Exercise for Miami prep

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we have had times where we stunk to high heaven in a game then played sharp and looked like a totally different team the next game. But I can't think of an example. Can any of y'all remember examples?

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
offense was atrocious against Duke in 2014 but really good the next week vs UNC. unfortunately the defense didnt show up that day. Both units showed up in the next game against Pitt.

BYU handled us pretty well in 2013 and we turned around and 56-0d Syracuse in the next game

unranked Miami beat us soundly in 2011 when we were ranked and we took down #5 Clemson the next week

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this. CPJ has been reasonably calm after the Clemson debacle. He hasn't shredded our guys or offered extended takes on the failures of specific units on offense as he has in the past after horrible performances.

Gonna be interesting to see how he handles the offense against Miami.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
offense was atrocious against Duke in 2014 but really good the next week vs UNC. unfortunately the defense didnt show up that day. Both units showed up in the next game against Pitt.

BYU handled us pretty well in 2013 and we turned around and 56-0d Syracuse in the next game

unranked Miami beat us soundly in 2011 when we were ranked and we took down #5 Clemson the next week

Fight, I think the Miami/Clemson thing is maybe the one which most stands out to me. That is probably the best example. Maybe this week we do it again, but in reverse order.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
College football is an emotional game and it's not uncommon to see a proud team get smoked one game then circle the wagons and beat the next guys when everyone is kicking them around the gutter.

I like the match up of our D vs Miami's O in general. The are a pro-style team who likes to run to set up the pass. Kaya is a very good QB who can make you pay for overplaying the run, so that's different from the Vandy situation. Their WRs will have serious wheels and quicks and it's going to be a challenge, particularly if we can't get a rush on.

IMO, our offense is going to need to move the ball and eat up clock so we can stay rested on D, and frustrate their offense by keeping it on the sideline. I expect the offense to encounter adversity as per Clemson and how it responds will be key. Manny Diaz is a pretty good DC and Miami has some athletes so it will be interesting to see if we can grind it out and hit some big passes. It will be harder for our speed guys to generate big plays vs Miami, so we need consistency.

I do believe our guys are going to show out much better than vs CU. Whether that will be enough to knock off Miami I don't know. The offense is still struggling to find its groove, and the D is good at times but still inconsistent. Hopefully we are practicing well and getting a lot fixed on both sides of the ball....our guys should be motivated.