ESPN trollin GT fans

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Or, perhaps, just perhaps, this is the real impression that others have regarding our program.

I'm not trolling here myself; I swear.

But ask yourself this question? Do you think they'd write such an article for the sole purpose of stirring up GT's fans? Or do they perhaps really believe that GT is trending downward and isn't a contender?

Now, that's not me saying we aren't a contender. But I AM pointing out that others apparently think we aren't.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT has not been that good so there is no trolling here IMHO. We have done well in the weak sister Division (coastal). But we aren't that good overall. That's why our end of year rankings when compared to all D1 teams are 30, 14, 71, 45, 55, 40 for the CPJ years of 2008 to 2013. That averages out to 42nd in the last six years.

ESPN is just assuming that this year will be like 5 of the 6 CPJ years. ESPN has the odds on their side since Miami and VT own us which gives them the inside track for Coastal. People who like to talk about how good we are talk about our Coastal performance. Yes we backed into a Coastal win two years ago when Miami defaulted. Yes we had a juggernaut year in 2009.

But we should be in the conversation for third since I think we are as good or better than Duke or Pitt and usually beat UNC.
  • I don't see Duke repeating since they were largely the beneficiary of a weak schedule and timely injuries for the other team. We beat them the week after their QB was hurt, then they went on a tear. Duke is Duke. They finished 26th last year on their own juggernaut. I loved the ESPN rationale that they are going to be good since the coach says so. {They must no be talking to CPJ :sarcasm}
  • UNC always beats us on paper; this year they may do it on the field.
  • I don't know enough about Pittsburgh; they finished last year 50th to our 40th and have averaged 43rd over the last six years. Hardly a juggernaut either. We had trouble with them last year falling behind. Then a monsoon intensified and we pulled ahead.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Your life will be much better if you basically just disregard ESPN outside of live coverage.

But ask yourself this question? Do you think they'd write such an article for the sole purpose of stirring up GT's fans? Or do they perhaps really believe that GT is trending downward and isn't a contender?

Now, that's not me saying we aren't a contender. But I AM pointing out that others apparently think we aren't.

I think it's more likely Heather Dinich knows what fanbases she needs to pander to then what you mention here.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They don't make money writing about GT! We are not flashy enough, don't have as many 4 star recruits, or NFL prospects to talk about.

Who you gonna talk up for 2014 if you did write an article supporting our climb to the top? There is no real star to write about.

We can dream and hope for JT, Smelter, Custis, and Gotsis, but they don't have a record to really talk up yet.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
They don't make money writing about GT! We are not flashy enough, don't have as many 4 star recruits, or NFL prospects to talk about.

Who you gonna talk up for 2014 if you did write an article supporting our climb to the top? There is no real star to write about.

We can dream and hope for JT, Smelter, Custis, and Gotsis, but they don't have a record to really talk up yet.

Yeah because Duke/Pitt/UNC is where the money is at. They're just that incompetent.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I don't think ESPN is trolling GT fans.

I don't think its even remotely possible to substantiate a prediction of 1st, 2nd or 3rd based on who we lost and who's coming back. On paper, there's just not a whole lot there.

Will we finish in the top 3? Yep.

But if I wrote an article for ESPN saying as much, I'd be trolling a lot more than one fanbase.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think ESPN is trolling GT fans.

I don't think its even remotely possible to substantiate a prediction of 1st, 2nd or 3rd based on who we lost and who's coming back. On paper, there's just not a whole lot there.

Will we finish in the top 3? Yep.

But if I wrote an article for ESPN saying as much, I'd be trolling a lot more than one fanbase.

They could very easily argue that GT hasn't finished lower than 3rd. They just didn't want to say the obvious that UVA is the only team that's not looking like they have a shot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The Coastal is wide open. ESPN is trolling, but in a different sense. They're fishing for anything college football related in a pool with no fish. It's the offseason and they're a 24 hr sports news outlet that pays specific individuals to cover specific conferences year round. Try making apple sauce when you have no apples and you'll see what they're up against.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Coastal is wide open. ESPN is trolling, but in a different sense. They're fishing for anything college football related in a pool with no fish. It's the offseason and they're a 24 hr sports news outlet that pays specific individuals to cover specific conferences year round. Try making apple sauce when you have no apples and you'll see what they're up against.

I agree

and I hope they have a lot to write about in 2015 given JT's, Custis', Gotsis', and Smelter's heroic deeds performed in 2014.