ESPN says we have

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, I disagree. Our problem is systemic and cannot be changed: we are a small school with rigorous academics, limited majors, and too few fan$ in the local market to compete on a level playing field with the semi-pro teams that surround us in all directions.
Is there a solution?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I hate everything about this thread, from the click bait themed title to the general content and comments inside... Including this one.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
One time long ago ND had a great coach but followed him w a great high school coach. That was a disaster!
Forgot his name

CGC and Tstan initially shopped in the G5 department store and then only hired rookies or and journeymen.
They must have some more $ as we have journeymen from P5 schools.

We have much more talented players and much more expierenced asst coaches. Now we need a good experienced head coach.
Gerry Faust. He was, I think, the head coach of the powerhouse Moeller (spelling?) program but became the butt of much ridicule even by his own players as the Irish were perceived as running a high school offense. Towards the end of his tenure, Irish fans sported buttons and signs saying: "OUST FAUST" Clever huh? They must have known something though because Lou Holtz came in and turned them around in two seasons. Funny what good coaching can do with reasonably decent talent. Coach Faust never won more than 7 games and had a losing record his last year.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Gerry Faust. He was, I think, the head coach of the powerhouse Moeller (spelling?) program but became the butt of much ridicule even by his own players as the Irish were perceived as running a high school offense. Towards the end of his tenure, Irish fans sported buttons and signs saying: "OUST FAUST" Clever huh? They must have known something though because Lou Holtz came in and turned them around in two seasons. Funny what good coaching can do with reasonably decent talent. Coach Faust never won more than 7 games and had a losing record his last year.
we should also take a page out of their book and hire a well known cheater like lou holtz. that guy was an absolute scumbag cheater but that may be what we need to turn the corner lol

JacketFan137

Banned
The last time we had a decent team before CPJ we had a scumbag coach, so there may be something to your point...
listen as long as it’s not a violent or sexual misconduct thing (art briles or anyone else in that vein) i’m down. at this point though NIL has completely destroyed the cheating advantage cause now you can legally give the player a pontiac instead of being secretive

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
listen as long as it’s not a violent or sexual misconduct thing (art briles or anyone else in that vein) i’m down. at this point though NIL has completely destroyed the cheating advantage cause now you can legally give the player a pontiac instead of being secretive

Our scumbag was on the violent side. I'd rather lose 12 games than have a coach like that grace our sidelines ever again.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, I disagree. Our problem is systemic and cannot be changed: we are a small school with rigorous academics, limited majors, and too few fan$ in the local market to compete on a level playing field with the semi-pro teams that surround us in all directions.
Most of our schedule aren't semi-pro teams that surround us in all directions. Outside of Clemson (recently) and uga, we've been pretty competitive with the "semi-pro" teams in Florida. So, we play 2-3 games against teams that will always be hard for us to beat, the rest we've beaten consistently enough that we should be able to compete with them year-in/year-out. Until Miami and FSU (and maybe UNC) actually play up to the caliber of their recruiting, we should be relatively competitive, year over year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So, we play 2-3 games against teams that will always be hard for us to beat, the rest we've beaten consistently enough that we used to be able to compete with them year-in/year-out. Until Miami and FSU (and maybe UNC) actually play up to the caliber of their recruiting, we should be relatively competitive, year over year.
FIFY. We haven't been competitive with too many teams for the last few years. I also wouldn't count on Da U, FSU, and UNC continuing to flub up in future.

We need what has always saved Tech's bacon: an offense or defense (preferably both, of course) that is hard to stop and is tuned to the kinds of players we can get into school and keep until they are seniors. As I keep saying, if Wake can do it, Tech can do it. All we need to do is disenchant ourselves and face to the reality of our situation. And act accordingly in all phases of the program, of course.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FIFY. We haven't been competitive with too many teams for the last few years. I also wouldn't count on Da U, FSU, and UNC continuing to flub up in future.

