ESPN: The 150 greatest teams in college football's 150-year history

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Two Georgia Tech national championship teams made the list.

117. 1952 Georgia Tech (12-0)
Titles:
None (Michigan State won AP, UPI)
Coach: Bobby Dodd
Led by: T Hal Miller, HB Bobby Morehead, C Pete Brown
What to know: The Yellow Jackets went unbeaten for the second straight season (they didn't lose in 31 consecutive games from 1950 to 1953). They shut out four opponents and allowed only 4.9 points per game. They won 10 games by 13 points or more, including a 24-7 victory over No. 7 Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl.
135. 1928 Georgia Tech (10-0)
Titles:
CFRA, HAF, NCF
Coach: Bill Alexander
Led by: C Pete Pund, B Ronald Durant
What to know: The Ramblin' Wreck won every regular-season game by at least 12 points, including defeats of Notre Dame and Alabama. But it's best remembered for the 8-7 Rose Bowl victory over California, with the winning points coming on a safety after the Bears' Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels returned a fumble to his own goal line, where a teammate tackled him at the Cal 1.

...and sure to cause a stroke or two:
122. 1990 Colorado (11-1-1)
Titles:
AP, FWAA (Georgia Tech won UPI)
Coach: Bill McCartney
Led by: RB Eric Bienemy, LB Alfred Williams, G Joe Garten
What to know: The Buffaloes tied Tennessee 31-31 in their opener and lost at Illinois 23-22 in their third game. But then they won 10 straight games, including victories over No. 22 Texas, No. 12 Washington, No. 22 Oklahoma and No. 3 Nebraska (and escaped Missouri with the help of an infamous fifth down). They defeated No. 5 Notre Dame 10-9 in the Orange Bowl to earn a share of the national championship.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
And we have the same number of teams on there as uga. Know they will love that....
What's That Smell.jpg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but they gave the NC that year to Mich State, who played fewer regular season games than Tech did and didn't go to a bowl. Tech was robbed.
I understand what you're saying now. For what it's worth, they have 1952 Michigan State at #115 overall, two spots ahead of 1952 GT.

Here's the explanation:
115. 1952 Michigan State (9-0)
Titles: AP, UPI
Coach: Clarence Munn
Led by: G Frank Kush, C Richard Tamburo, HB Donald McAuliffe
What to know: The Spartans went 9-0 for the second consecutive season and finished No. 1 in both wire-service polls to win the school's first national championship. The Spartans allowed 14 points or fewer in every game and defeated three ranked opponents -- No. 17 Penn State, No. 8 Purdue and No. 6 Notre Dame. It was MSU's last season as an independent before joining the Big Ten.

If you actually watched GT against Nebraska in 1990 there was no better team in America that day. No even close. GT would have demolished Colorado that day.
And if it hadn't been for a phantom clipping call, ND would have beat Colorado that night in the Orange Bowl. Colorado lived their entire season on "gifts".

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
If you actually watched GT against Nebraska in 1990 there was no better team in America that day. No even close. GT would have demolished Colorado that day.

ill never forget that game or that day. i was in a bar watching the game by myself. as my luck would have it.... or theirs i was sitting at the bar with half a dozen nebraska grads. before the game they were just ragging me to no end. georgia who?

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1991-1-1-georgia-tech

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
ill never forget that game or that day. i was in a bar watching the game by myself. as my luck would have it.... or theirs i was sitting at the bar with half a dozen nebraska grads. before the game they were just ragging me to no end. georgia who?

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1991-1-1-georgia-tech
That setback before a record crowd of 72,328 at Citrus Bowl Stadium ......

5,000 Husker fans in attendance. I guess we now know what it takes to sell out a stadium with Tech fans.