Execution

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
N
They don't lack size but the whole point a lot of tech fans want to state is that our 3*s are outmanned by 4*s and 5*s. I'm not going to look into what the star rating for Navys offensive line is but they have 2-Sr 2-Jr and 1-So. While we are starting 1-Sr, 2-Jr, and 2-So. So not much difference in experience. Technique is where I am seeing the largest difference. Some of our best OL had to use technique to defeat someone who was more athletic. Look at what Sean Bedford was for us. Not a big guy at all but a true technician.
no reason navy should run the offense better than us.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think teams are just playing us much more aggressively downhill. They don't respect the passing game if we don't hit some completions early so they are crashing up hard and there are either more guys than we can block or we can get to the block in space.

In 14', we had both smelter and Waller that could stretch the field vertically and teams couldn't cheat up or crash like they did last year and this year. Until we can consistently hit some passes we will see 8/9 in the box and it will be a struggle.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don’t like the passing game argument that everyone throws out there. Our offense is designed to still work with 8 in the box.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
"Heart, show me some heart" ... this is a quote from Friday Night Lights the movie.
Sometimes it's not only about size and talent.
I think we have shown "heart", not only in fighting to the bitter end last Thursday but also in Ireland.
I'm hoping a big part of the OL issue's are inexperience ... which seemingly is very fixable.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Navy starting OL:
6'2" 295
6'5" 312
6'3" 295
6'2" 327
6'6" 300
I think the main thing here is their schedule, not their size:

Forham … UConn … Tulane … Air Force … Houston … East Carolina … Memphis … USF … Notre Dame … Tulsa … SMU … Army

Our OL would look pretty good against 10 of those opponents, I bet. (Shoot, we'd look good against ND too, probably.) They call them Power5 conferences for a reason.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, as @takethepoints says, Navy plays a comparably soft schedule. The typically play 1 or 2 pwr5 teams a year, including ND.

Last year, GT and Navy each played Tulane. GT averaged 7.84 yds/carry and won 65-10. Navy averaged 2.46 yds/carry and won 31-14. On the other hand, Navy had a much better game statistics wise versus ND, 6.49 yds/carry to 4.60 yds/carry.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Proper positioning for a block is essential and speed is a huge factor changing blocking angles to your advantage. When you take an angle anticipating to block someone a couple yards downfield (e.g. an a-back running an arc as a lead blocker) but they are already in your backfield before you can turn up, the angles don't work as well and often the play is defeated. I played DE in high school against many wishbone teams and not allowing the blocking "a-back" to position himself properly against me was key. In the Clemson game, often the safety flew to the ball so quickly that it required the a-back to take them on earlier and at a bad angle.

if I had a DEF vs Tech,, I would fly six guys in every down (varying the ones coming) and DARE JT to pass the ball--if the WRs can't beat the CBs then ,then the OFF will be overwhelmed--sound familiar?

Faulkner475

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's the thing about playing against 8 in the box. That's an advantage for Tech's offense. 8 in the box means 1 high safety, and some kind of cover 3 concept. What that allows you to do is pressure vertically with 4 players, and make the middle 1/3 defender choose, and he'll always choose wrong. What Tech has had trouble against isn't 8 in the box, like against Mercer (some) and Vandy (a lot). It's a 7 man box, with some kind of quarters or cover 2 concept behind it. This negates the 4 verts threat, and forces execution of the base offense. That's the where the issue has been against defenses with, as BC's coach would call them, dudes. Tech needs to execute the base stuff to get that 8 man box, and then it's big play time. If opponents can stuff rocket, triple, counter, and midline with 7, there's no way to stretch the field vertically. So, as much as some would like to throw the ball more or stretch the defense vertically, the adage holds true just as it does in the NFL: you have to run the ball to throw it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Imo when we play the better teams our guys just feel as if they have to be perfect on every play and so they just overthink things way to much instead of having fun and just going out and playing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't buy the physical superiority causes the mental errors thing. We are not asking our guys to do supernatural things. Nor are we asking them to subdue supernatural beings. We are merely asking them, in many cases, just to slow another human being down by getting in his way. That guy may be faster and bigger but just getting in his way is not asking for the moon.

