European Soccer

Milwaukee

Banned
I have a question about $. I looked at the payroll of a middle of the pack ( $ wise) EPL team. Roughy $90MM. In comparison, the average payroll of the NBA and MLB is roughly $120MM and the NFL about $220MM. I am sure roster size drives some of this disparity. These are quick estimates I eyeballed after a very quick google search and not presented as hard data..

One of the things that is intriguing (and beautiful) about the sport is the non stop (commercial free) play. I have said elsewhere that this may be what will push the sports popularity here in the US. Aside from selling ad space on jerseys, how do Euro soccer teams make up for the "lost" revenue from being commercial free?

I don’t know all the ins and outs but one cool way they make money is by loaning players. For example Achraf Hakimi, a Real Madrid player, is one of the best young backs in the world but he was too young and inexperienced to start over Marcelo at LB or Carvajal at RB, both world class players and tops at their position. So Hakimi is loaned to Borussia Dortmund for a large fee. This generates money for Madrid at the same time helping them long term by Hakimi gaining top flight experience in one of the major leagues and it helps Dortmund because he’s such a good player.

Milwaukee

Banned
Their tv deals are massive as well, EPL just signed a 3 year deal in China worth 560M. I don’t know what their USA deal is worth on NBCSN but I’m sure it’s massive as well. I wonder what their tv contracts are compared to the NFL NBA and MLB.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Their tv deals are massive as well, EPL just signed a 3 year deal in China worth 560M. I don’t know what their USA deal is worth on NBCSN but I’m sure it’s massive as well. I wonder what their tv contracts are compared to the NFL NBA and MLB.

Ask and you will receive. Here is average TV revenue (per term):

NFL - 255MM
MLB - 65MM (varies greatly due to regional as well as national deals)
NBA - 90 MM
EPL - 158MM

Again, this is real quick and very crude so don't take it as gospel but looks like the EPL teams (at least) are doing quite well for themselves. I am assuming that EPL is the preeminent Euro league but perhaps it is the Bundesliga or some other?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
which begs the next question...how/why is TV paying so much without the benefit of selling commercial time?????

slugboy

Staff member
which begs the next question...how/why is TV paying so much without the benefit of selling commercial time?????
Ads are still there, but there are fewer slots—before and after the game, and at halftime. There are also integrated ads—next to the score, and along the sidelines in electronic billboards.
In Europe, subscriber fees (pay TV channels) are typical.
NBC seems to be doing that too, but not sure how it fits into their new Peacock streaming service: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...n-premier-league-soccer-investment-2017-12-14

Milwaukee

Banned
Champions League starts in half an hour. CBS Sports Network and FuboTV

Man City vs Real Madrid (ManCity leads 2-1 on aggregate)
Juventus vs Lyon (Lyon leads 1-0 on aggregate)

LFG

Milwaukee

Banned
Bayern Munich destroyed Barcelona 8-2 to advance to the semis. Heads will roll tonight in Barcelona. That can’t happen to a world power on this stage, even if it’s done by another world power. Manager will for sure be fired but I expect several players and even some board members to lose their jobs in the next 48hrs over this massacre.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw the score at work. My immediate reaction was "I need a replay!" I have never pulled for Barcelona. Coutinho scoring the final 2 goals was the ultimate insult, and made me lol. ( Barcelona paid 130 something million to get him in a transfer, decided he didn't fit in, and then loaned him to Bayern Munich. Bayern Munich don't want him either and they're sending him back to Barcelona for next season.)

Milwaukee

Banned
Holy smokes what a game. Lyon advances past ManCity 3-1. Final 4 is set with 2 Bundesliga teams and 2 Ligue1 teams, both leagues which are heavily criticized for being “farmers leagues” from Premier League and La Liga fans on a regular basis.

Milwaukee

Banned
That will happen when your opponent gets a red card in the 2nd minute. Southampton played 88 minutes down a man.

Scratch that. The played 84 minutes down a man, and then another 10 minutes down TWO men, after a second red card.

Ouch!
Watched every second of it smiling. Shoulda had 10 but they botched a VAR replay on Cavani saying he was outside the box.

slugboy

Staff member
NBC is dropping NBCSN. The games that have been there will either go to the USA network or to Peacock streaming. (I'm guessing the paid streaming option and not the free streaming option, which I also guess will end before too long).
It's been the main place I've been watching Premier League this last year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You guys paying attention to the future of our USMNT? Well all know about Pulisic (**crosses fingers for him to stay healthy**), but other guys are playing big roles for big clubs in Europe: Sergino Dest - Barcelona, Weston McKennie - Juventus (dude is for real!), Gio Reyna - Borussia Dortmond, Tyler Adams - Leipzig...those are the big names right now. Got some young guys coming up as well.

USMNT just finished playing Trinidad and Tobago with MLS heavy roster and absolutely bossed them 7-0. The days of the USMNT taking a wrecking ball through CONCACAF is back!

Milwaukee

Banned
NBC is dropping NBCSN. The games that have been there will either go to the USA network or to Peacock streaming. (I'm guessing the paid streaming option and not the free streaming option, which I also guess will end before too long).
It's been the main place I've been watching Premier League this last year.
Correct. Right now the plan is for everything to go to Peacock. For years I’d get the NBC Gold package because I’m a die hard, but when they launched Peacock they pissed off millions of customers because they’re putting big time major matches on there. NBC Gold was great for die hards as they would show Newcastle vs Burnley, for example, for fans of those teams while NBCSN would have the big match a la Liverpool v Chelsea or something. Well since they launched peacock they purposely are putting a TON of the biggest matches on there just to FORCE people to buy it. There’s no where on earth that a company should charge a ppv subscription, which is essentially what Peacock is if you use it only for EPL, for ManU v Liverpool. And they put bigtime clashes like that on peacock on a regular basis now. EPL fans in the states are furious with all this crap.

Not soccer related but sports broadcast related: ESPN is bidding on the Sunday Ticket package and they’re planning to broadcast on their espn+ package. You obviously wouldn’t get the package with your standard $5.99 espn+ package so I’m interested how they’re gonna roll that out for pricing.