war. The ATL media market will be on the positive side for GT.

Edit: The SEC may want GT for no other reason than to keep the B1G out of ATL.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would highly doubt the ACC could pull anyone out of the B1G. Of course you try for PSU or OSU but OSU only goes with Mich. PSU overlaps markets with Pitt.

IF IF IF, the SEC goes for Texas and Oklahoma, I would think the ACC goes after ND (obviously) and West Virginia. Then the race is on to keep current members from jumping to B1G.

With that in mind, GT would be a big target for B1G. Do we entertain the idea of jumping ship for the B1G? If so, then I think ACC goes after TCU to fill that spot. Then B1G would go after maybe a Syracuse or BC maybe? Possibly Louisville?

Obviously this blows up the Big 12. I think the remaining teams would merge with the upper class of Mountain West and maybe a Sun Belt or two. Possibly create something new entirely.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would highly doubt the ACC could pull anyone out of the B1G. Of course you try for PSU or OSU but OSU only goes with Mich. PSU overlaps markets with Pitt.

IF IF IF, the SEC goes for Texas and Oklahoma, I would think the ACC goes after ND (obviously) and West Virginia. Then the race is on to keep current members from jumping to B1G.

With that in mind, GT would be a big target for B1G. Do we entertain the idea of jumping ship for the B1G? If so, then I think ACC goes after TCU to fill that spot. Then B1G would go after maybe a Syracuse or BC maybe? Possibly Louisville?

Obviously this blows up the Big 12. I think the remaining teams would merge with the upper class of Mountain West and maybe a Sun Belt or two. Possibly create something new entirely.
I don't believe the B1G would come after Tech. again.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
And let’s not forget how the ACC has us basically screwed playing Clemson on the other side every year. We should at least be asking to have a balance as far as scheduling or threaten to walk.

I’m a few beers deep but F the ACC.

And the NCAA while we’re at it. I kinda think the SEC is trying to make a power play due to the fact that the NCAA is a lame duck. Trying to go all in on being the premier football conference and not have to kowtow to anyone.

Deleted member 2897

This is an interesting topic for speculation.

I see the three strongest conferences are the SEC, the B1G, and the Pac-12 (for geographic reasons).

Im glad you put the geographical caveat in there, since the PAC-12 stopped playing football a long time ago.

So to consider, it is not just a football thing. Basketball figures in and the current ACC is still number 1. Frankly I see a different change where the Big 12 splinters and becomes something similar to what it was. If ND stays independent they will continue to be on the margin in a world of super conferences.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't believe the B1G would come after Tech. again.
Atlanta market is too big to just pass up. Why not try again? Pride? With the SEC at 16 members, that’ll be the new race. No other team is attainable and breaks them into the southern market like we do. This would give them a bigger incentive plus they already got NYC with Rutgers last time.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
GT would be attractive to the B1G because of Atlanta. UNC, Duke, and UVA would be too, IMO.

The ACC is not going to add UConn. Ever. Period. They would only add Cincinnati out of pure desperation. I don't see them adding UCF either but dominating Florida isn't a bad thing. And they've had decades to add WVU and don't want them. WVU brings nothing except a round number to 16.

If the new ACC Commissioner is smart, he will be on the phone with Texas trying to get a Texas/ND pair and let Oklahoma go to the SEC with Oklahoma State. Adding both ND and Texas would certainly put our TV deal on par with anyone elses.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

and UGA would still somehow skip Bama 8 out of 10 years

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless it’s a test to judge realignment responses by the SEC, my understanding is that it was Texas and Oklahoma who initiated contact with the SEC. If true the picture is different. Some SEC schools may not like it but that would change when the TV contract is done and the shares are estimated.

The ACC could add by subtracting and stay competitive. They could essentially nudge Wake Forest and Duke out and ND and Baylor in. To me the key in ACC movement would be adding name brands, ND and Baylor do that and keep the ACCs academic reputation in tact. The ACC has to attract higher profile schools to compete in the TV contract arena. They cannot keep small schools in medium markets and survive. If not ND and Baylor they need to mine the Big 10, I’m talking Penn St, Perdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin or even Iowa.

If I’m Tech it’s time to stick your toe in the water and judge your market value. If Texas and Oklahoma leave the big 12 is gonna need the Atlanta market, if not them then hello Big 10