I do buy, to some degree, the speed of the game thing, against teams like Clemmons. Those guys were quick and got to spots ahead of time that our guys were used to, causing some pains in execution.

What I believe, more than any of this, is that our guys were tight. They were excited and to some degree their brains shut off. Pressure does that sometimes. Those of us who have played sports understand this. Adrenaline changes you and then adversity changes you too. Things that seem natural during practice time, seem foreign as hell when the lights come on and you get punched in the mouth.

You guys are probably really tired of my military analogies, but this is why Marine training is so darned stressful. They are masters at making you fear for your life during training exercises, before you even come close to the battle field, so, when you get there, it won't feel so different and you will remember what to do.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see us vary the snaps more often when teams get super aggressive like Clemson did. We forced them to jump once. Maybe we try that more often. Slow the game down...get them to stop being as aggressive.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't buy the physical superiority causes the mental errors thing.

What I believe, more than any of this, is that our guys were tight.

I buy it because I believe one begats the other. Our players are not stupid...they know when they are playing superior athletes.And when the margin of error is reduced, tension (or tightness) sets in.

To use a personal analogy (rather than a military one): I have played a lot of golf in my lifetime. Been decent or OK for most of it (8-10 handicap back when I carried one). The one thing the inevitably causes me to play bad was a very long course. It just puts undue pressure on my game. I am not a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination but yet my driving ability is inversely related to the yardage of the course. I am not comfortable on a 460 yard par 4 because I know I have to hit my best drive to have any semblance of hitting the green in regulation. So i usually don't. Put me on the tee box of a 370 par 4 and I guarantee i will hit a better drive. It's psychological. I should hit the same drive right? But I generally don't.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't buy the physical superiority causes the mental errors thing. We are not asking our guys to do supernatural things. Nor are we asking them to subdue supernatural beings. We are merely asking them, in many cases, just to slow another human being down by getting in his way. That guy may be faster and bigger but just getting in his way is not asking for the moon.

I do buy, to some degree, the speed of the game thing, against teams like Clemmons. Those guys were quick and got to spots ahead of time that our guys were used to, causing some pains in execution.

What I believe, more than any of this, is that our guys were tight. They were excited and to some degree their brains shut off. Pressure does that sometimes. Those of us who have played sports understand this. Adrenaline changes you and then adversity changes you too. Things that seem natural during practice time, seem foreign as hell when the lights come on and you get punched in the mouth.

You guys are probably really tired of my military analogies, but this is why Marine training is so darned stressful. They are masters at making you fear for your life during training exercises, before you even come close to the battle field, so, when you get there, it won't feel so different and you will remember what to do.

Thanks. This makes sense to me. I also think Thursday nights at Tech affect mental acuity.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I also think Thursday nights at Tech affect mental acuity.

I agree with this. I reached the nadir of my adolescent stupidity at quarter beer nights at One-Eyed Jacks. which, of course, were held on Thursday evenings.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow - almost forgot about One eyed Jacks. Brings back memories of drunken chants at Spiro's of "I wants to see..... Eddie Lee (Ivery)"

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
The navy lineman is shocking. I asked a West Point guy who played football what the deal was with weight when I was in OBC. He said they could surpass height weight standards during the season only. They still had to pass a pt test though which includes a two mile run under 14:00. Not gonna happen at 300 lbs. no wonder they wipe the field with army.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
Guess they changed rules since 2001 lol, army's got 300 lb lineman. I can't believe they'd let a 300 lb fatbody run a platoon. Must be quartermaster douches. But they also let women be Rangers now so not too shocking.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My thinking is that the 14 team had more guys playing who had 4 or 5 years in Tech football program. Which also means they were more 21 or 22 or 23 year olds. Getting older means a good deal. More muscle, better knowledge of the system and more maturity. Think Tech will be fine.