Exciting times just around the corner!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
No, I was being serious. GT can be boring as hell, I know, so I'm glad I was able to entertain you.

Well I guess you'll be happy to know you're still mildly amusing me with how you seem to be attempting to create some message board drama out of nothing by being so snippy.

I'd be far more entertained if you actually explained why you think Vad was "stuck" here. You know, if you want to have an actual discussion instead of just throwing some childish sarcasm around.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree with many posts without calling them rants. So, the facts don't support your assumption. I called it a rant because of its emotionally angry tone.

I agreed with some of his concerns but disagreed with his thesis that our system ruins QBs as passers. Just because somebody says something you want to be true doesn't mean they've added value.

I didn't make that generalization in my statement - you did. So the facts don't support YOUR assumption.

Also, you see the angry tone because you want to see it. I just found the post a statement of fact. So please don't pass off your subjective judgement as fact.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I didn't make that generalization in my statement - you did. So the facts don't support YOUR assumption.

Also, you see the angry tone because you want to see it. I just found the post a statement of fact. So please don't pass off your subjective judgement as fact.

Fine, dude. Regardless if you agree with whether his post was a rant, I thought, and think it pretty obviously is. The generalization in your post to which I referred was entailed in the causal condition of your premise.

If you really want to discuss linguistics and discourse analysis, send me a pm. We can also discuss the meaning of the word fact since that one seems to be tripping you up.

TW had a top 15 passer rating in 2011. Saying

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
routes are a big problem for Hill. What does running routes mean. Does it mean physically going out 10 yards and cutting one way or another? That is 10% of running routes. In fact running routes are so much an issue for hill, he is basically been relegated to a clear out role. Go deep and free up the d for the under route. Time after time last year that is all he did. In fact so much so, you can literally google it and people online analyzed/talked about it.

What else is involved? launch points. DB inside outside tech and how to set him up based on your route. Reading coverage mid route. Reading coverage presnap. Body position in relation to S/CB zone. Body position in relation to passing windows the QB has to use. Then knowing all of this based on x,y,z position, multiple formations etc. And you have to do all this, identical to what the QB would read and react to. Plays in the NFL are all option routes....or largely option routes. WR predictability for a QB is THE number one goal...and it all comes down to running routes

If you don't think a baseline in doing much of this helps before you get into the NFL you are way off man. Its why some WR come in NFL ready and others don't.Same with QBs, ones who play in a more mature check and progression read system are more nfl ready vs others.
You mean players from other offensive schemes than ours send WRs to the NFL unprepared to run routes properly? Certainly not....that only happens in our O.

routes are a big problem for Hill. What does running routes mean. Does it mean physically going out 10 yards and cutting one way or another? That is 10% of running routes. In fact running routes are so much an issue for hill, he is basically been relegated to a clear out role. Go deep and free up the d for the under route. Time after time last year that is all he did. In fact so much so, you can literally google it and people online analyzed/talked about it.

What else is involved? launch points. DB inside outside tech and how to set him up based on your route. Reading coverage mid route. Reading coverage presnap. Body position in relation to S/CB zone. Body position in relation to passing windows the QB has to use. Then knowing all of this based on x,y,z position, multiple formations etc. And you have to do all this, identical to what the QB would read and react to. Plays in the NFL are all option routes....or largely option routes. WR predictability for a QB is THE number one goal...and it all comes down to running routes

If you don't think a baseline in doing much of this helps before you get into the NFL you are way off man. Its why some WR come in NFL ready and others don't.Same with QBs, ones who play in a more mature check and progression read system are more nfl ready vs others.
I have often wondered how can you not run a designed route the way it is designed. Sure, you might be bumped off stride sometimes, but there are hash marks and stenciled numbers, and the sidelines and all sorts of on-the-field landmarks to guide you. When I was 9 years old I knew what "go to the holly bush and cut to the sidewalk" meant---and I could do it. If they had to, in order to teach it, coaches could even put Arthur Murray dance school footprints on the practice field to teach left, right, left, right. How dumb must you be not to get the route right?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have often wondered how can you not run a designed route the way it is designed. Sure, you might be bumped off stride sometimes, but there are hash marks and stenciled numbers, and the sidelines and all sorts of on-the-field landmarks to guide you. When I was 9 years old I knew what "go to the holly bush and cut to the sidewalk" meant---and I could do it. If they had to, in order to teach it, coaches could even put Arthur Murray dance school footprints on the practice field to teach left, right, left, right. How dumb must you be not to get the route right?
If you are all alone on the field you are probably right.
Imagine yourself trying to run a quick slant with your defender lined up 3 yards to the inside just across the LOS.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not trying to bring this hijacked thread off-topic or anything ;)

But.. I too am excited about next season. I think we saw some flashes of things to come from the D being much more aggressive, I've got a lot of confidence in Smelter developing, and am counting on an uptick from the BBs with Laskey getting the major load.

I am disappointed to lose JHD and Cutsis - like any other sane fan would be - but believe CPJ is putting together a big push for an improved D and if nothing else a return to run dominant play calling should fit nicely with that effort.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

If only it were so simple. A read route often has 3 options. First option is the designated route...let's say it's a 12 yard skinny post. However, if the safety on your side is inside the nearside hash marks as you come shoulder-to-shoulder with the corner playing press coverage, you are supposed to break off the skinny post & do a sit down route between 5 and 7 yards in the open space between the linebacker and the safety.....unless the corner back is playing on your inside shoulder. At which point, you break it off into the flats at 9 yards to the out. However, if the safety is outside the hash, then your options might be the skinny post or the out route.

And oh by the way, the QB has to read the route the same way and all of that has to happen while you're sprinting down field as fast as you can with someone trying to knock you off your route and the QB trying to go through his progresssions at the same time he's avoiding the rush.

Edited to add:
Oh and all of that assumes you don't both read blitz. If you do and you're the hot route, you break off all of the above reads and go to your designated hot route zone and expect to receive the ball off a 3 step drop.

Not trying to bring this hijacked thread off-topic or anything ;)

But.. I too am excited about next season. I think we saw some flashes of things to come from the D being much more aggressive, I've got a lot of confidence in Smelter developing, and am counting on an uptick from the BBs with Laskey getting the major load.

I am disappointed to lose JHD and Cutsis - like any other sane fan would be - but believe CPJ is putting together a big push for an improved D and if nothing else a return to run dominant play calling should fit nicely with that effort.
How improved would our defense need to be to counterbalance the loss of Travis Custis? I think it is possible, but then we are back to where we have been, just with a diminished offense but an improved (improving) defense.