Execution

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Also, if we can’t establish the dive, it makes everything else so much harder. Dive depends on the OL getting push. Another big problem was getting tackled from the backside. We have to be faster than that defender and we were not. Part of the problem was not TM’s. After two weeks of having all kinds of room and time to see and decide, now there’s no room and no time. Who’s fault is that?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Also, if we can’t establish the dive, it makes everything else so much harder. Dive depends on the OL getting push. Another big problem was getting tackled from the backside. We have to be faster than that defender and we were not. Part of the problem was not TM’s. After two weeks of having all kinds of room and time to see and decide, now there’s no room and no time. Who’s fault is that?
As John McKay head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers said in 1977 when asked about his team's execution he said "I'm all for it":LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This game played out exactly as I feared it would. I tried to warn you guys but nobody wanted to listen.
Brin
Teaching/coaching. Duke has literally done the same thing the past 6 seasons and I believe they've won 4 of those last 5. That's just hard headed-ness and not teaching. I think it's an understatement actually, he's getting absolutely WAXED by Cutcliffe.

Thoughts?

Edit: just want to point out this post was in relation to a direct question from a different thread that was merged with this one (and it should have been btw). It wasn't me just ranting at the sky...that will probably come this afternoon.
At half time, Coach Cutliffe was asked about his defense and he said to the effect: "... stop the dive and run to the perimeter. Its not that hard" No it is not when you can put 8 people within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with absolutely no respect for our receivers or the ability of the quarterbacks to complete a pass.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
the officiating was some of the worst I’ve seen in 30 years of watching Tech football.

To be clear, we would have lost even if the refs were good.

They are solely responsible for the fight before the half. They chose multiple times not to throw flags when duke players were trying to start fights. The officials job should be to keep the players safe and they did the opposite today.

Additionally, why did Vic get tossed and not the duke player? He charged Vic, and Vic beat his ***. But that’s a risk you take when you’re attacking someone.... you might lose. He should’ve been tossed too.

From the stands, it appeared Taquans fumble was not a fumble. Can anyone opine?

Milwaukee

Banned
You're 100% wrong. There was a lot of crying in the chat about the officiating as well. From the very beginning of any sporting event you can tell how the officials are gonna call the game (are they gonna let em play or call it tight); it was obvious how the game was being called and we didn't react until Vic finally showed a pulse. Had he not thrown punches he wouldn't have been tossed. The extra he did up to that point was spot on. Hell I'm not even mad that he threw punches and got tossed if I'm being honest.

Taquon fumbled.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well this one was tough. My wife and I are expecting a daughter any day now (due date was 10/11) so I can’t even drink bourbon to salve the wound. Gotta be ready to drive if contractions start.

Durn. Just straight up durn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't let the pregnancy get in the way of your bourbon my jolly good fellow! There's Uber that can get her to the hospital for cheap if needed and you can get there when you sober up and all the real messy work is done! Show up with balloons, flowers and a teddy bear and all will be forgiven. (please note: I would not condone the drinking IF you were pregnant. After all, there are reasons to temporarily stop drinking... but other people's pregnancies ain't one of them).

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Brin

At half time, Coach Cutliffe was asked about his defense and he said to the effect: "... stop the dive and run to the perimeter. Its not that hard" No it is not when you can put 8 people within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage with absolutely no respect for our receivers or the ability of the quarterbacks to complete a pass.

I too believed that this was a game that screamed for passing the ball. CPJ had said many times in the past that 'some games' would belong to and depend on the wide receivers and as I watched Duke's defensive lineup I kept thinking isn't this one of those 'some games' and why aren't we throwing the ball a lot more to attack this defensive scheme. Thought it was a bit pigheaded to insist on running and not fake the run and throw it over the top against that lineup.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Know it's a bit off-topic, but hey, after a disappointing game...

upload_2018-10-13_16-37-48.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Both sides were chippy long before the fight happened. If there is something to complain about the officials it was letting that stuff go. But it wasn't just one side though.

On the actual "fight" people need to go back and watch again, especially from the angle used on the replay. VA for whatever reason threw a punch at a guy on the ground. That's what caused the helmet to come off. The duke player didn't get tossed because he didn't throw a punch while VA did. It's at about the 1:15 mark on the video on the espn page for GT.

Replay showed that TM did fumble before the knee was down.