Everyone Please Read This

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Losing is difficult and things get emotional. I get it. However, I am growing concerned about the number of childish personal attacks and counter-attacks that are starting to become the norm on this board. As a moderator, I usually try to let things flow without intervening as much as possible. The Swarm has grown to become, IMHO, the best source of discussion and information of all of the GT boards out there. We didn't get to this point by calling each other names and tossing around insults. If you feel inclined to do so, please take your comments and business to the other sites that welcome such behavior. I'm just throwing out a little fair warning ahead of time. I am going to start taking action if I see more of it.

We welcome differences of opinion on all aspects of the program. Just back up your opinion with a well reasoned argument and express your opinions or disagreement without attacking people personally.

Thanks for indulging me.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I had to remove myself after the game, I was to pissed. I have a lot to say but I will relax and wait.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump .
Thanks for your input and ability to pull back on the reins and provide some mental clarity for this forum.
We as a group need to keep in mind that together we swarm is not just a statement for the team is for all of us. Being true fans we are in and passionate about the sport and the people who play the sport we've also got to keep in mind they're going to be growing pains along the way. We're finally seeing a backlash of how preseason polls ESPN all the different pollsters can provide us with a false sense of security on how our team will be. We are wanting to get past the point of mediocrity and when we get a glimpse of how things a team who competes and does well under pressure we feel like every time after that should be able to do the same.
I'm not sure where we go from here, but I hope we as a group can build these kids up and not tear of their world's down as well.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for posting this Boomer and do what you've got to do.
The reason I have gravitated to this board is because it is much more professional. The fans are knowledgeable and discuss issues like adults versus the sophomoric behavior displayed on other sites.
I'll have to quit coming here as well if that takes over. I pray it doesn't

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Being a Tech fan is so much more rewarding when the bandwagon is mostly empty. As much as I enjoyed the thought of wrecking the playoffs this year, I'm not really sorry to see the national media turn away.

Turns out all those seniors at the skill positions really did make a difference. No matter. Now we get to watch a new group grow up and learn, and come together. Will be a fun ride!

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The well-reasoned portion of your comment cannot be overstated. It seems like a lot of people are saying run outside more, or pass more. That's not analysis, or it's woefully incomplete. There are clear reasons why we're struggling, but a real discussion would involve why we're unable to, say, get to the second level with the line or why the A-backs aren't getting their blocks down, or what the defenses are doing tactically. In the absence of analysis around those items, it's simply griping, and that adds nothing.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks, @Boomergump, for trying to bring a little civility back to GTSwarm. I understand the frustration-filled & heat-of-the-moment postings during/immediately after the games so I've been staying away from the blog until mid-morning on Sunday. I've never been one that could contribute to the discussion concerning Xs & Os of play but I do like to read and learn from rational posters who offer reasonable, fact-filled analysis as opposed to reading juvenile/vicious postings. With that said, I will continue following GTSwarm but will most definitely start using the "IGNORE" function more.

AS ALWAYS, I SUPPORT OUR TEAM, COACHES, STAFF AND WILL CONTINUE TO YELL "GO JACKETS, STING 'EM"! #TogetherWeSwarm

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
As bad as it looks we still can win Coastal. We could have won both the games and still had a chance to after 3 quarters. Duke is a better team than we want to credit. Not like getting stomped by Boise State. It is not like getting beat by Kansas in 2010. I still think our success last year was as dependent on the pass as well as the run. The football gods were also favorable as to injuries also.

I still think we need to be able to hit quick slants and use it. With 6 to 8 crashing defenders saying we dare you to pass, we need to throw 1st or 2nd more. Special teams were a disaster yesterday. I hope the team sees more of how they can move forward than the doom and gloom on here. UNC is going to difficult if we can't move the ball. Put this behind and look to a silver lining. Season is not over yet. We can be much better. A lot of games to play. Go Jackets and turn it around.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
+1

This site is where I find professional analysis of my team. It's superb. The guys know where they made mistakes. They don't need me to point it out.

I don't know if student athletes read this site. I do know their parents read and post here. I won't say anything online I wouldn't say to their parents sitting in the stands next to me.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would also like to extend an invitation to the newer posters with 20ish posts. I know it can be cathartic to post after losses, but you're also missing out on the back and forth of discussion during the week and after wins.
We have plenty of fonts that look at things without gold colored glasses on, and the moderators let most things go, even if they are critical of the players or coaching staff, as long as it is constructive.
So I invite you to stick around, and perhaps think of rewatching the game again, then posting your thoughts and/or questions. If you watch games like I do, perhaps the Sweet Water and roller coaster of emotions are a bit too raw right after a loss to properly express your thoughts. That's why I keep my postgame comments to overarching "gut feelings" instead of calling out specific guys.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Don't ever venture into the chat on gameday if you're concerned with childish personal attacks.
To that end let me say 2 things:
  • I am often the only moderator in chat and freely admit I don't catch everything. During games I multi-task to the best of my ability. I look at stats, Tweet, try to see what's happening on the sidelines via binoculars, etc. Oh, and sometimes I get to watch the game uninterrupted too.
  • That said personal attacks are still not allowed in chat. Please send a message to the mods if users cross the line and we will review as soon as we can. Crossing the line includes getting on just to troll others. We can and will continue to ban for single games or longer if necessary.
Here are the complete Terms and Rules for those who want to brush up.
We would like to try to keep the community rules to a minimum as we want GTSwarm.com to become a great place for Georgia Tech fans to come discuss all topics related to Georgia Tech and its athletics teams. However, as passionate fans, we must also realize that discussions can get heated and turn ugly in a hurry. As a matter of keeping this site an open yet civilized place for all Georgia Tech fans, we have the following rules:

No Personal Attacks.
Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.