We need what has always saved Tech's bacon: an offense or defense (preferably both, of course) that is hard to stop and is tuned to the kinds of players we can get into school and keep until they are seniors. As I keep saying, if Wake can do it, Tech can do it. All we need to do is disenchant ourselves and face to the reality of our situation. And act accordingly in all phases of the program, of course.
"And keep them until they are sr".( Assuming we are just average in coastal) so we can improve our record .
That deserves so discuss.
No easy classes at gt , limited course selection, guys come in w collage credits , gt degree has real value. All players get injured.

Really good question.

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm not. I don't think that approach will work and I think the evidence is on my side so far. We'll see this year, but, frankly, I don't expect much change. Then we'll see what happens. Because something will.
the only evidence on your side really is collins is bad. that doesn’t mean that one system is or isn’t effective. the option was getting crushed by clemson and uga and pretty much rendered useless by any big teams. there’s a reason no one else in p5 football is running it and it really shouldn’t come back

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
the only evidence on your side really is collins is bad. that doesn’t mean that one system is or isn’t effective. the option was getting crushed by clemson and uga and pretty much rendered useless by any big teams. there’s a reason no one else in p5 football is running it and it really shouldn’t come back
Do you honestly think we can run a pro style offense with mostly three star players and start lighting up the scoreboard against UGA, Clemson, and the other big teams?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
On offense we lost our three best offensive linemen, our two best running backs, one of which is one of the best players in the country, and three of our top 4 receivers. I think Long is an obvious upgrade but expecting him to significantly improve the offense in one year losing that much production is a fools hope.
We were 95th in scoring and 92nd in total offense. I wouldn’t call that losing production. More like losing lack of production.

Not a knock in the guys, just a result of poor scheming. Individual plays weren’t terrible, but it seemed that there was no rhyme or reason to when and why we ran them.

We should easily improve even with a different set of players.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Your default is to immediately attack “the option.” Frankly, to me, that bogs this conversation down in the same old ruts.

All I was saying is that I’m willing to give a “pro style” coaching system one more chance. The poster you responded to thinks we’ve already seen enough evidence. Whether he is right or I am right, both of us can see with our own eyes that the only system that has gotten consistently crushed at Tech is the pro style offense.

Every other system we have run at Tech has its ups and downs but only what Gailey and Collins have run has been consistent and I don’t mean that in a good way. Consistently disappointing.

But we will see this year what happens. It will be a very important litmus test to see if this offense will ever work.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Your default is to immediately attack “the option.” Frankly, to me, that bogs this conversation down in the same old ruts.

All I was saying is that I’m willing to give a “pro style” coaching system one more chance. The poster you responded to thinks we’ve already seen enough evidence. Whether he is right or I am right, both of us can see with our own eyes that the only system that has gotten consistently crushed at Tech is the pro style offense.

Every other system we have run at Tech has its ups and downs but only what Gailey and Collins have run has been consistent and I don’t mean that in a good way. Consistently disappointing.

But we will see this year what happens. It will be a very important litmus test to see if this offense will ever work.
Unless the Ncaa grows a pulse, big changes are coming.
There will be plenty of winnable games in the future for gt.

The moving of the top teams ( think clem, FSU, Miami) to a super conference of 40 ish teams is a given. TV money will greatly increase at these schools so they can richly pay/ pamper coaches and players. The TV money will be greatly reduced for those not in the new super conference. The left behind will be like a better regional form of the G5. Ticket sales for the many NO TV games will be more important. We should be a big fish in the smaller pond.

We will be able to run whatever scheme is most pleasing to the stake holders.

JacketFan137

Banned
i would say the same to you about anything not related to the option. it’s over and done and never coming back. it had some good years but it was trending very poorly. collins came in and was bad but that’s a collins thing not related to some specific system. if the option was effective at this level you would see a lot more teams running it.

it’s also a little reductionist to narrow every system down to pro style or not. what long wants to run is very different so i will like to see what direction he goes

also the chan slander is funny considering him and johnson HAVE THE SAME WIN PERCENTAGE

JacketFan137

Banned
Do you honestly think we can run a pro style offense with mostly three star players and start lighting up the scoreboard against UGA, Clemson, and the other big teams?
not like the option was doing it either though. we lost to clemson very badly every year after 2014. we beat uga 3 times in 10 years and the last few weren’t particularly close either. i’m not sure a pro style offense is the way to go but the option certainly is dead