Any member who is intentionally obnoxious, abusive, disruptive, spammy, or "trolling" may be sent a warning as a reminder or even be banned without warning at the discretion of a moderator. These rules may be changed at any time without notice. However, if you have any feedback about the community rules or ways to improve the site in general please post here.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a welcome word, by way of thread. Thanks for effectively re-issuing a declaration of the kind of culture we need.

I have done what at least one other did-- simply stayed away mostly following the 2 losses. I just didn't want to have to absorb the negativity that even the best-hearted and dedicated fans might let loose. When I did take a peek, I did sometimes regret it. Folks are entitled to their opinions. And, believe it or not-- no one is any more bothered by what we've seen on the field these last 2 weeks. I acknowledge those.

In the aftermath of the 2 losses, here have been my thoughts:
* Boy, it didn't take much for some to plunge head-first over the side of the bandwagon. Cool it folks; there's a lot of season left. This is almost exactly the same point in the season last year where we all scratched our collective heads and thought all was lost after Duke and UNC.
* Some of the worst negativity has been posted by folks I don't recognize. People who have accumulated a few posts at some point, but don't seem (in my perception) to have been around much in the last year or so. Comes off as though they have been just waiting silently--tolerating the success--but hoping for some difficulty so that they could pounce again. Which leads me to....
* ....my gosh, folks--it's 2 bad games. What we've seen is a scary indicator. This could, in fact, turn out to be a disappointing season. But, let's let the guys play a little more and see what we end up with.
* Who in the world convinced some of you we were as good as the polls/media thought in the first place? The coaches have been whispering caution since the Spring. If you thought they were sand-bagging, I guess you've got your answer. We really weren't as great as some would have hoped. And, those first 2 games showed us nothing much that was relevant to the rest of the schedule.
* Finally, the same coaches who delivered last year's magic haven't suddenly forgotten how to coach. They didn't suddenly grow out of touch with today's players overnight. They didn't suddenly forget their own offensive/defensive schemes. So, some other angle on things might make a little more sense. Those who are actually qualified could explore (and indeed some have) those more constructive technical issues.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I remain fascinated--with a smidge of annoyed and disappointed thrown in-- at just how nasty some people on here can be. And, how consistently troll-ish some think it's okay to be with people they've never met.

Of course, I realize this is typical of social media in general.

As CPJ once said, "It's amazing some of the things people will say...when they're hiding behind anonymity and sitting on the couch in their Mama's basement." I think we're after a higher standard. I hope.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've been a Tech fan ever since I started watching football. I'm 38 now and just don't let a loss ruin my weekend like I use to do. Last year was a great year to be a sidewalk Tech fan and a great recruiting class to finish it off! I think this is going to end up being a rebuilding year and that's fine as long as we keep the bowl streak alive. A win against the Tigers, FSU, or the mutts would be nice too!

Animal02

Banned
This is a welcome word, by way of thread. Thanks for effectively re-issuing a declaration of the kind of culture we need.

I have done what at least one other did-- simply stayed away mostly following the 2 losses. I just didn't want to have to absorb the negativity that even the best-hearted and dedicated fans might let loose. When I did take a peek, I did sometimes regret it. Folks are entitled to their opinions. And, believe it or not-- no one is any more bothered by what we've seen on the field these last 2 weeks. I acknowledge those.

In the aftermath of the 2 losses, here have been my thoughts:
* Boy, it didn't take much for some to plunge head-first over the side of the bandwagon. Cool it folks; there's a lot of season left. This is almost exactly the same point in the season last year where we all scratched our collective heads and thought all was lost after Duke and UNC.
* Some of the worst negativity has been posted by folks I don't recognize. People who have accumulated a few posts at some point, but don't seem (in my perception) to have been around much in the last year or so. Comes off as though they have been just waiting silently--tolerating the success--but hoping for some difficulty so that they could pounce again. Which leads me to....
* ....my gosh, folks--it's 2 bad games. What we've seen is a scary indicator. This could, in fact, turn out to be a disappointing season. But, let's let the guys play a little more and see what we end up with.
* Who in the world convinced some of you we were as good as the polls/media thought in the first place? The coaches have been whispering caution since the Spring. If you thought they were sand-bagging, I guess you've got your answer. We really weren't as great as some would have hoped. And, those first 2 games showed us nothing much that was relevant to the rest of the schedule.
* Finally, the same coaches who delivered last year's magic haven't suddenly forgotten how to coach. They didn't suddenly grow out of touch with today's players overnight. They didn't suddenly forget their own offensive/defensive schemes. So, some other angle on things might make a little more sense. Those who are actually qualified could explore (and indeed some have) those more constructive technical issues.
A couple of more points....

THESE ARE KIDS.....many at this time last year were still thinking about who to take to the senior prom. I think many people forget the maturity level of most 18-22 y.o. (I try to forget mine) These kids are far more mature and have far more on their plate than the majority of most 18-22 y.o. and 98% of them will not be playing professionally in the future. They play for their own enjoyment and to entertain US.

IT IS JUST A GAME......winning or losing will not change the sun from rising, from Obama executing executive orders nor the republican congress from accomplishing nothing. It will not affect gas prices, the stock market or world peace. Yes losing hurts.....but get over it. If you think you can coach better than what we have now.......frikkin start off at the HS level and work your way up. I have to wonder how many of these negative posters ever played the game.